Camera lens

Looking for a specific safety-card, an aviation magazine or a special aircraft model? Want to sell your stuff? Like to exchange with other members? This is the place for all your aviation hobby-related questions and answers!
AirSmetten

Post by AirSmetten »

lol

Also never heard about a 50-500 without AF switch....

How bizar how bizar... How much did you pay for this lens???
If it doesn't have the AF switch I don't thing its a real SIGMA 50-500.

My 50-500 is on the way and for bad weather conditions hope to fall back on my nasty Sigma 400 5.6 APO. Sometimes a pain in the ass...but better than the 50-500 in bad weather.

Greetz

Rick

Fuji-Monster

Post by Fuji-Monster »

Hello,

I started years ago with a cheap plastic 125euro Nikkor 75-240.
When the weather is sunny; my cheap lens still makes nice photos.
If Brussels would be in California, you could consider it.

If your budget is tight .. go for the Nikkor 70-300 or the sigma equivalent.

If your budget is reasonable .. go for the sigma 70-200 or the 120-300.

If your budget is no factor; go for the 70-200VR or 80-400VR.

I never had the 50-500 but you don't need 50 for spotting and it demands a lot of practice for a stable shot at 500mm.

If you have no intention of using your lens other than spotting purposes; you can consider a prime fix like 300mm.

Greetings

westwings

Post by westwings »

Andries wrote:Are you sure ? normally al modern lenses have it ! it is located near the mount of the lens. As far as I know, there is not a single 50-500 without Autofocus :?

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
There is a switch near the mount with a orange dot. This is not the same switch as pictured in the manual you get with the lens. The only other switch is the lock - unlock one. If you read the posts on the following forum http://www.birdpix.nl/viewtopic.php?p=1 ... a2598a8764 (only Dutch) you can see I'm not the only one with problems :roll:

I have bought it at Corné-Vaniperen for €999. Anyway I have contacted them and can return the lens for repair or a new one.
Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere

Andries

Post by Andries »

I had a chat with Pietn yesterday (he also uses D70 + Sigma 50-500) and apparently there is NO button for AF on the Sigma 50-500's for Nikons. This is because there is such a button on the body allready !

In other words, the lens is perfectly adapted to the nikon camera's !

Hope this solves some questions !

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

AirSmetten

Post by AirSmetten »

jeps
Sorry but I saw it to yesterday.
Looks like the newer 50-500 DG doesn't has a seperate switch for the AF. But the older ones do HAVE one.
But a D70 50-500 combo does has AF!

Greetings
Rick

westwings

Post by westwings »

AirSmetten wrote:jeps
Sorry but I saw it to yesterday.
Looks like the newer 50-500 DG doesn't has a seperate switch for the AF. But the older ones do HAVE one.
But a D70 50-500 combo does has AF!

Greetings
Rick
Correct, but mine is apparently broken :evil: Thanks anyway for all your help guys :wink:
Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere

Avro

Post by Avro »

Andries wrote: I made the mistake of buying a great body (EOS 10D) and buying a sh*tty lens (Tamron 28-300 ==> NOBODY buy this lens ! it stinks !) ... Please don't make the same mistake as I did ! I know I regretted it !
Don't say that ;)

I have the Tamron 28-300 on the EOS300D body. I agree that the lens isn't the best one, but I'm still convinced that it's a great lens for learning. It was my first lens and I really made some nice progress with it. Of course I've reached the limits of the lens (that's why a new one is coming as I write this message ;) ) but I wouldn't say that it' a shitty lens and that it stinks.

Chris