Aviation24.be uptime/downtime topic

Give your feedback, make new suggestions to improve https://www.aviation24.be, is there anything else we can do for you?
Acid-drop

Aviation24.be uptime/downtime topic

Post by Acid-drop »

Tye whole site is suddenly very slow, are you aware ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

luchtzak

Re: Aviation24.be software update topic

Post by luchtzak »

Acid-drop wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:13 Tye whole site is suddenly very slow, are you aware ?
Not now, do you experience the same problem now?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Faster now, but we had the past 36h slow i would say
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Still occasional time-outs this Sunday evening, all other sites working flawless.
Often showing "performing TLS handshake to www . aviation24 . be" - but don't ask me what that means...

And even right now I received
aviation24.be wrote: The connection has timed out
The server at www . aviation24 . be is taking too long to respond.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 21:23 Still occasional time-outs this Sunday evening, all other sites working flawless.
Often showing "performing TLS handshake to www . aviation24 . be" - but don't ask me what that means...

And even right now I received
aviation24.be wrote: The connection has timed out
The server at www . aviation24 . be is taking too long to respond.
Network issue, we are investigating! Thx for your patience!

jan_olieslagers

No problem, I am used to this kind of issue professionally :(
I am readily available as a tester.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 21:50 No problem, I am used to this kind of issue professionally :(
I am readily available as a tester.
Thank you!

Meanwhile we have located the problem.

It's not an issue with this website, but with a site running on the same server.

jan_olieslagers

In that case, some stringent questions to the service provider are in order. The whole concept of "third party server provisioning" aka "the cloud" is to create many virtual servers, reducing the cost, whilst making sure that an issue with one will not affect any others. This last point seems to have gone wrong.

One possible scenario is that one of the virtual servers was subject to some kind of network attack (Denial of Service for example) so that no or very little network bandwith in the data centre was left for the rest of the farm. But perhaps, just like with aviation accidents, we should not speculate.

(with a broad wink of the eye to said "provider" ... One can only hope for him that EU has less severe regulations for his trade than for commercial air transport)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Still some issues, trying to get that solved!

jan_olieslagers

Yes, sorry to report that even this evening I still observe the occasional time-out. Nothing really serious, refreshing the page always brought me immediate relief, but something is not totally ok yet.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Still a lot of issues :/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

However not completely solved, the server is performing again as usual!

luchtzak

Re: Aviation24.be uptime/downtime topic

Post by luchtzak »

The past 24 hours we have been experiencing some network issues on the server, affecting Aviation24.be and all other sites running on the same server. We are constantly working and monitoring the server and its software. Thanks for your patience during today's interruptions.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

The forums were briefly down, I screwed up, please don't ask why and how ;-)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

I did it again! After an update of some software, some pages on the main site were not fully operational. Meanwhile, the issue has been fixed.

jan_olieslagers

Don't leave your sleep for this, dear @Luchtzak. Today's IT systems are more delicate than ever, ask me how I know. Thanks for your continued care and effort! But do remember to always - ALWAYS! - have a plan B. Not unlike aviating, actually :mrgreen:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 17:12 Don't leave your sleep for this, dear @Luchtzak. Today's IT systems are more delicate than ever, ask me how I know. Thanks for your continued care and effort! But do remember to always - ALWAYS! - have a plan B. Not unlike aviating, actually :mrgreen:
Indeed, Bram already explained me a zillion times. Despite having backups and some knowledge, things can go wrong very quickly! I hate those 500 error codes!

luchtzak

Re: Aviation24 be uptime/downtime topic

Post by luchtzak »

Warnernub wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 15:25 When you try to enter the forum via luchtzak.be/forums, you have to login twice. I think the second attempt is then via aviation24.be/forums.
Better via https://www.aviation24.be/forums ;-)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

A glitch in our database created some error pages on the forum pages. Repaired now!
WhatsApp Image 2018-12-30 at 11.22.12.jpeg

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Message from Nucleus.be, where our main server is located: we are scheduling an expedited maintenance to our core switching equipment in our data center in KPN Nossegem.

Date: Monday, 25/2/2019, 22:00h - Tuesday, 26/2/2019, 01:00h (UTC +1)

Reason: Firmware upgrades to our core routing equipment, needed to ensure stability of our networking stack in the future.

Expected impact: There might be some packet loss as traffic is re-routed, the redundant switches will take over routing during maintenance. Any impact should be limited to a few minutes at most.