Belgian Air Force trainers on a Saturday evening?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

jan_olieslagers

Belgian Air Force trainers on a Saturday evening?

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I was quite surprised to see two SEP* planes passing quite low over Haacht and Kampenhout, not above 1000' on a westerly course, today (Sep 17th) at 19:17 local time. They looked and sounded like Marchetti trainers of the Belgian Forces Air Arm but I can't really be sure.

What were they and - mainly - what the heck brought them out?

*SEP: Single Engine Piston powered.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 17 Sep 2016, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

DeltaWiskey

Re: Belgian Air Force trainers on a Saturday evening?

Post by DeltaWiskey »

There were some Marchetti's in Brasschaat (Flying Festival) today, maybe they were returning home?

jan_olieslagers

Hm, and made a practice (instrument) approach or even touch and go at EBBR 25R? Not impossible.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

During my military service, exercises (alerts) could be called any day, any time.

But not many of you have still been called to the army, do you?
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

I haven't - as a conscientious objector I served with the Civiele Bescherming/Protection Civile :)

And yes of course planes can be on exercise, but I wondered about the exact nature of the flight, given its unusual time. The Brasschaat thesis seems quite possible, still flying from EBBT to EBBT should not have brought the planes to the position and course observed.

BTW our national Marchetti's have been known to operate as interceptors against ultralights infringing airspace closed to them but I do not think they are on a QRA scheme like the F16's at Florennes and Kleine Brogel.

Atco EBBR

Post by Atco EBBR »

You missed a few of them, there were 5 Marchetti's in formation (Red Devils). Because there was little to no traffic at that moment, they were allowed to cross the zone and even make a very nice low pass on 25R.

jan_olieslagers

Ah, ok, thanks for info. I did say to myself the noise was very loud for two planes, even if they were quite low :?

westwings

Post by westwings »

The Red Devils performed saterday afternoon at the Belgian Open Aerobatic Championship in Koksijde and were at Merville/Calonne-sur-la-Lys on sunday.
Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere