Contrail spotting

Planespotting in the upper atmosphere! All pictures, reports or whatever question about upper level traffic come here

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Locked
User avatar
brieky
Posts: 302
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 00:00
Location: Moen

Post by brieky » 10 Mar 2006, 18:26

omag i think the A340 is a kuwait airlines.
greetz brieky

md 11 is UPS

greetz

User avatar
contrailwatcherUK
Posts: 500
Joined: 31 Aug 2005, 00:00
Location: dorset, england

Post by contrailwatcherUK » 11 Mar 2006, 12:52

hi
thanks Bruspotter for the link to the FRA radar, its very useful. I saw LH499 from mexico city go over my house the other day.

Sometimes I see LH499 on a different flight path, could this depend on what runway is in use at frankfurt?

thanks

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Post by lumumba » 11 Mar 2006, 15:34

Hi everybody.
I was wondering if a Eurpean flight tracker exist.
Regards
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

User avatar
westwings
Posts: 327
Joined: 28 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: Varsenare

Post by westwings » 12 Mar 2006, 21:29

Noted this afternoon over Wevelgem was a B747 white fuselage/dark blue tail, possibly Atlas Air or Air Atlanta :?: doing a slalom 8O
Image
Last edited by westwings on 12 Mar 2006, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere

User avatar
Bottie
Posts: 2079
Joined: 18 Jan 2004, 00:00
Location: 2nm from EBUL
Contact:

Post by Bottie » 12 Mar 2006, 21:53

westwings wrote:Noted this afternoon over Wevelgem was a B7470 white fuselage/dark blue tail, possibly Atlas Air or Air Atlanta :?: doing a slalom 8O

What time did you see that? I saw the same ;)

User avatar
Bruspotter
Posts: 2006
Joined: 04 Sep 2004, 00:00
Location: (Antwerp/Belgium)
Contact:

Post by Bruspotter » 12 Mar 2006, 21:54

Hi

Quote:
Sometimes I see LH499 on a different flight path, could this depend on what runway is in use at frankfurt?


Yes , that might be possible. As well as it is that not every pilot can do exactly the same flight. They might be one grade more to the North or South and that can cause that planes (according how long they're already flying) can be up to 10-15km distance from where they fly over usually , I've seen it many times. Also the weather and upper atmosphere currents play an important role in that.

So just be patient and hope that they take the right route :D:P
Today a lot of contrails to , but to bad they where that thick scattered clouds from time to time.:(

Anyway , around 1600LT I even could spot up to 14 contrails in The West , I could almost see them trough one window of my room :P Quite busy
(also saw Singapore Cargo 74Y coming in for BRU around 1640LT).

Best regards: Yannick ;)

User avatar
westwings
Posts: 327
Joined: 28 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: Varsenare

Post by westwings » 12 Mar 2006, 22:05

Bottie wrote:What time did you see that? I saw the same ;)
Was around 16.00LT at Wevelgem airport but he was still quite far away :wink:
Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere

User avatar
Bottie
Posts: 2079
Joined: 18 Jan 2004, 00:00
Location: 2nm from EBUL
Contact:

Post by Bottie » 12 Mar 2006, 22:27

westwings wrote:
Bottie wrote:What time did you see that? I saw the same ;)
Was around 16.00LT at Wevelgem airport but he was still quite far away :wink:

Yep, we saw the same ;) and around 18.00 there was also such movement right above our house.


BTW: Look how friendly I was yesterday: http://westwings-ebkt.fotopic.net/p26799915.html ;)

User avatar
westwings
Posts: 327
Joined: 28 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: Varsenare

Post by westwings » 12 Mar 2006, 22:51

Ha, so that was you...thanks for the wave :D :wink:
Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere

User avatar
Skystef
Posts: 1993
Joined: 13 Apr 2003, 00:00
Location: Near 25R/EBBR
Contact:

Post by Skystef » 13 Mar 2006, 18:21

Today, March 13 2006, some nice conditions as could be seen on my weather cam.

A grip:

Around 1659LT this Royal Jet was heading W, presumable A6-RJZ.
Image


And around 1715LT a shot of a regular: Jet Airways B767-300 cruising to LHR. (Corrected to Air Sahara)
Image
Last edited by Skystef on 14 Mar 2006, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sabena_690
Posts: 3379
Joined: 20 Sep 2002, 00:00

Post by Sabena_690 » 13 Mar 2006, 19:48

Hi Stef,

Nice pictures! One correction however: the B763 belongs to Air Sahara and not to Jet Airways (operating the A343).

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

User avatar
Skystef
Posts: 1993
Joined: 13 Apr 2003, 00:00
Location: Near 25R/EBBR
Contact:

Post by Skystef » 13 Mar 2006, 19:58

Sabena_690 wrote:Hi Stef,

Nice pictures! One correction however: the B763 belongs to Air Sahara and not to Jet Airways (operating the A343).
Indeed, that was the one I meant, bit confused with the takeover by Jet Airways.

Rgrds S

Ivan_Eagle
Posts: 191
Joined: 16 Apr 2005, 00:00
Location: Mechelen, Hombeek

Post by Ivan_Eagle » 13 Mar 2006, 20:07

hello

here is my list (thanks Skystef to give the info (763 and 737W, didn't know what it was :wink: )

my location = Z of Mechelen.

B747-400 Air China ZO 16.15
B737-400 BA NW 16.20
B767-300ER Jet Airways (LHR) 16.25
B747-400ER Lufthansa NW 16.40
B737-400 BA NW 16.45
B737-800 Ryaniar NW 16.45
B737-*00 (just to far, thinking a 800) KLM ZO 16.45
B737-800 Ryanair NW 16.50 2X
RJ100 Lufthansa NW 16.50
B737-800 Ryaniar NW 16.52
B737-700W Rojal Jet NW 16.57
B737-400 ?? NW 17.00
LUNCH :wink:
B757-200 ?? (from FRA to ...?) NW 17.40
B767-300ER First Choise NW 17.43
B737-800 Ryanair NW 17.43
B747-400ER BA NW 17.43 (LHR)
A319-100 Easyjet NW 17.50

Greats Ivan

User avatar
speedbird1
Posts: 1198
Joined: 08 Mar 2004, 00:00

Post by speedbird1 » 13 Mar 2006, 20:16

@ Skystef, the Royal Jet was A6-RJZ.
Also the so called Jet Airways 767, is a Air Sahara 767 VT-SDL a pic just before it was re-registered.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5643760


@ Ivan_Eagle
First Choice 767 G-OOBL
BA 747 G-CIVJ
The 1743 Ryanair was one of 3 sorry can't help.

Regards,

Emirates

User avatar
contrailwatcherUK
Posts: 500
Joined: 31 Aug 2005, 00:00
Location: dorset, england

Post by contrailwatcherUK » 13 Mar 2006, 20:48

Lumumba Said:
I was wondering if a Eurpean flight tracker exist.
unfortunately flights cannot be tracked in europe, ever since the 9/11 attacks on the WTC.
I believe airnavsystems provide flight tracking but only for the US region :cry:

If you have an airband radio, you could listen to the air traffic control conversations. Listen for the flight number, and then type that flight in on a search engine to find where it has been going to/from.

User avatar
SilverJET
Posts: 371
Joined: 25 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: Maasmechelen, Limburg (B)

Post by SilverJET » 13 Mar 2006, 20:54

Bruspotter wrote:Hi

Quote:
Sometimes I see LH499 on a different flight path, could this depend on what runway is in use at frankfurt?


Yes , that might be possible. As well as it is that not every pilot can do exactly the same flight. They might be one grade more to the North or South and that can cause that planes (according how long they're already flying) can be up to 10-15km distance from where they fly over usually , I've seen it many times. Also the weather and upper atmosphere currents play an important role in that.

So just be patient and hope that they take the right route :D:P
Today a lot of contrails to , but to bad they where that thick scattered clouds from time to time.:(

Anyway , around 1600LT I even could spot up to 14 contrails in The West , I could almost see them trough one window of my room :P Quite busy
(also saw Singapore Cargo 74Y coming in for BRU around 1640LT).

Best regards: Yannick ;)
Yannick, this is not 100% true. All depends on ATC. If they clear you for a certain heading, the pilots need to fly it. But in most cases ATC will follow the routings from the flightplan, but can sometimes give a direct routing from A to C without passing B. And in that cases it could be that the aircraft flies more north or south on the actual flightplan.

BTW pilots don't need to fly the exact route, the FMC (autopilot) does this task for them ;-)

Best Regards

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Post by lumumba » 13 Mar 2006, 21:02

Hi contraiwatcherUK.
Thax for the info.
Pat
Hasta la victoria siempre.

User avatar
Skystef
Posts: 1993
Joined: 13 Apr 2003, 00:00
Location: Near 25R/EBBR
Contact:

Post by Skystef » 14 Mar 2006, 16:35

Ok thx for info Emirates, any ideas about destination of A6-RJZ?

And here is another enigma for the contrail experts: please post your suggestions.

March 6 2006, 1647LT, W bound.
Image
Last edited by Skystef on 14 Mar 2006, 18:08, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sabena_690
Posts: 3379
Joined: 20 Sep 2002, 00:00

Post by Sabena_690 » 14 Mar 2006, 16:42

Nice picture as usual!

It's HZ-AKE of Saudi Arabian Airlines, on the way from Jeddah to London Heathrow, as SVA105.

The aircraft touched down on London soil at 16:27lt, and went to Terminal 3 Gate 16 ;)

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

User avatar
Skystef
Posts: 1993
Joined: 13 Apr 2003, 00:00
Location: Near 25R/EBBR
Contact:

Post by Skystef » 14 Mar 2006, 18:10

Sabena_690 wrote:Nice picture as usual!

It's HZ-AKE of Saudi Arabian Airlines, on the way from Jeddah to London Heathrow, as SVA105.
The aircraft touched down on London soil at 16:27lt, and went to Terminal 3 Gate 16
Nice explanation, as usual Fred :wink: .

Locked