Basel - Berne in a Super Constellation

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Air_Lac

Basel - Berne in a Super Constellation

Post by Air_Lac »

On 24 September 2005, I had the pleasure to fly on a Super Constellation from Basel (BSL/LSZM) to Berne (BRN/LSZB).
Aircraft: L1047F Super Constellation
"Airline": Super Constellation Flyers Assosciation
Duration: 25 minutes.

I had flown that route several times before with Crossair, but this time was the most spectacular one, in addition in excellent weather conditions, flying rather low above the Jura...just magnificent!

The flight took place on the occasion of the 50iest anniversary of the aircraft, which was built in 1955.

A small Air Fête took place in Berne to celebrate this event (with an AN2 and Ju52 as visitors).

The aircraft is probably one of the nicest aircraft ever built (with the Concorde). There are currently only 3 Constellations worldwide left in flying condition.

You can find several pictures and more information on the aircraft on www.superconstellation.org .

To be able to fly on the aircraft you need to be a member of the association for more than 30 days...Swiss legislation is very strict on this and when stepping out of the aircraft first thing was the inspectors of the Federal Office of Civil Aviation who welcomed us asking us to show the membership card...

The aircraft could probably take some 80 passengers, but effectively only 40 seats are on the aircraft, which makes the aircraft very roomy...seats are not overly comfortable but at least original.

Windows are large providing a marvellous view. During the flight we were allowed to walk around (plenty of space as said before).

Everyone got a flight certificate and one was entitled to take the Safety Card along...

I have no e-pictures, but on the above site you will find plenty of pictures of the aircraft and the event...

On sunday the aircraft had to cancel all flight due to technical problems, which I hope will be overcome soon.

Air_Lac

sn26567

Re: Basel - Berne in a Super Constellation

Post by sn26567 »

You lucky guy. How much did you pay?
Air_Lac wrote:To be able to fly on the aircraft you need to be a member of the association for more than 30 days...Swiss legislation is very strict on this and when stepping out of the aircraft first thing was the inspectors of the Federal Office of Civil Aviation who welcomed us asking us to show the membership card...
Not funny! Are they always like that? And why?
André
ex Sabena #26567

dre

Post by dre »

BSL= LFSB

If you knew earlier i could have given you a jumpseat home

greetz

DRE

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

To SN26567: The membership fee is 120 CHF (ca. 80 EUR) per year the flight it self was an additional 220 CHF (so not really a low cost...but worth every 'centime'), and yet the price is so 'low' beacuse of a lot of people working free of charge and sponsors (Breitling and Shell) actively helping to keep this aicraft in the air. Also they suffered a lot from the rising fuel prices and soaring insurance premiums.

Why do they do these controls ? Swiss aviation in general but also the Federal Office of Civil Aviation in particular had, some time ago, a very bad press (partially justified probably) and after 2 aircrashes (Crossair SF340 and a RJ100) and the Ueberlingen midair collision and after a change of the Director they have become extremely strict and apply a 0-tolerance policy. I heard that if they actually get a person which is not a member on the aircraft they will withdraw all operating certificates.

To dre: I understand that LFSB = Muhlhouse ans LSZM = Basel (actually the same airport), but LFSB seems more frequently used...LSZM is used though in Switzerland too. (After all Brussels has two codes as well EBBR and EBMB)