AMS-ZRH-LIS with Swiss A321 and A320

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
earthman

AMS-ZRH-LIS with Swiss A321 and A320

Post by earthman »

While waiting for my return flight to ZRH and then to AMS, I will type up a few remarks about the trip to LIS.

This was my first A320 series flight, which is the main reason I didn't take a direct flight to LIS from AMS.

Swiss managed to get a huge check-in line at AMS, but despite this, we took off on time. The plane was an A321 (don't ask the reg), and I was sitting in seat 8A. First thing I noticed when I got on board was that Airbus had placed the row numbers on little protrusions UNDER the overhead bins. The result was that at first I didn't see the row numbers at all. It turns out that if you are 1m87 tall like me, you cannot see the row numbers at all when standing upright.

The seats were ok. I was sitting in the row before the second door, so the wall was a bit too close to my shoulder, but otherwise the seats were comfortable. This is one of those funny rows that has a 2+3 layout, but the two seats actually have a super narrow third seat in the middle, which I can't imagine ever being used anyway. On the other side of the aisle, one row further to the back, was a very curious looking contraption, that turned out to be an FA seat.

Besides the row number thing, the cabin does seem to look nicer than a 737, although I really couldn't tell that it was a bit wider than a 737.

On takeoff, the plane started making an awful loud buzzing sound. No clue what it was, other than that it had something to do with the engines. Fortunately, it stopped when we were at cruising altitude. Other than that, the plane did seem more quiet than a 737.

The food was um, ok, so we got a muffin, a drink, and a piece of chocolate. Then we got another muffin. The flight took an hour, so the food is not that important anyway.

The IFE consisted mainly of a map of where we were and where we had been flying previously, along with other info like altitude, ground speed, etc. And of course a totally uninteresting lot of commercials and Swiss info. No PTV's, just those drop-down LCD screens once every few rows.

We got to Zurich on time, and I barely had time to look around the airport, before we had to board the next flight.

This time around it was an A320. Swiss has installed very thin carbon seats in this plane, which look nice, but the back of the seats is very hard. I don't know whether they used the thinner seats to squeeze in another row, but whatever. Legroom was still ok. This time I knew where to look for the row numbers, so I quickly found my seat, 10A. This turned out to be a bad place to sit, as it's in front of the overwing exits, and this seat does NOT recline. In combination with the hard back, and the long ZRH-LIS flight, it's not all that comfortable. I really have no clue why Swiss says the seats are more comfortable than the old ones, unless the A320 previously had different seats than their A321, which were even worse than the new A320 seats, but that's kind of hard to imagine.

The A320 did not make any buzzing noise on takeoff, so I guess that it is not a common thing for the A32x series to do.

The food on the ZRH-LIS flight consisted of one whole not too large sandwich. On a 2:45 flight. Yeah. Great. But at least the sandwich was really good. The IFE was the same as on the other flight, nothing very interesting there. We left on time, we arrived on time. My luggage also arrived in LIS on the same flight, so that was all good. Except they managed to break off the handle (which wasn't a very sturdy handle anyway, it had broken off on the other side previously, and not even during airline handling but during normal use). If the half-detached handle is still on the suitcase when it gets to AMS today, I will just fix it like I did the previous time.

I am now waiting for my return flight to ZRH, this time both legs will be an A320, and I managed to get my favourite seats on both legs (the first row behind the business class section). I wonder if these carbon seats are better if they do recline.

One more thing, the windows. They are indeed smaller than on the 737, but at the same time, they seem to be better positioned, actually giving a better view (at least, for someone as tall as me). However, they don't seem to be tinted at all, so all the clouds and the sun are really very very bright. Never seemed that way on the 737, and the E-170 seems to have sunglass-tinted windows, which is even better during the day (but bad at night though, can't see a thing outside).

earthman

Post by earthman »

Inside the plane, still at the gate, WiFi still working.

Just a quick remark, this is a Swiss A320, but it doesn't seem to have that new interior. The seats have earphone jacks, not sure if they work.

The safety charts say 'A320E', what kind of plane is this? I'll try to see the reg on my way out. Row 6 seems to have a slightly different kind of seat than the rows behind it (same seat as the business class in front of it) with some kind of extra side supports on the back. It also has one of those slide-up headrests with foldable ears. There's someone sitting next to me, and it appears that indeed those extra few inches of width compared to the 737 do make a difference.

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, it seems you liked your first A32x experience :)

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

On takeoff, the plane started making an awful loud buzzing sound. No clue what it was, other than that it had something to do with the engines. Fortunately, it stopped when we were at cruising altitude. Other than that, the plane did seem more quiet than a 737.
The aircraft probably had a high load. The Easyjets do that a lot.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Kaninchen87

Re: AMS-ZRH-LIS with Swiss A321 and A320

Post by Kaninchen87 »

I managed to get my favourite seats on both legs (the first row behind the business class section).
Ow I don't like those seats at all.

I like looking around during a flight...and when they close that little curtains, I can't see a thing.

Why do you actually like that seets, because of safety reasons?

Greets and have a nice flight :wink:
Kaninchen.

earthman

Post by earthman »

I like them because they are at the front of the plane, so there is usually less noise, you can get off the plane quickly (getting on the plane is less of an issue as that's more about being the first to stand in line when boarding begins), you are one of the first to get your food and drinks served.

Those rows are nice on Swiss because they have curtains hanging there, which you can open up a bit (or someone did that before you, and the crew didn't close it back). KLM has these hard shells instead.

I tend to rather look out the window or do whatever. It also makes the plane seem smaller and more cozy (until you look behind you).

Let me complete the trip report now.

The LIS-ZRH plane was something that the safety card called an A320 E, like I wrote before. It was different from the other A320s. Originally, this flight was supposed to be flown by an A319, but they changed it at some point. This A320 had a different interior than most of their A320s, with adjustable headrests, and some thick boxes under the seats limiting the space for your feet. Probably for the headphone jacks and channel controls in the seats. Which didn't do squat, of course. But most importantly, it had cameras hooked up to the IFE. Yes, it had a forward-looking camera probably attached to the left side of the nose gear, and some downward looking camera somewhere. So, during takeoff, we had a forward view on the IFE! Until the thing started showing blue sky (we were climbing, after all), at which point it switched to the downward camera (not as interesting, might as well look out the window). This IFE also didn't show the expected arrival time, but it did show groundspeed, temperature, time, and altitude. Occasionally a map of where we were. Not long before the landing they switched the cameras back on, first the downward one, but then they switched to the forward one. Neat, now we could all watch how the pilot tried to fly more or less in the direction of the runway. I must say, those landings look somewhat less easy from this view than when you're simply staring out of the window. It actually looked as if he was going to miss, but then I realized the camera was a bit off-center towards the left. The camera remained on until the plane powered down at the gate (thus ending how we started, watching a pushback truck).

Most of this flight however, the IFE showed a repeating video showing how wonderfull Swiss cities were. Yawn. Another point of critique, on the AMS-ZRH flight, the IFE showed our arriving gate, along with a map of the airport, and it showed the times and gates of onwards directions. Quite useful, especially if you're new to the airport. However, on LIS-ZRH there was no such thing.

The food was some small heated calzone thing. Not very interesting. Swiss really skimps on quantity, but this one wasn't all that tasty either.

The ZRH-AMS flight was uneventful, again an A320, this time with the new interior. I did get a reclining seat this time, so I must say, these seats are quite okay, although I missed the adjustable headrests from that other A320. This new interior does appear to offer more legroom. The armrests are narrower, but the seat is wider, so I guess you still have the same amount of lateral space.

The safety video was of poor visual quality, probably a worn out tape. The purser even apologized for it. For the whole flight, the IFE alternated between the Welcome to Swiss screen, and a screen showing estimated arrival time, current time, and outside temperature. Nothing else. No map, no altitude, no speed. I hope the pilots did have this info. ;-)

Food was a swiss cheese sandwich. Not as great as the ham sandwich on the ZRH-LIS flight, but good nevertheless. And of course the piece of chocolate they give on every flight.

We flew over BRU this time, not over whatever it was in Germany when we flew in the other direction. I checked with Google Earth that it's almost on the way from ZRH to AMS. I always thought it was way off in another direction. Then again, I once thought ZRH was at least a little bit in the direction of LIS. Turns out it's only 100km closer to LIS than AMS, but AMS-ZRH is 600km.

All four of my flights were on time, and my luggage didn't get lost. (Although it did suffer a half torn-off handle. But I repaired it now.)

Both of today's A320s buzzed on takeoff. Also, it seemed to me that the second one produced more wind noise in the cabin than the first one, even though I was seated two rows further forward (4A vs. 6A). Or is there more of such noise further to the front of the plane? They had differently colored wall panels, perhaps the new interior includes thinner and ligher wall panels, which are not as good at keeping noise out?

Anyway, tomorrow morning I will be off to WAW, back on monday. That'll be 6 flights in 8 days.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

So how was the load factor? Was it higher on the buzzers? ;)
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

earthman wrote:lAnd of course the piece of chocolate they give on every flight.
Hmmm.... I love these chocolates!

Thank you for the report, i wasn't aware that the a320s had external cameras! sounds Great!

Avro

Post by Avro »

Nice reports !! Thanks for sharing
fokker_f27 wrote:
The aircraft probably had a high load. The Easyjets do that a lot.
:laugh: If only it would be related to the load of an aircraft. One could tell from the outside if the plane is full or not :lol:

The buzzsaw noise coming out of the engines (especially heard on the airbus models) has to do with the sound waves in the intake and on the fan. I'm not aware of the correct reason anymore (I could research it again if you want). All I recall is that some unsteady supersonic sound waves are present and this is what creates the buzzsaw noise.
Thank you for the report, i wasn't aware that the a320s had external cameras! sounds Great!
IIRC only the ex Swiss Sun A320 are equipped with the camera.

Chris

Ovostar

Post by Ovostar »

why "ex" swiss sun ?

it doesn't exist anymore ?

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Ovostar wrote:why "ex" swiss sun ?

it doesn't exist anymore ?
I believe it was folded back into Swiss some time ago...

earthman

Post by earthman »

Oh dear, compared to the Swiss Airbuses, the KLM 737-300/400s have really bad interiors. And the Airbuses do look more spacious, and they feel more spacious too (seat and aisle width wise). How are the KLM 737-800/900s?