on crew layover

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

domtom

on crew layover

Post by domtom »

Hi

1) removed

2) related to this, do the emeritary airlines (qatar Emirates etc) send their crews and back on the same flight, or do they stay a night in brussels?

3) am I right in assuming SN crew typically rest a night abroad befote returning to brussels?

Thanks

luchtzak

Re: on crew layover

Post by luchtzak »

All long-haul flights have a legal rest at Brussels, sending back the crew in positioning is economically not viable (less seats to sell).

A schedule of a Brussels Airlines pilot or cabin crew depends. You can have between 1 and 4 flights per day, if you have 2 or 4 it means that you always come back to Brussels. If you have 1 or 3 it means that you have a lay-over somewhere in Europe.

I should remove your hotel summary as it is rather private.

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

I presume the question is about long haul duties. Long haul crews will generally stay at destination, however you will also see companies trying to minimize those layovers by (if required) increasing to 3 men crew in case of stops on the way. 4 men crew are usually used on ultra long haul, or if the destination is too unstable/unsafe and the company prefers to keep the crew on the aircraft and bring everybody back home (destinations like Kabul, Daka,...).
luchtzak wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 17:09I should remove your hotel summary as it is rather private.
It is also a security matter. Remember the terrorist attack in Mali a while back, they were after the Air France crew.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

The same crew onboard Iran Air flight from IKA to ARN fly the both ways (including a stop in PRG for refuelling). That's a long day.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

domtom

Post by domtom »

Thanks.

I presume the question is - do pilots and crew from Emirates et Ethihad or Qatar just stay a night in Brussels, or more? I remember asking a crew member when landing into IAD who said they just stayed a night cos the flight was a short hop from Amsterdam. So they left the next day. Would that be similar across most airlines?

Sorry, no security threat or what not intended with earlier question. Just see some vans full of crews sometimes so was curious to find out. 'T's all

Cheers

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

domtom wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 22:54 Thanks.

I presume the question is - do pilots and crew from Emirates et Ethihad or Qatar just stay a night in Brussels, or more? I remember asking a crew member when landing into IAD who said they just stayed a night cos the flight was a short hop from Amsterdam. So they left the next day. Would that be similar across most airlines?

Sorry, no security threat or what not intended with earlier question. Just see some vans full of crews sometimes so was curious to find out. 'T's all

Cheers
It depend how regular are the flights, if there is a flight everyday, the layover is normally more or less 24h if there are less than a daily flight, the crew stay a bit longer.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

domtom wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 22:54

Cheers
In British airways publicly sharing where crew are staying (or even "checking in" in a specific hotel on Facebook for example) is considered to be gross misconduct with possible dismissal, so airlines do take this a serious security sensitive info

domtom

Post by domtom »

crew1990 wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 23:15
domtom wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 22:54 Thanks.

Cheers
It depend how regular are the flights, if there is a flight everyday, the layover is normally more or less 24h if there are less than a daily flight, the crew stay a bit longer.
Good point - presume the same rule applies to SN in Africa then?

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

If I'm not mistaken, the "Flying Spanner" on board (some) SN AFI flights remains on board for the return flight, no?

H.A.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sean1982 wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 09:45
domtom wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 22:54

Cheers
In British airways publicly sharing where crew are staying (or even "checking in" in a specific hotel on Facebook for example) is considered to be gross misconduct with possible dismissal, so airlines do take this a serious security sensitive info
Text adapted!

domtom

Post by domtom »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 12:14 If I'm not mistaken, the "Flying Spanner" on board (some) SN AFI flights remains on board for the return flight, no?

H.A.
What's flying spanner? Crew that's on the same plane and kicks into gear for the return leg? Any destinations you know of that work this way?

Established02

Post by Established02 »

What's flying spanner?
It's an aircraft engineer.
http://jobs.trovit.co.uk/flying-spanner-jobs

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

domtom wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 08:36
Homo Aeroportus wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 12:14 If I'm not mistaken, the "Flying Spanner" on board (some) SN AFI flights remains on board for the return flight, no?

H.A.
What's flying spanner? Crew that's on the same plane and kicks into gear for the return leg? Any destinations you know of that work this way?
It's an endearment term for, as Established02 said, a licenced aircraft engineer and as such you shouldn't expect him to "kick tires".
S/he is a valuable assets to the airline especially when the outstation has limited tech resources.
The Flying Spanner will either "fix" technical issues himself or be instrumental in communicating with the operations at home to help solving the problem swiftly, thereby avoiding a costly AOG.
I don't know on which lines SN deploys them but I seem to remember flights in East Africa, KGL, EBB, NBO, having a Flying Spanner on board.

H.A.

Duke

Post by Duke »

When there is an evening flight, arriving outside Brussel (e.g. Madrid) at around 10 pm, and an early morning flight leaving Madrid for Brussels at e.g. around 7 am, I suppose those flights are not operated by the same crew?
Because the time to get from the airport to the hotel in the evening, and the time to get from the hotel to the airport in the early morning would leave very little time for the crew to sleep?
So, at most outposts, there are at least two crews of the airlines at the hotel?

Regards,

Duke

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

If I remember well, schedules at Sabena looked a bit like:
Day 1: BRU-TXL-BRU-GVA (last flight of the day to leave after 9PM f.e.)
Day 2: GVA-BRU-MAD-BRU (flight leaving GVA at around 1.30PM f.e.)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Duke wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 21:05 When there is an evening flight, arriving outside Brussel (e.g. Madrid) at around 10 pm, and an early morning flight leaving Madrid for Brussels at e.g. around 7 am, I suppose those flights are not operated by the same crew?
Because the time to get from the airport to the hotel in the evening, and the time to get from the hotel to the airport in the early morning would leave very little time for the crew to sleep?
So, at most outposts, there are at least two crews of the airlines at the hotel?
Shift crew.

Crew rest duty time...