Charleroi-Bergamo-Charleroi with Ryanair

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
airazurxtror

Charleroi-Bergamo-Charleroi with Ryanair

Post by airazurxtror »

2 february 2006
flight FR 4522
CRL-BGY
Ryanair
Boeing 737-800
EI-DCX
scheduled 0630/0805
actual 0645/0800

Winter conditions in Belgium this tuesday morning, fog and freezing at CRL. After embarking the passengers, the plane was towed a bit farther to be de-iced. We then departed despite the fog, which was not very dense and in a thin layer.
( Besides the Russion helicopters a Hercules was parked - it was too dark for me to read its registration.)

In flight, I read in the newspaper that Aer Arann is about to launch flights from Liège to Luton (2/day), Birmingham (2/day) and Lorient (1/day). A very good news ! The price were said to be from 20 to 60 euros one-way.
Interesting. But I suspect that they are the prices without taxes, fees, and so on. For example, a Ryanair flight from Eindhoven to Stansted that is priced at 0.99 euro cost you actually 30.14 euros; and the same flight at 19.99 euros would cost 49.14 euros...

Seen on arrival at BGY : DHL A300B4 OO-DLW; and two An 24 (?) without markings, LZ-MNS and LZ-CBA.
Bright and sunny the whole day at Bergamo ...

2 february 2006
flight FR4525
BGY-CRL
Ryanair
Boeing 737-800
EI-CSE
scheduled 2020/2150
actual 2030/2150

After about an hour in flight, we were told by the pilot that the visibility at Charleroi was too low, and that we were to circle for about twenty minutes, and if visibilty had not improved by then, we would divert to Liège ...
But he must have seen an unexpected hole in the fog and jumped into it, as, without further notice, he landed at Charleroi a few minutes after, much to the surprise of the passengers, who had not expected so early a landing (and could not see a thing through the windows until the last moment...)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Short, but good. Thanks for reporting.
André
ex Sabena #26567

nldogbert

Post by nldogbert »

Hi!

Good report.. very similar experience minus the fogs and low visibility on my trip with them last Jan to Valladolid, taking advantage of their 0.01 cents fare :P

Not bad an airliner, but definitely not going to be my frequent carrier.. could not stand those 90° seats. Good for an impromptu dinner somewhere for the weekend :)

Stij

Post by Stij »

Off topic, I know!

Ryanair and fog. Deadly cocktail! It happened to me already twice that my flight into Treviso got diverted to either Brescia or Trieste.

Ryanair claims it's not their fault (of course, what did you expect, Irish never do something wrong). They say all airports in the area (including Venice Marco Polo) were closed and they are diverting to the nearest airport that was open were a bus was already waiting.

But!

Ryanair flies into cheap local Cat I airports instead of expensive Cat IIIb, so what do you excpect? That there's never fog in Northern Italy?
Marco polo was open (of course) but Ryanair doesn't have cheapo deals there so diverts to not so local airports were it has a deal. I know because around the same time my girlfriend landed there!
The bus wasn't waiting there (of course).

I don't blame them for doiing this (I KNOW I pay almost nothing for the flight) but I hate the lying and the misleading of the passengers. Mister O'Leary soemtimes thinks that because he offers the passengers cattle class that the passengers have cattle brains.

Tip: never ever try to argue with them, there're really bad losers. ;-) You should have seen their face when I told them my girlfriend just landed in Marco Polo while they said it was closed. Hilarious.

Tip 2: during winter, when you fly Ryanair, try flying to Bergamo it's Cat IIIb, so less troubles.

Cheers,

Stij

burner737

Post by burner737 »

I'm doing the same trip in March any tips for me airazurxtor ?

regards Tim

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

A good tip if you go to Milano by bus from Bergamo airport : the journey time is advertised as one hour, but it can vary widely according to traffic, and be much more if there are traffic jams : the trip to Milano took 1 hour 15, and the trip back to the airport, departing from Milano Centrale at 1700, took nearly 2 hours ! Some people in the bus had cut it too fine and missed their flight...
But Bergamo itself is a beautiful town, especially the old walled "Città alta".

rares_dan

Post by rares_dan »

The easiest way to get to Milan(Air Terminal in front of Statione Centrale /Central Station is the final stop) is by bus. Terravision or Autostradale costs 6.7 euro one-way or about 11 or 12 round trip. Tickets can be purchasedfrom the Autostradale office(near the Arrivals exit door) at Bergamo and Air Terminal building(any office) at Milan.
U can combine viewing Bergamo(I totally agree that is a wonderful tipycal italian city) with getting to Milan by taking the city bus to Bergamo train station(1.5 euro one-way, about 20-25 minutes drive) and from there train to Milan. There are many trains, about every 30 minutes. Cost of one-way is about 4 euro and the trip takes about 50-60 minutes(no delays due to trafic here!!!). By bus at 0900 hours the trip take at least 70 minutes. If u return to Bergamo at night(past 1800 hours) the bus trip takes 10-15 minutes less.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

My first report was perhaps a bit short - OK, same flights two weeks later...

21 feb 2006 - FR4522 : CRL-BGY
Scheduled : 0630-0805
Actual : 0635-0805
Ryanair Boeing 737-800 EI-DCX

At the check-in counter at 0505, I got boarding card n°80 - no priority !
( The people at the check-in desks speak of course French, Dutch and English - some also Italian, Spanish or German - and they are efficient).
The small bookshop was already open, and I bought my newspaper. Only aviation news : a BAF F16 had lost an ECM pod over Charleroi the day before (no casualty).

No queue at the security check - in fact, I have never seen one here. The checks are as thorough as they should be, but the agents are considerate and cheerful, in typical "Carolo" fashion.

Embarking began at 0615, Ryanair style : first, passengers with small children or disabled, then holders of cards 1 to 65, and then the others.
I will allow you that this is not a very enjoyable moment !

The plane was EI-DCX, just in front of the gate. A cabin crew of 6, even if the plane was not full (80 %, my estimate). I took seat 26F, at the rear, which I prefer...

I didn't understand the pre-take-off speech by the pilot - the PA sound was not strong, and a few loud-mouthed Dutch people around didn't bother to stop speaking between them...
The flight to Girona (EI-DAM) departed first, whilst we were still in the de-icing process. Push-back at 0635, take-off at 0640, towards the East, which is less often the case.

Clouds below, all the way, except above the snow covered Alps, always a beautiful sight.
The pilot announced the big left turn to Bergamo (0740) and the weather there : cold and wet !
Landing on time, parked next to an air Berlin Embraer 100, D-AGPK. Bussed to the terminal and, after an unusual passport check for all, I was at the bus stop on the other side at 0815 ...

21 feb 2006 - FR4525 - BGY-CRL
Scheduled 2020-2150
Actual 2025-2150
Ryanair Boeing 737-800 EI-CSY

At the check-in at 1815, I got card n°27. There is always a queue here at the security check, but it didn't take more than 10 min.
The gate opened at 1950, giving access to a bus which took us to the plane, rather far away.
There were five FR Boeings parked side by side, ours being EI-CSY, rather old in the Ryanair fleet, but with winglets. Four english-speaking FA. And a British captain, too. His announcements were clear, this time (there are usually at least two communications from the flight deck : one before take-off, one in flight, more if necessary : delays, etc...The passengers are usually kept well informed).

Brakes off at 2025, take-off soon after, in a climbing turn above the town then over the airport, then ... in the clouds and over them the whole way.
As usual, I bought a scratch card (2 euros) : I feel it is the least I can do to thank Michaël O'Leary and keep him going !

A good landing at CRL, parking brake on at 2150 and a smiling good bye from two FA ...
Being witout luggage, it took me exactly six min from the rear door of the plane to the door of my car, having paused on the way to pay my parking fee (13,20 euros for the day).

I had booked the flights on 21 oct 2005, and paid Ryanair 45,84 euros all included.
There is nothing special in my account, I agree with you. In fact, the vast majority of Ryanair flights go without a hitch - but I think one should also tell about such flights - and not only when there are delays or cancellations...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice trip, uh? And excellent report!
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

airazurxtror wrote: Landing on time, parked next to an air Berlin Embraer 100, D-AGPK.
that's a new plane type for me!

Nice report btw!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

sab319 wrote:
airazurxtror wrote: Landing on time, parked next to an air Berlin Embraer 100, D-AGPK.
that's a new plane type for me!

Nice report btw!
Sorry - my mistake - must have been a Fokker 100 !