ATC scanner for contrail?

Planespotting in the upper atmosphere! All pictures, reports or whatever question about upper level traffic come here

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Post Reply
dionplanespotter
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Sep 2015, 14:26

ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by dionplanespotter »

Hey
I'm looking for a scanner for contrail! My question is: which scanner and how? I have a uniden bearcat ubc125xlt :P
ATC like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73licCOgnxY
greetings
Dion

User avatar
leedseagle
Posts: 110
Joined: 11 Aug 2009, 09:49
Location: North Leeds
Contact:

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by leedseagle »

Hi there

Depends how far you live from control centre to hear their messages but planes overhead you should be able to hear with normal antenna if you are lucky enough to live where planes change frequency, if you want to listen to transmissions from further afield you will need an airband dipole antenna to put in your loft

Clear Sky's
Leedseagle
8" Skywatcher Dobsonian, Revelation 2" ED Barlow, Canon EOS 500d, Nikon Coolpix P900, Uniden EZI33XLT, Celestron Skymaster 25x75 Binoculars
http://www.flightradar24.com https://contrailspotting.wordpress.com

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 37311
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by sn26567 »

What do you think of an App called LiveATC ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
leedseagle
Posts: 110
Joined: 11 Aug 2009, 09:49
Location: North Leeds
Contact:

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by leedseagle »

Hi there

LiveATC can be quite hit and miss to have airports/control centres you want

Clear skys
Leedseagle
8" Skywatcher Dobsonian, Revelation 2" ED Barlow, Canon EOS 500d, Nikon Coolpix P900, Uniden EZI33XLT, Celestron Skymaster 25x75 Binoculars
http://www.flightradar24.com https://contrailspotting.wordpress.com

dionplanespotter
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Sep 2015, 14:26

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by dionplanespotter »

leedseagle wrote:Hi there

Depends how far you live from control centre to hear their messages but planes overhead you should be able to hear with normal antenna if you are lucky enough to live where planes change frequency, if you want to listen to transmissions from further afield you will need an airband dipole antenna to put in your loft

Clear Sky's
Leedseagle
Oke How do I get
the frequency?

User avatar
leedseagle
Posts: 110
Joined: 11 Aug 2009, 09:49
Location: North Leeds
Contact:

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by leedseagle »

If your in uk
http://www.jethros.org.uk/scanner/atc_airways.htm
http://www.2e0jps.com/radio/airband/control/
Is where i got all mine

Clear Sky's
Leedseagle
8" Skywatcher Dobsonian, Revelation 2" ED Barlow, Canon EOS 500d, Nikon Coolpix P900, Uniden EZI33XLT, Celestron Skymaster 25x75 Binoculars
http://www.flightradar24.com https://contrailspotting.wordpress.com

dionplanespotter
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Sep 2015, 14:26

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by dionplanespotter »

leedseagle wrote:If your in uk
http://www.jethros.org.uk/scanner/atc_airways.htm
http://www.2e0jps.com/radio/airband/control/
Is where i got all mine

Clear Sky's
Leedseagle
oke i live in the netherlands! :|

User avatar
leedseagle
Posts: 110
Joined: 11 Aug 2009, 09:49
Location: North Leeds
Contact:

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by leedseagle »

List of Maarstricht eurocontrol frequencies
http://www.atcbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19715
And couple of maps of eurocontrol (sectors/waypoints/frequencies)
http://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defaul ... 151112.pdf

http://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defaul ... e-ectl.pdf
I can pick up Amsterdam 123.7 with dipole in my loft as planes fly on UY70 on track to fly over Yorkshire
Hope this helps
8" Skywatcher Dobsonian, Revelation 2" ED Barlow, Canon EOS 500d, Nikon Coolpix P900, Uniden EZI33XLT, Celestron Skymaster 25x75 Binoculars
http://www.flightradar24.com https://contrailspotting.wordpress.com

dionplanespotter
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Sep 2015, 14:26

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by dionplanespotter »

leedseagle wrote:List of Maarstricht eurocontrol frequencies
http://www.atcbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19715
And couple of maps of eurocontrol (sectors/waypoints/frequencies)
http://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defaul ... 151112.pdf

http://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defaul ... e-ectl.pdf
I can pick up Amsterdam 123.7 with dipole in my loft as planes fly on UY70 on track to fly over Yorkshire
Hope this helps
Oh! Thans men! :D

dionplanespotter
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Sep 2015, 14:26

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by dionplanespotter »

leedseagle wrote:List of Maarstricht eurocontrol frequencies
http://www.atcbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19715
And couple of maps of eurocontrol (sectors/waypoints/frequencies)
http://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defaul ... 151112.pdf

http://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defaul ... e-ectl.pdf
I can pick up Amsterdam 123.7 with dipole in my loft as planes fly on UY70 on track to fly over Yorkshire
Hope this helps
The link of the maps is not working :(

seorm10
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Dec 2017, 10:58

Re: ATC scanner for contrail?

Post by seorm10 »

Hello
I'm new to scanners and I'm looking for a good scanner for ATC mainly but also police. I'm within 10 miles of Tyndall AFB so I want to hear that or at least Tyndall Center. I'm looking for one at or below $150 I can go over but I'd rather not. I'd prefer handheld. Any help is appreciated.

Arcocox
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 Aug 2019, 12:33
Location: Kuwait
Contact:

ATC scanner for contrail

Post by Arcocox »

Hi, it isnt very big, quite a compact unit, it is a front type ATC.

I will go down the Unit tomorrow and get some measurements for you.

Regards
Rob

Post Reply