New helicopter for the 40th Squadron in Coxyde

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

Sabena320

New helicopter for the 40th Squadron in Coxyde

Post by Sabena320 »

This will be the new helicopter for the 40th Squadron in Coxyde : http://www.bellagusta.com/air_ab_gallery.cfm
The delivery time is not yet known but probably somewhere between 2010 and 2012 because the SAR version is not yet developed.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice bird (or should I say 'mosquito'?). But has the Belgian government already approved the credits for that purchase? I did not read anything about it yet.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

Sabena320 wrote:I got it from there http://soetkin.stevenghyselbrecht.be/vi ... .php?t=318
So it's not yet approved by the government.
(sorry for double reply)

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

Hope it won't be ala A109 scandale!

Seb.

moons

Post by moons »

Looks nice! :)

Baywatch at Ostend...helicopters of the lifeguard flying by. :wink:

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

moons wrote:Baywatch at Ostend...helicopters of the lifeguard flying by.
Did you know that Belgium must have a SAR helicopter unit to fit with NATO standards?

Seb.

moons

Post by moons »

Hi Seb,

No I didn't know it. Good remark,thx. :)
So belgian SeaKings could operate in Holland and vice versa, dutch SAR in Belgium.

greets,moons

wouter_vda

Post by wouter_vda »

I doubt this would be the new bird for Koksijde. Over the last years, several candidates have flown at Koksijde airshow, but this one was never present I believe. The other candidates were much better I believe: bigger and stronger. Agreed, the Dutch do the same with those Tweeties, but the Sea Kings have more personel on board + they do other stuff like paradropping too...I'd like to see the EH101 or a Black Hawd derivate as the succesor of the current Sea Kings

Rago

Post by Rago »

wouter_vda wrote:I'd like to see the EH101
The info I got this could be possible in future...

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

The EH101 Merlin seems to me to be the natural successor to the Sea King.

wouter_vda

Post by wouter_vda »

the other options the Belgian government are supposed to be considering are:
-NH90
-uh60 blackhawk
-ec725 cougar
-EH101

rumours that NH90 would be it are circulating. this is supposed to be due to it's lower cost, which I think is not very wise. Buying the cheapest thing around, isn't always the best option...maintenance, spare parts, etc could end up costing way more + the chopper chosen has to be able to fullfill a heavy workload: a lot of flight time, heavy conditions,...

luchtmachterke

Post by luchtmachterke »

HorsePower wrote:Did you know that Belgium must have a SAR helicopter unit to fit with NATO standards?
It's primarily the ICAO Convention of Chicago held in 1944 that lays down the rules for Search and Rescue.

ICAO Annex 12 states:
"Contracting states shall arrange for the establishment and provision of search and rescue services within the territories."

So NATO or no NATO Belgium is member of ICAO and has to provide SAR services, also to civilians.

Greg

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

luchtmachterke wrote:"Contracting states shall arrange for the establishment and provision of search and rescue services within the territories."
Having search and rescue services within the territory is one thing, having a search and rescue helicopter* unit able to intervene over the sea is an other. Since Belgium has a seaside, they must have a SAR helicopter unit (NATO standards).

*or an hydroplane unit

Royal Netherlands Air Force
NATO regulations require that a rescue helicopter is standing by during actual use of a live firing range. This was the case back then and this is still a requirement nowadays.
Regards

Seb.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Why not go for a tilt-rotor aircraft like the Bell/Agusta BA609, or is that too small?

Concerning Dutch SAR aircraft operating our coastline : I have noticed that a Dutch Coast Guard Dornier aircraft has landed at Ostend Airport several times in the not too distant past. Does anyone know the purpose of these visits?

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

wouter_vda wrote:The other options the Belgian government are supposed to be considering are:
-NH90

The New Zealand Government is buying the NH90 to replace the ageing Bell Iroquios helicopters for SAR and troop movement roles, the first NH90 's will be deliverred in 2009.

blackbox

Post by blackbox »

There are rumours that the new Belgian NH90 helicopters will get 'US Coast Guard'-colors. (at least the 4 SAR helicopters)

Can anyone confirm this? Personally, I would love to see those NH90's in these colors: