BMIBaby: AMS-CWL-AMS

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
nldogbert

BMIBaby: AMS-CWL-AMS

Post by nldogbert »

Intro:
This flight was booked way back in May. I saw that BMIBaby was having a sale. I managed to grab a return for about 60+ euro incld all fees. On that same day I checked for prices quoted by KLM and it was more than double this. So, a good buy in my opinion. Anyway, this will be my first time using this airline and also my first time using the H-pier and first time flying and visiting Cardiff.

AMS-CWL
Date: 08 July 2006
Flight: WW 2992
Dep. time: 0945 delayed to 1020
Arr. time: 1005 arrived 1050
Seat: 25A

I arrived at around 0830 at AMS. The night before I checked the website to see if I could do internet check-in, but sadly this was only limited to some destinations originating from Cardiff. Anyway, checked the screen and was to check-in at Terminal 3. When I arrived near the check-in line for BMIBaby, it was madness. In fact it was madness all over the terminal due to the beginning of summer vacation. I asked my friend to wait in line meanwhile I tried to find the handling agent (Servisair) for BMIBaby. I told them if it was possible to check-in at any self check-in machine and was told no, but she said I could check-in with her if I had only hand lugagge, which I did. I thought of going through the passport control in Terminal 3, but the line was so long. Decided to go to Terminal 2 for that. Walking along the tunnel to Teminal 2, the check-in line for KLM flights were even worst, though it was not too bad if you were in Business/Elite check-in. Anyway, the airport authority was clever and opened another hall for passport control to the non-schengen side. It was really busy everywhere. My first time at the airport during this period as I normally do not like to travel during summer vacation time. Anyway, walked along the Holland Boulevard and visited the Rembrandt Museum.
Holland Boulevard
Rembrandt Museum

Saw the following action at the airport (which were the nearly the same flights I saw when I went to BOS about 2 weeks ago)

China Airlines

After that, walked to pier G where most of the flights to US except for Northwest left. Saw lots of flights this morning to the States.
also saw for the first time the new Delta Uniforms. It looked nice on some of the FA's but for some it did not pass well. No judgement on this. Besides Delta crew, saw other crews too for US Airways. After this I thought of going through security check into Pier H, but saw that my flight was delayed to 1020. Waited some more around and at about 0945, decided to proceed to Pier H to check it out. Security was fast. Came towards this quasi Brussel walkway
:roll:
It was I swear nearly the same distance as walking from Pier B to A at BRU. Walking from security to the gate H1 was about 7 mins easy walking. The walls were decorated with bird eyes view photos of famous places in the Netherlands, very nice. Anyway, this is the waiting area at Pier H.
Very limited seating area. Would advise anyone using it in future to stay out of it and maybe be there about 15-20 mins before departure, a really low-frills terminal.
Managed to get these various shots from here
Pier G with US airlines

World tails at the remote stand
Kenya Airways 767 Pride of Africa
Pushing back to be brought to the gate for flight to Nairobi
At around 1015, I saw the my aircraft arriving
Than came this behind it
Sky Airlines

Later I saw this KLM Jumbo rolling by
After about 20 mins, boarding was called and we went down some stairs into the basement and continued on to the aircraft to Cardiff
Boarding from the back. I was greeted by a FA. First time after so many trips I had to present my boarding pass.
Situation inside during boarding
I was seated in the second row from the back.
BMIBaby seats
The pitch and width of the seats were not too bad. Much better than my experience with Ryanair last February.
Got this shot of the Jet2.com aircraft
Soon around 1050, doors were closed and pushed back begin. Safety demonstration followed. Too bad I was sitting away from the window with the view of the terminal, anyhow, caught the following
The fire practice plane
KLM Asia
And for the first time this Royal Air Maroc B747-300. I think it was due to the summer vacation and heavy traffic. Too bad I was not near the window to take it, but managed to get the tail section.. if it matters
Anyway, got to the runway for an immediate take-off
View of taking off
View of the Dutch flat lands
After reaching cruising attitude, the FA's got to work to start the sales item. Prices were ok, not too bad, about 5.50 euro for a sandwich. I did not get anything anyhow, had a short shut-eye. Flight time was around 1 hour. In the middle of the North Sea, we had some short turbulence, but nothing heavy. About 20 mins from Cardiff, we were still flying over water. It was only around 5 mins before landing we saw land. The Taft river
The Millenium Stadium
Soon, we landed.
It was a cloudy day but dry at least. Colder compared to AMS.
Saw this fire practice plane at CWL
We than passed throught the British Airways hangars, not sure if they had planes in them
The CWL airport sign
An Excel airways B737 to some sunny destination with winglets
After this, went directly to get the Airport X91 bus to the city center. Waited about 20 mins before it came. I think after our arrival, the Aer Aeraan flight from somewhere in France arrived as there were lots of French speaking tourists on the bus.

After spending the short weekend in this nice city, it was time to leave. It was a rather cloudy day with on and off rain. It was also rather windy and cold at times.
CWL-AMS
Date: 09 July 2006
Flight: WW 2991
Dep. time: 1635
Arr. time: 1840
Seat: 2A

The airport bus left the city centre around 1405, and I arrived at the airport at 1450. Checked the screen and it was listing the check-in counters for the flight as 15-17 which was showing the KLM flight. Waited and saw after waiting 5 mins in front of it with other passengers that it was actually at counters 8-9. After a short wait, was checked-in and requested seat 2A.
Check-in area at CWL
Inauguration memorial
Pre-departure area on the first floor before security check
The Fast-Track room, which I have no idea for who or what airline (anyone knows?)
Than I proceeded to the departure area after the security check
Waited for nearly an hour in this area before annoucement were made to which gate our flight would depart.
Gate area
Saw the flight to Edinburgh
Flight to Prague
Saw this Eastern airways arriving. No idea where it was from.. I saw in the terminal that this airline flies to Brussels, no idea if it still does
Soon, we were called to board. We were sent down a stairs where we waited again for about 5 mins before we were allowed to walk towards the aircraft.
Got this shot of the Eastern Airways
10 mins later, doors were closed and safety demonstration we were off.
I noticed that we had the same male FA as my flight yesterday. I think he later recognized me as he smiled and looked surprised when he was collecting the service items before landing.
Saw this Roman bridge while taxiing
Soon, we started the take-off roll and left the coast of Wales
It was a turbulent climb, but soon was gone. Flight was smooth all the way. I actually fell asleep again until nearly time to land at AMS. We came in from the north and flew across this port terminal
It was really cloudy as we descended. After about 10 mins, we landed at the Polderbaan. We landed at 1840 but arrived at the stand 10 mins later.
Control building at the Polderbaan
The control tower view from the Polderbaan
At the the H pier area, we were the only flight. After parking, doors were open in about 2 mins and we were out of the plane. I managed to do that 10 min hike to passport control and out of the terminal into train at 1900. I think I even surprised the passport guy since he was walking towards his station and I was like ahead of him

In general, I would say that BMIBaby is not a bad product. Inflight seats were good and FAs were friendly. Other than that, it is good value for money. I will try them again with the right price and of course depending on destination too. Well done to them. :P
Last edited by nldogbert on 10 Jul 2006, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

regi

Post by regi »

We bow our heads and mumble in humbliness: thank you for this report.
Well done, keep up the good work.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Nice to see that they actually use both the front and rear doors at pier H, that explains why it has a faster turnaround time.

Stepha380

Post by Stepha380 »

they actually use both the front and rear doors at pier H,
Makes me think, did you have an assigned seat ?

I think it is one of the advantages of LCC. I really don't like to wait in the aisles. Just put your bag in the bins, sit down, read the safety card, sit back and relax...

nldogbert

Post by nldogbert »

Stepha380 wrote:
they actually use both the front and rear doors at pier H,
Makes me think, did you have an assigned seat ?

Yes, they did have assigned seating. Personally, I prefer assigned seating compared to free for all. Comparatively I don't see any improvement in the boarding process between the two. I think having a seat assigned to you is much easier especially for families travelling together as with free for all seating, you might have to ask passengers to move if the seating is all taking up and not enough for the whole family to fit in a row.

One thing with BMIBaby is that they also have pre-boarding for passengers that need it. Which I think is good as it remains humane than with other LCC.

Thanks again for all that took time to read the report. This could be my last one for a while since I will be beginning a new job soon and would not have much time to fly. :(

8)

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Great report! A lot of great pictures too. And yes Eastern still flies to BRU. The funny thing i that that exact J41 (G-MAJJ) Was the same used 2 saturdays ago to make the evening flight. Could that have been the same flight?
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Harry-Spotter

Post by Harry-Spotter »

great report and very nice pictures too.
The Kenya Airways is a 767 and not a 777 :wink: . A very nice ac which flies above Namur very often on its way to AMS.
Cheers
Laurent

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Again an example of a state-of-the-art report! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and good luck on the new job!

Stepha380

Post by Stepha380 »

I think having a seat assigned to you is much easier especially for families travelling together as with free for all seating,
Easyjet let the families board before everybody at Luton (pushchair or small kids) and I think it is a good idea.
Generally I prefer when there are two doors in use, especially if the plane is a 321, maybe because I am looking forward to hearing the sound of the engines.

nldogbert

Post by nldogbert »

Harry-Spotter wrote:great report and very nice pictures too.
The Kenya Airways is a 767 and not a 777 :wink: . A very nice ac which flies above Namur very often on its way to AMS.
Cheers
Laurent
Thanks for poiting it out. Did not know that they have finished repainting their 767 fleet too in the new colours.. so I just assumed it was the 777 :P

Oh, i did not know that they flew over Namur, do you get to see it clearly on a clear day? That would be interesting..

A great appreciation for the comments :8

:)

Harry-Spotter

Post by Harry-Spotter »

Oh, i did not know that they flew over Namur, do you get to see it clearly on a clear day? That would be interesting..
Yes I see it almost every day when it is not cloudy, I always have my binoculars with me in the garden :wink: It flies over my house at around 6 PM on its way to AMS and it is quite low I must say, always a pleasure to see it...