UA or CO?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Timology

UA or CO?

Post by Timology »

Hi,

My planning for this summer is to fly to NYC, drive to Washington, fly to Miami, drive to Orlando and fly back home to AMS.
I found 2 fares:
with UA: AMS - (LHR) - JFK, MCO - (IAD) - AMS and with AA IAD - MIA
with CO: AMS - EWR, IAD - (EWR) - MIA, MCO - (IAH) - AMS

UA and AA is like 100 euro's cheaper than CO, but I was just wondering which would be a better option.

MX727

Post by MX727 »

I would choose CO. They are strong in the NY area, and also, by looking at the intinerary, seems simpler, just one airline, more direct, and also, CO is one of the best legacies in the US. Service is quite good. On the other hand, you can keep for yourself 100 EURO.....if that is not an issue, CO would be my choice. :thumbsup2:

Hope you enjoy your travel. :wink:
Regards,
JAHC

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

One airline would indeed be a lot simpler. But, I am biased, so guess who I would opt for. :wink: I have to admit though that I didn't know that AA flew out of IAD, I thought they were all DCA based. :?
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

Timology

Post by Timology »

Thnx for the replies.

I was reading some reviews from people who flew CO and I think that it's a good airline to fly with and I'll be on a 757 and a Embrear 145 with them, which I've never been on.

I looked on their site and searched for flights out of Washington to MIA and came up with IAD - MIA with a 757. Perhaps I'm mistaken and it was DCA, but that would be mistaken then. In anyway, it would be out of Washington, where I need to fly from :)
Last edited by Timology on 27 Jan 2006, 08:21, edited 2 times in total.

MX727

Post by MX727 »

Perhaps you get lucky and get to fly in a 757 with winglets.....that for sure will be sweet! :mrgreen:
Regards,
JAHC

Timology

Post by Timology »

Haha, hop so.

But I'm going to look for some different options with CO, but I'm always coming up with twice the price, so I think I'll stick it with that ittenerary

futurepilot

Post by futurepilot »

those are two awesome planes to fly in! Lucky man. But yehh.. go with COA.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Yes, Continental and Expressjet would be an exellent choice, as I found Continental much better then United.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

Personally I wouldn't want to be cramped up in an Embraer for more than an hour. There's not enough shoulder or leg room for me. But then again I am 6'1" and I'm an amateur bodybuilder. :?

burner737

Post by burner737 »

Knight255 wrote:Personally I wouldn't want to be cramped up in an Embraer for more than an hour. There's not enough shoulder or leg room for me. But then again I am 6'1" and I'm an amateur bodybuilder. :?
That means I don't wanna get a punch from you in my face :D

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

As long as you're not a terrorist, or a drunk-unruly passenger, you won't have to worry about anything. :wink:

KLM671

Post by KLM671 »

flown many times on E145 and 757 of CO, evry time it has been a bad experience, especially the 757. I found UA better just because of channel 9, if i would be you, i would fly UA, unless you are a Flyng Blue/Onepass member.

Regards
KLM671 :wave:

Timology

Any MH Experiences?

Post by Timology »

Once again: thanks for all the replies.
We just had to wait for our confirmation. Once we got it, we saw we got scammed, had to pay another 7.000 POUNDS which is rediculous. We would have taken CO though.

Now we're going Down Under instead. We just booked our flights and got our paper tickets (it's strange KLM didn't have any E-tickets on AMS-BNE, ADL-AMS flights). We will be flying MH (Malaysian Airlines) on the AMS-KUL-BNE and ADL-KUL segments. So just wondering if any of you have any MH experiences in their 747s and/or 777s

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I hope for you Malaysia Airlines sorts out it's money shortness, according to some sources Malaysia airlines will go bankrupt in april if no new money is found!

Timology

Post by Timology »

I doubt they will go bankrubt, since they're even looking of entering SkyTeam and they're quite a strong standing airline, at least that's my feeling I get.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

I don't have any Malasia experiance, but 747 and 777 are almost always comfortable.

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Timology

Post by Timology »

Sab319,

thanks for the information, I hope they will fight through, although I still think MH won't go bankrubt and that the Malaysian Government wouldn't allow their flag carrier to go bankrubt.

jelger

Post by jelger »

in 2003 i flew first time CO AMS-EWR, and i thought it sort of 'sucked' compared to KLM (what i used to fly on long-haul), in terms of passenger care inflight. also I was nearly stuck in EWR/NYC going back from my long weekend due to overbookings which was also the case in AMS on my outbound trip.... both flights were delayed for at least an hour as result. bad organisational impression overall there on those flight(s).

BUT !

in 2004 i had a year return LGW-IAH-SFO with CO and i had to admit their service on board was so much better. an extra midflight snack (KLM"s inspired icecream/noodlesoup/chips), drinks offered throughout the flight (rather than stewards being absent all flight and need to be ringed for drinks).

i was impressed overall on those flights! the transfer in IAH was a long walk without expressed walkway - but that is not of your concern anyways. EWR is not my favorite airport. but is just OK.

if you choose UA, get a 777 connection - way more specious than their 767's.

Depretair

Post by Depretair »

I will choose Continental Airlines. I have flown on the 2 airlines but i prefer CO. The sevice on UA is not bad but I found the service, meal and IFE better on CO. The price can be very different from an airline to another... You decide...