28/09/2018: mayday call Cirrus SR22 Antwerp-Rotterdam: carbon monoxide alert

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

28/09/2018: mayday call Cirrus SR22 Antwerp-Rotterdam: carbon monoxide alert

Post by Passenger »

On Friday 28th Sept 2018, around 17h35 local time, the German pilot from a Cirrus SR22 reg. N745AJ took off from ANR Antwerp. He was the only POB. He levelled off at FL110.

At 18h00 local, whilst NW of Breda, the pilot called mayday to Rotterdam Approach, reporting “…an indication of more then 600 CO…”. The pilot reported he was on oxygen and requested a medical doctor for him upon arrival.

After having restarted the system, the pilot reported “the CO now shows zero” and continued for a safe landing at RTM, where he was awaited by paramedics on the runway. In- and outbound traffic were delayed for a shortwhile.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... j#1e072ce3

jan_olieslagers

Re: 28/09/2018: mayday call Cirrus SR22 Antwerp-Rotterdam: carbon monoxide alert

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Was Rotterdam the planned destination? If so, climbing to FL110 seems like overkill. OTOH the flight was unlikely to be planned much farther, given the early sunset these days. Or was it planned for IFR or night VFR? A flight plan was required, so it should be verifyable, though perhaps not right now.

That said, CO is a treacherous silent killer, owner/operator did wise to install a detector. If I had one in my own pride and joy, as I haven't, if it triggered I would cut the throttle, slow down, and open a window - and drop the bird into the nearest field if the indication didn't go away. But opening an SR22's window in flight is not a trivial exercise, as I understand.

DIBO

Re: 28/09/2018: mayday call Cirrus SR22 Antwerp-Rotterdam: carbon monoxide alert

Post by DIBO »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 18:32Was Rotterdam the planned destination?
No, Hamburg