Spotting advice for a starter

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Don Stevo

Spotting advice for a starter

Post by Don Stevo »

Hi there,

If everything is in stock, starting from tomorrow, I'll be the proud owner of a new Canon 650D Body with a Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Canon lens.
I know there are better lenses, but I'm a newbie upgrading from a compact camera to a DSLR and I'm on a budget :-)

I have been planespotting in the past at EBBR, always at rwy 25L in the length of the runway, slightly uphill in the direction of the BUB VOR station.
But I don't know if that is the best spot to stand for planespotting.
I've seen pictures here of planes touching the runway, where you can just see above the fence. I don't know what viewpoint that is.

Does anyone have any advice for me when I go planespotting on sunday?
- What viewpoint to take best
- What times to go to the airport
- Other possible advice that you can give

Thanks in advance.

Flanders

Re: Spotting advice for a starter

Post by Flanders »

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

At the moment I expect a 02/07R configuration for Sunday, so landings will be on 02 and takeoffs on 07R.

With the guide Flanders gave you, that means:

For arrivals, best spot is from sunrise till 1000 spot E on the map. Thereafter, it is advisable to go to 07R as it's then busy with departing aircraft till roughly 1200 or 1330.
Best spot there would be spot C. Rotating aircraft can be photographed over there. Also the photo where the aircraft touch the runway, are taken there when 25L is in use for landing.

Squelsh

Post by Squelsh »

Another fun spot that is not mentioned on the page is at brucargo, public acces building 706 (the big one where there used to be a restaurant -the bldng with the radome on top-). Just enter the building through main entrance, take the elevator to one of the top levels, and at the end of one of the corridors it gives you a pretty nice view on the tarmac, close to the cgo ops and end of RWY25R. Fingers crossed the window is clean :)

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

Currently I'm working on a Luchtzak.be-Spottersguide, but I can give some hints:

Final 25L, backtrack 25L and Take-Off 25R:

Along the 'Kortenbergsesteenweg', also better known as 'Watertower':

Image Image Image Image Image

On that spot, you can take pictures when the planes are on final approach for 25L but also, when you have enough mm's on the lens, take-offs on the 25R. Just be aware you can't park along the road (there are signs and quite some controls by the police)

Touch-Down 25L, Take-Off 07R and Roll-Out 02:

Also better known as the refugee-center:

For this spot, take the N227/Mechelsesteenweg. You have a tunnel that crosses the 25L. When you leave the tunnel, you can park your car along the road and take a small walk to the refugee-center, which is on your left side.

Roll-Out 25L, Take-Off 20 and Tarmac:

Also better known as the 'Sand Hills':

For this spot, take the N227/Mechelsesteenweg. You have a tunnel that crosses the 25L. When you leave the tunnel, take the first road on your left side (Namenstraat) to the soccerfields and park your car there (not sure if permitted!!). Take a small walk the the hills at the end of the road.

That's it for now, later today I'll post some more spots for the 02

Don Stevo

Post by Don Stevo »

Thank you very much :-)
The guide already helped a lot discovering new places.

When / if the weather gets better, I hope I can go spotting again. Yesterday was quite cold, and rainy.