PlanePlotter Belgium - Mil & Civ Radarspotting

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

TiboJ

PlanePlotter Belgium - Mil & Civ Radarspotting

Post by TiboJ »

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a topic about PlanePlotter, so here it is!

PlanePlotter is a network of users sharing their ADS-B / Mode-S receiver data witch eachother.
So PlanePlotter's coverage does depend on the amount of users sharing their received data.

With PlanePlotter, it is also possible to track military aircraft or in other words, track aircraft that are not sending out position information like civilian aircraft do.
When an aircraft is not sending out position information with the transponder (Mode-S), PlanePlotter can still calculate the position of it and plot it on a chart/map.
This technique is called 'Multilateration' or 'Mlat'.
This sounds very good, but... this function does depend on other PlanePlotter users sharing their data received from their Mode-S / ADSB-B receiver.
As a result, Multilateration doesn't work when nobody is sharing raw receiver data with PlanePlotter!

In Belgium there are at this moment only 4 users providing data to the PlanePlotter network!
As a result, Multilateration is not stable in Belgium.
We need more Ground Stations (data feeders) providing useable Mlat data in Belgium so this system becomes more stable.
I can assure you that this is an 'added value' for spotters, especially for military aircraft.
Systems like Flightradar24 do filter most of 'special' aircraft, this is not the case with PlanePlotter.

Who is already using PlanePlotter? Who is interested?
I hope the Belgian community of PlanePlotter users increases!
Feel free to ask questions, but I am not an expert!

Regards,
T
Last edited by TiboJ on 18 Jun 2014, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

TiboJ

Re: PlanePlotter Belgium - Mil & Civ Radarspotting

Post by TiboJ »

Nobody interested?

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I would be interested, but my radar only points to a useful location for two months a year.
Most of the time it's located in Ostend, overlooking the Channel, with a huge building behind it, blocking signals coming from Belgium.
Also, I don't really like the lack of user friendliness Planeplotter has, last time I tested it. But that's probably just me.
Thomas

TiboJ

Post by TiboJ »

The first time I used it, it was a bit difficult, but once you get know to it, it's very easy to use and has many good features!
There are also several forums with very helpful people around and I am also prepared to help new users setting PlanePlotter up.
You don't have to be a computer expert at all :)

So guys, spread the word :)

Vonsmalhausen

Post by Vonsmalhausen »

i would be interested, but i'm using Radarbox ; don't think it can send raw data to planeplotter.
but i'll have a look at it later this week ;)

TiboJ

Post by TiboJ »

No I think Radarbox can't send raw data to PlanePlotter, but maybe there is already a 'fix' for that.

I just use a R820T Dongle receiver (€20) and it is able to provide raw Mlat data to PlanePlotter when using Dump1090 software.

TiboJ

Post by TiboJ »

Already some spotters wanting to use PP :)
Who is next?