skeyes (ex-Belgocontrol) ATCO vacancies

Find your job in the aviation industry.
Atco EBBR

Re: Belgocontrol ATCO vacancy 2015-2016

Post by Atco EBBR »

It is, but is not uncommon when recruiting ATCO's. The reason for that being that it takes a lot of time (and thus money) to train an ATCO. So if you want some sort of return on invest, you need younger people...

As well, this age discrimination is legal if it has been requested before to the relevant authorities. In my recollection, it's the first time that Belgocontrol imposes this age restriction.

That being said, I hope that lots of people try, because we really need you!

Hue

Post by Hue »

You can now subscribe to become an air traffic controller in Belgium. Apply untill 9 september to test your spatial awareness and cognitive skills. You can have what it takes to guide airplanes safely! Expect extensive training, a chance to take responsability and endless support from your colleagues.
In 2015 only 20% of candidates were female, while in our daily operations it's more 50%-50%. If you're born in 1991 or later, register and show them how it's done. Grab your opportunity, ladies and gentlemen.

All info via https://www.belgocontrol.be/air-traffic-controller

737pilot

Post by 737pilot »

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I would love to apply there again and give it another try. Does anyone know if candidates having taken the FEAST back in 2015 are still elegible to apply ?

Best Regards

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

737pilot wrote:I am new to this forum.
Welcome to Luchtzak, 737pilot.

I hope that a Belgocontrol staff will be able to reply to your question.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atco EBBR

Post by Atco EBBR »

If you're not older than 25, you're still eligible.

Best of luck! And don't wait, registrations close 9 September...

737pilot

Post by 737pilot »

Thanks for the headsup ! However I will probably apply for the second session in december. Sadly, I will not be in Belgium for quite a while as part of my studies. Hopefully I will be back by then :) The best of luck to everyone taking the FEAST in September !

Best Regards

737pilot

Post by 737pilot »

Just got my invitation for FEAST 1 on the 16th of February. Anyone else ?

Hue

Post by Hue »

737pilot wrote: 10 Jan 2017, 15:45 Anyone else ?
Thank you for applying, 737pilot!

Belgocontrol received 623 applications last month for atco recruitment. They will be screening all data provided till the end of this week. It is possible some eligible candidates still have to receive their invitation for FEAST 1.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

A friend of mine passed several tests, then after the last one he was told that the next step was to be half a year's training far abroad (Sweden, ISTR?) and was quite disgusted about that: his personal situation does not allow long stays abroad. He assures me he hadn't been told about this before, and if he had he would never have registered anyway. Now he has done quite a deal of effort and it all of it is wasted, only because he wasn't told the complete story before he registered.

NB this story is recent, not really about the 2015-2016 session anymore, I think. Admins, feel free to move.

Sproetje

Post by Sproetje »

It was mentioned in the vacancy on Belgocontrol's website. So probably he was so excited he didn't read very well.

https://www.belgocontrol.be/nl/air-traffic-controller

And it's always a struggle with your personal/private situation, Kriva was "based" in Belgium during the trainings, but it was (is) a heavy period. Even now, 16 months after the start.

Hopefully he can make the right choise.
~Memento Mori~

jan_olieslagers

It was mentioned in the vacancy on Belgocontrol's website. So probably he was so excited he didn't read very well.
At that website I do read that part of the training is in Malmö, yes. I do not read, however
* that he'd have to be away for six months
* that he'd scarcely have any occasion for visiting his family during those 6 months
* that this 6 months training would start a bare two weeks after the last test

Not telling the full truth is telling half a lie...

Sproetje

Re: Belgocontrol ATCO vacancies

Post by Sproetje »

You're right, but when I read something like that in a vacancy, I ask for more information. Even when I'm not sure if I will pass all the tests. But I understand his "anger"

But
jan_olieslagers wrote: 11 Jan 2017, 09:55 * that he'd scarcely have any occasion for visiting his family during those 6 months
The first year of the training you don't have time for that, I can't count how many times I was alone at parties or dinners because Kriva was at home, with his books. And people understand it the first weeks, but after many months they are a little bit confused. When you live abroad they will understand why you're not there.

(We were that crazy to have a baby right after his first year, she was only 4 days old when he had another test, so he studied with a 2-day old baby on his lap. She was 2 months with Christmas now when he was in the possibility to take the remaining 6 days of his "father-leave".)
~Memento Mori~

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 11 Jan 2017, 09:55
At that website I do read that part of the training is in Malmö, yes. I do not read, however
* that he'd have to be away for six months
* that he'd scarcely have any occasion for visiting his family during those 6 months
* that this 6 months training would start a bare two weeks after the last test

Not telling the full truth is telling half a lie...
Yeah right, with such a mentality, aviation was definitely not for him...

jan_olieslagers

One's mentality is one thing, the practical arrangements one has made can be quite another. Most of us have to make some compromises, you know... It was mainly the very short notice - 2 weeks! - for the long training abroad that upset him.

But anyway, I think personal sneers like that are not really what we want on this forum (or on any other). I was almost tempted to ask if perhaps you needed to point out what a sacrifice all those brave aviators are bringing, giving up their private life for the common good :mrgreen:

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 11 Jan 2017, 13:29 One's mentality is one thing, the practical arrangements one has made can be quite another. Most of us have to make some compromises, you know... It was mainly the very short notice - 2 weeks! - for the long training abroad that upset him.

But anyway, I think personal sneers like that are not really what we want on this forum (or on any other). I was almost tempted to ask if perhaps you needed to point out what a sacrifice all those brave aviators are bringing, giving up their private life for the common good :mrgreen:
If I understand well, your friend applied for a job where it is clearly advertised that a part of the training will be in Sweden (and the job offer even mentions the training takes years), he goes quite far into the selection process and then realizes he will have to make compromises? And it's a problem for him?

And then you blame belgocontrol for not saying on the job offer exactly how long they will need to leave?
Don't you think there is might be a reason for that? That it depends on many external factors, maybe?

If you apply for such a job, you should know you have to forget your social life for a while.
I actually wonder how he could go that far in the process without realizing that. That's close to being unbelievable.

What a waste of time for belgocontrol, indeed.

Wishing all the best to *motivated* candidates (like Kriva) to get the job they want to do!
That's the kind of profile we need in this particular sector!

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

Sorry... I'll send this second answer as a PM... has nothing to do on a forum ;-)

jan_olieslagers

That certain compromises were to be made was clear enough - each job has some, and I am sure my friend was aware of the overall package. Only, as already stated, he was unhappy that he hadn't been told before that the training would be so long, so intensive, and above all that it was to start so soon. Had he been given two months' notice instead of two weeks, he might well have managed.

I must agree to some degree with the comment by @Sproetje: my friend could and should have inquired about these details in advance. OTOH it would have been a small effort on the organising side to provide a timeline diagram of the training scheme. Would have saved some effort and some frustration to all concerned.

Last and most of all: a waste of time and of effort, yes, for all parties concerned. Sad indeed.

Last word from me on this subject.

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

Given the entrance criteria (max. 25yr / only secondary education) and the Belgian legislation, it's totally unprofessional for a Belgian employer, to expect candidates to be available 2 weeks after end of the selection process. Up to 9 or even 10 weeks of legally required notice period could be applicable to these candidates (max. 7 years of employment by the same employer)

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Or maybe this "short notice next step" is part of the screening process?

When I read about KriVa, and Sproetje, I'd say he has the right stuff no?

But of course there are rights and law and directives and ....

H.A.

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 11 Jan 2017, 22:56 Or maybe this "short notice next step" is part of the screening process?
No it's not, but some could say it gives you an indication on your future working conditions...