Blackburn Monoplane (Britains oldest airworthy aeroplane)

This is the forum to place all your aviation videos and clips: events, air disasters, crashes, spectacular landings, etc...
mauld

Blackburn Monoplane (Britains oldest airworthy aeroplane)

Post by mauld »

For Quality Historic Aviation Videos please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel at
http://www.youtube.com/auldm

flieger

Re: Blackburn Monoplane (Britains oldest airworthy aeroplane

Post by flieger »

Isn't the Bristol Boxkite of the Shuttleworth Collection older?

Sikiri

Post by Sikiri »

Actually the Britol Boxkite is one of the three replicas specially made for the film 'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines'. A film I definitely recommend. To quote the Boxlite Wikipedia page:
After filming, one was sent to the Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery, a second to the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire, where it is still flown during flying displays when the weather permits, and the third to the Museum of Australian Army Flying in Queensland.

flieger

Post by flieger »

I saw the Boxkite fly a few times while visiting Old Warden myself by plane. Didn't know it was a replica. And that very old Avro they have, a Triplane, is it a replica too?

Sikiri

Post by Sikiri »

flieger wrote:And that very old Avro they have, a Triplane, is it a replica too?
I'm afraid so. But their Bleriot (1909, Oldest flying aircraft), Deperdussin (1910) and Blackburn (1910) are the real deal. And so are a lot of others. Check their website to see which are real and which ones are replicas. http://www.shuttleworth.org/shuttlewort ... rcraft.asp. I've been to Old Warden a few times as well. It's a great museum, even if you go on a day where nothing flies or drives. And to come back to the movie, Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines, all aircraft (originals and replica's) apart from the Bleriot were used during filming.