CGN-IST-CGN with Turkish (321 & 738)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
HQ_BRU_Lover

CGN-IST-CGN with Turkish (321 & 738)

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

For the 3th away game in the UEFA Champions League, 2 friends and myself went out to Istanbul to see Galatasary-Club Brugge. Great atmosphere in the Galatasary stadium and delirium in the 92nd minute with Diatta's goal. We are Bruges!

Initially we didn't intend to watch the game because of high ticket prices, but Turkish came to the rescue. Booked return in economy CGN-IST-CGN at 180€. Fares from BRU were well above 400€ at that time so worth a 2,5 drive to Cologne.

CGN-IST
Parked ad P3 long term. Walk to the terminal. Luckily with no rain, it would be hell if it rained there really. Arrived in the terminal and went upstairs to pass security control. This went pretty smooth, new to me was the full body scanner for everyone. Once passed the security check, directly right to border controle. A queue of at least 200 people waiting. Just until we saw the right lane was open as well and we passed 75% of the crowd. After border controle boarding through the jet bridge. A 3-year old A321 TC-JTO was waiting for us. Boarding went smooth and welcomed by a friendy FA. Surprised to see IFE on short haul, which was a great added value. Take-off went smooth and cruising at FL360 towards IST. I was surprised to smell hot food half an hour after take-off. One hour after take-off we were surprised as well by a hot meal, choice between pasta or köfte. The pasta was pretty nice with a fresh baked bread as well. After 2,5 hours descent to IST started. We made some detour and then landed the huge new IST airport. Taxi time was 20 (!) minutes to our stand, one can get lost in this huge new IST aiaport.

IST-CGN
After a 3 days stay in Istanbul city, time to go home. Taxi ride from the city centre which brought us into the huge IST departures area. Truly impressed by the building and facilities there. What an airport, I never saw this before. Passed border control and initially headed to the B-part. Almost arrived at the B-part, we saw a gate change to the F-building which meant a 25 (!) minute walk. Boarding went smooth and we took place at row 25 in the 738. This looked like an old machine. My seat wasn't 100% fixed and no IFE on this plane. After a long taxi again, nice take off over the sea and climbing above the clouds. Saw a lot of opposite traffic passing by. After a quick nap lunch was serverd again. This time choice between chicken and pasta. Chicken it was, very tasty with some rice and fresh baked bread. Friendly crew and nice flight, with some turbulence (fasten seatbelt was on for more then 1 hour). Landing in CGN on time and 25 minutes after landing we were heading home.

This was an old skool flight with Turkish Airlines. One isn't used anymore to get a full service on board. Great experience and worth repeating this again. Price was very good at 180€, full service, no additional fee to block your seat, great meals and drinks, good service.

Well done, Turkish!

sn26567

Re: CGN-IST-CGN with Turkish (321 & 738)

Post by sn26567 »

Hey, great to see you had nice flights and stay in Istanbul. Walking distances in IST are impressive.

I am not surprised by the superb service you got on TK, which I experienced myself last year. Hot meals are the economy standard.
André
ex Sabena #26567

HQ_BRU_Lover

Re: CGN-IST-CGN with Turkish (321 & 738)

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Well it's a real "old skool" experience if you ask me. I'm curious to see how they can maintain offering this high standard compared to other legacy carriers.