American Airlines flight BRU-JFK-BRU

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
favourite_belgian

American Airlines flight BRU-JFK-BRU

Post by favourite_belgian »

Flew BRU-JFK-BRU a couple of weeks ago on AA in economy. Had bought the tickets online with SNBA who have a code-share agreement with AA. Plane was a 767 and looked quite old. There were no individual entertainment screens, not even in business class I noticed. Got a set of ear phones that didn't quite plug in that well, resulting in some static and loss of audio at times. My friend, who sat next to me, had to hold on to the plug if he wanted to hear anything at all. The entertainment was quite ok but you obviously had no choice what you wanted to watch as it was projected on a central screen.
Cabin crew were very unfriendly and looked as if they did not like to be there. When first drinks were served I ordered a gin and tonic but had to pay either five dollars or five euros. I ordered a coke instead. Was quite surprised to see that you had to pay for alcohol and that the price in dollars and euros is the same, which is not exactly fair, is it? The SNBA website mentions that all meals and drinks on their longhaul flights are free. Obviously AA has a different policy. Meal was ok. The "meal" before arrival at JFK was not worth the name. I was expecting a sandwich but instead got a box with what can only be described as junk food. It contained a packet of crisps, chocolate, some white sweets, cheese crackers and some cheese.
When departing from BRU announcements were made in only English and French. Not a word in Dutch. Not even the safety instructions.
On the return flight there was only one flight attendant who was friendly. Again the meal was ok. Breakfast was one croissant, which was not wrapped but served straight on the tray.
Given the choice I will never fly AA again and I am quite surprised that SNBA is willing to see its name and reputation linked to an underperforming airline like AA.
The only positive thing I can say about AA is that they have an efficient boarding system whereby the plane is divided in sections. The ticket mentions the section that you are in and the sections in the back of the plane get to board first.

b720

Post by b720 »

:cry:

heard from many people that AA is at best an "underperforming" airline...indeed you must write SN and make a point out of this...unacceptable indeed

dna

Post by dna »

It is a real shame that AA has downgraded its economy service so much in recent years. I flew with them to Chicago a few times in 1999 and was impressed with the quality of crew and service. Excellent food and drinks, clean aircraft, no charge for wine. They even handed out brandy after the main meal service. A lot has changed since then obviously.

My parents flew Continental a few months ago, and from what they told me Continental's service seems just as bad as AA's, if not worse. It's about time SN start flying transatlantic in their own metal.

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

Well I flew AA in 2004 and I had a really good experience with them.
I've never had so much space in an aicraft. Crew was very friendly. I agree with your complaint about the entertainment but I never use it so it doesn't matter to me. :) Their meals were teasty (I compare with other airlines). The only bad thing was (but it's not AA's fault) the long waiting time for takeoff at ORD. I will fly them back 5 times this summer and I'm looking forward to it. :D

PS: I must commit that it was the first long-haul flight I've been on so i cannot comprare with other US airlines.

Yannick

A350-lover

Post by A350-lover »

I flew on AA to JFK as well, and the crew looked very stressed, so they were unfriendly and service was horrible.
Indeed, the seats in economy on AA are VERY spacious, which is great.

I flew to the US on Sabena just before their bankruptcy, and that was a great experience: personal entertainment system, spacious seats, very friendly service, excellent meals... I also hope that SN BA will start some long haul flights...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi everybody.
I think that the best flight to NY today is with CO.
New plane nice personal TV and a good service.
Also the train service to the Penn station is very good.
Regards
Patrice
Last edited by lumumba on 09 May 2006, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Re: American Airlines flight BRU-JFK-BRU

Post by sn26567 »

favourite_belgian wrote:When departing from BRU announcements were made in only English and French. Not a word in Dutch. Not even the safety instructions.
Be happy that they could speak one other language besides English! PanAm was so much better for that...

The times when Sabena was offering excellent service to the US are unforunately gone. Let's hope SN Brussels will start its own flights in a not too distant future.
André
ex Sabena #26567

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Unfortunately the US carriers have it pretty good from Brussels (ie no competition).
My tip would to be fly through Frankfurt on Lufthansa or Heathrow BA, just check which airline is actually operating the aircraft. I also get much cheaper prices doing that, also you get 4 sectors in and miss out on the terrible US airline service!
That's my tip!

Emirates

A318

Post by A318 »

Paying for alcholic drinks is very common on US carriers, Delta, United and US Airways all ask $5,- or (indeed) €5,- for any alcoholic drink. I must admit I don't mind since the ticket price is cheap and I just drink a coke or a sprite on board. Also paying for headsets is common, again the $5 or €5 price is there. Never flew AA since they don't fly from AMS. I must admit Continental seems to be the US carrier with the best service but look also what you pay for your ticket in that case. It all comes with a prices dear luchtzakkers!

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

favourite_belgian wrote:I was expecting a sandwich but instead got a box with what can only be described as junk food. It contained a packet of crisps, chocolate, some white sweets, cheese crackers and some cheese.
Apparently, you are not familar with how we Americans eat. :lol:

Anyways, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with AA.

Did you enjoy your time in the US?
Onward and Upward...

Jense

Post by Jense »

sn26567 wrote:
favourite_belgian wrote:When departing from BRU announcements were made in only English and French. Not a word in Dutch. Not even the safety instructions.
Be happy that they could speak one other language besides English!
Would your reaction have been the same if it was the case with French instead of Dutch? :wink:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Jense wrote:Would your reaction have been the same if it was the case with French instead of Dutch? :wink:
Of course, natuurlijk, bien sûr, selbstverständlich!
André
ex Sabena #26567

favourite_belgian

Post by favourite_belgian »

I had a great time in NY. I live in Shanghai and a city like NY is like a breath of fresh air. It's clean, not that many people and good service.

Thanks for answering for me, sn26567 and thanks to all for the tips.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

lumumba wrote:Hi everybody.
I think that the best flight to NY today is with CO.
New plane nice personal TV and a good service.
Also the train service to the Penn station is very good.
Regards
Patrice
I can't agree more. :D I fly them yearly AMS-IAH (also 764) and they have ptv's in econemy. Great games and movies on them. The service and meals are good. The aircraft are new, so the seats are still clean and neat looking.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

chunk

Post by chunk »

CAn't agree with that one. CO to the US is one of the last choices I would make. Crap service and as I have said before - a PTV i only good if there is anything worth watching. In my experience CO speciality is to put on obviously cheap crap made for tv movies, one or two blockbusters (which are usually terrible too) and friends. That said it sounds like Delta and AA are even worse.

My tip to NYC would be to go through AMS and get on a KL 777 or 332 .Or Virgin through London. Or even get AF - though often their IFE is no much better than CO's. At least they dont charge if you fancy a glass of wine as well.....

olympicbis

Post by olympicbis »

Out of the American carriers I have flown, the one I preferred is United - never flew Continental and would really like to try. My experiences on AA were short of horrible, unfriendly flight attendants, lousy food and inflight entertainment technology from the seventies, to name but a few of their highlights. As far as Delta is concerned, same as AA but with the addition that they definitely have in Atlanta the rudest possible ground staff which I ever faced in 12 years of intensive travelling worldwide ! Beware, they almost bite , and I was travelling on a "Business Elite" ticket...

Comet

Post by Comet »

The standard of service and the poor headphones sounds very familiar!

I had heard mostly good about AA, but this was before 9/11. We had a friend who liked to fly with them.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise