Cruise speed vs top of descent

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Atco EBBR

Re: Cruise speed vs top of descent

Post by Atco EBBR » 29 Nov 2019, 00:26

How many track miles from the boundary to the ILS25L for a usual approach into BRU?
I'd say 60 nm if you get the ARVOL-BUN shortcut and can intercept at 10nm. Probably around 80 to 90 nm if you have to follow the STAR and intercept at around 20 nm.
On the 737 you can only select a heading on the autopilot, you would need to adapt the heading by yourself to continue on the requested track. But for modern planes ( :lol: ) like the 787, you can switch that autopilot mode between heading and track easily.
I guess you're talking about the 737NG? Surprised to hear that an autopilot track selection does not exist on that plane, it's not as if the design predates GPS... I suppose the MAX - if we see it in the air again - has the feature as well? Any idea about other types?
Here in Western Europe, magvar is negligible, making the point rather moot
Well, if you have spend tremendous time and effort in repainting runways, and updating AIPs and FMS's, just because magvar changed by 1 degree and the magnetic runway direction is now 014 iso 015, then I think you have a very valid point! Magnetic is a relict, everything true please!

737MAX

Re: Cruise speed vs top of descent

Post by 737MAX » 29 Nov 2019, 04:10

Atco EBBR wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 00:26

I guess you're talking about the 737NG? Surprised to hear that an autopilot track selection does not exist on that plane, it's not as if the design predates GPS... I suppose the MAX - if we see it in the air again - has the feature as well? Any idea about other types?
NG & MAX have the same autopilot, so unfortunately no track selection possible in the box on both models. However, you see a track line & your heading (obviously) on the Navigation Display at all times.

For other types, I checked the A320 MCP on google pics and it has a HDG/TRK button. I don’t know if it’s standard though.