Interested in USS Aircraft Carriers ?

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

Interested in USS Aircraft Carriers ?

Post by 777 »

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

What a coincidence 777. I was telling a mate about my 1st visit to a carrier back in '75 when I was aboard the Nimitz off Edinburgh during its First cruise to Europe. This was in the days when USN aircraft were very colourful unlike todays grey on grey. A long drive to get to Edinburg through a rainstorm, sleeping in the car at Leuchars then a rough boat ride out to the carrier - but the sight of over 80 aircraft sitting in and on the carrier was just unbelievable. We had a US Mrrine guide (they keep the peace) who explained that there are 5000+ crew and the shop has its own TV station. All the numbers are incredible ( fuel, munitions, food etc)

Since that time I have visited quite a few others including 2 of the smaller ones, the Guam and the Guadalcanal (both now out of commission I believe) which carry only helicopters and AV-8's.

One time I went to the Solent (between Southampton and the Isle of Wight) to see the JFK and the QE2 liner sailed past. The QE2 is a large liner but was dwarfed by the carrier.

Meerkat

Post by 777 »

• Meerkat wrote:What a coincidence 777. I was telling a mate about my 1st visit to a carrier back in '75
    I am happy to hear from someone interested in US Carriers.

Most of the nuclear ones have +/- 5500 crews of all grades on board.
    From these half have a direct relation to planes.

I think the Guam and the Guadalcanal are LHA/LHD, but I will have to check.

The last link is a LHA/LHD link.

Like you said in comparison to the QE2 (large aleady), Carriers are amazing. In fact this is due to the ship/airport combination.

Andre

Post by 777 »

The Guam and the Guadalcanal are nor Carriers(among all of the them) neither LHA/LHD.

I wonder what they are or were ?

Andre

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

Last year I saw a TV program about the USS A. Lincoln.

Indeed enormous in any way !!

Actually such a ship carries about the total Belgian Air Force strike and fighter force ... The Air component of such carrier includes fighters, transport planes, tankers, helicopters, AWACS-planes.

Having such a floating air force is a potent weapon on the international political scene. Within several hours the US can have a considerable air force in the neighbourhoud of every nation in this world ....

Every ship makes "cruises" of ± 6 months. The working up for such cruise takes also about ± 6-8 months (after every cruise about 1/3 of the crew is changed !!). After every cruise the carriers need maintenance which also takes some months ....

Between twe cruises the Carrier Air Group (all the planes) resides at its homebase, preparing for the next cruise.

After the maintenance check and before a new cruise, a carrier often acts as a training carrier for the new naval aviators who need to get carrier qualified during their training.

A318

Post by A318 »

Sorry 777 but now after introducing military aviation we also going to introduce USS aircraft carriers?
I can see you are very interested in this but how far do we go? Can we also start about companies that take crashed airplanes out of the water like Smit Tak? Don't feel attacked by my comment but I see more and more side topics starting on luchtzak and I became a member of luchtzak for the commercial aviation and not for all the military stuff.
There are a lot of other forums for that, so I don't see the need why we start topics about it here.
I don't know what other people think about this but it starts to bother me.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Comet

Post by Comet »

Erwin - I am in complete agreement with you.

There are many forums devoted to military matters, and comparatively few (good) civil aviation forums.

Civil aviation is always seen as the "poor relation" compared to military aviation. In the UK there are many magazines for military enthusiasts and just one for civil fans. Even the museums and preservation aviation sections concentrate almost entirely on military (usually WW2) aircraft. Don't airliners need to be preserved? They are as much a part of aviation history as a Spitfire or a Lancaster, yet the preservation groups overlook them.

I like this site as it is - there are many excellent aviation-related forums on here (civil fans are not better catered for anywhere) and don't want to see the whole thing taken over by military talk.

Contrary to the views of certain people on this forum, I am not "anti" military aviation, I just think there are other forums which are there just for military, so why can't we keep this just for the civil stuff?
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A318 and Comet,

The post on aircraft carriers was posted in the Luchtzak Pub forum. In a pub, you can talk about everything, can't you?

Furthermore, in the name aircraft carrier, there is also the word aircraft.

Finally in Luchtzak, we also speak about airports. Why not about their marine counterparts: aicraft carriers?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

At the moment Luchtzak is a civil aviation forum - that is the difference between discussing airports (which are civilian) and aircraft carriers (which are not).

I am interested in military aviation, I have books about military aircraft, but I do not enjoy discussing military issues very much, as it always seems to turn around to politics and anti-US sniping. If it remained solely concentrated on aircraft, then it is not a problem, but it never seems to with military stuff.

And I do not want to fall out with anyone on this forum on the military matter.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

I have to agree with André. We are in the pub here, where we can start topics about everything.

In the pub we allready talked about pets, football, F1, collections, nicknames, TV series and much more. So why wouldn't it be possible to start a topic about aircraft carriers. :roll:

Regards
Chris
8)

Mig17pilot

Post by Mig17pilot »

oh i hve pictures of carriers ! i get scanning soon

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Mig17pilot wrote:oh i have pictures of carriers ! i get scanning soon
Russian carriers? That would be geat!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Lien

Post by Lien »

• sn26567 wrote:A318 and Comet,

The post on aircraft carriers was posted in the Luchtzak Pub forum. In a pub, you can talk about everything, can't you?

Furthermore, in the name aircraft carrier, there is also the word aircraft.

Finally in Luchtzak, we also speak about airports. Why not about their marine counterparts: aicraft carriers?

I like very much your diplomatic statement.

As 777 said:
    With this topic I just want to know if some people are also interested in Aircraft Carriers ?
    I think for him it is just a question and sort of testing the interest.

See you.

Lien !

Comet

Post by Comet »

:finger: to sychophantic smarming!!

Are we going to see this forum actually taken over by military talk? I hope not, I hope the balance will continue in the favour of civilian aviation, especially Belgian aviation.
Louise

Lien

Post by Lien »

I am sure it will. No worries.

Lien !

A318

Post by A318 »

If it does start like that and everywhere it will be military stuff I will probably not be here much anymore.
Let's hope this is and will stay a commerical aviation forum.

On one hand they are correct in what they are saying, this is the pub and all kinds of talk are allowed here, I didn't even noticed when I posted my comment we were in the pub, but still no offence (I was in the military almost 11 years including 7 and a half years with the RNLAF) but please be gentle with our so be loved forum ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

If military aviation is not welcome on this aviation site, why would topics like "favourite pet", "Anderlecht-Celtic", "best fish restaurant in Mechelen", "favourite Belgian Beer", ... be welcome??

I am interested in both military and civil aviation. So I should be able to tlak about civil matters on this site, but I should go elsewhere when I see a nice military plane when I go spotting in Brussels ???

I really don't understand !!!!!!!!!

If people want this site be reserved only for matters of civil aviation, no problem, but then you also should stop talking all the others things (pets, restaurants, beers, food, shoes, football, ....)

Lien

Post by Lien »

Also in case you spot an Aircraft Carrier at EBBR.

But in a way you are right.

Lien !

Lien

Post by Lien »

• If people want this site be reserved only for matters of civil aviation, no problem, but then you also should stop talking all the others things (pets, restaurants, beers, food, shoes, football, ....)
    I don't know if you've seen it but this topic is placed in the
    The Luchtzak-Pub section.
    This section is in fact to talking about football, Cars, Pets ,etc ....
    In order not to disturb the aviation fanatics. And at the same time
    gives you the possibilty to speak about your other interests.

I think Bart will agree with my explanation.

Lien !

Post by 777 »

That's quite correct Lien.

See you.

Andre