Brussels Airlines: a Flemish company?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

jan_olieslagers

Re: Brussels Airlines: a Flemish company?

Post by jan_olieslagers »

If I may be allowed to enter upon the delicate matter of languages in Belgium (and I do agree that the real subject matter is elsewhere, as duly pointed out):

Several posters have mentioned "Walloons" or "Wallonians" when meaning "Belgian French-speakers". That is quite wrong, in my experience. More than once I have found people from Wallonia to be well-mannered, soft spoken, and doing great efforts to learn some Dutch. And it does take a good deal of effort for them as their education system is rather poor, in this respect as in many. Whenever I observe manners I find unacceptable, it is from people from Brussels, rather than from Wallonia. There remains a certain mindset of "la capitale" (and its people) are superior to "la province". This shows in many ways, sticking to the language of la supérieure capitale is just one. (The same error occurred already in the 1968 manifestations that led to the split-up of the Leuven university: the main slogan was "Walen buiten" but the really unwanted people were rich bourgeoisie youngsters from Brussels, who did at the time display a manifest disdain for all others, Wallonians included. Some of them, at least, let us not generalise.)

For one example: I worked for several years in a bilingual state organisation. Our team included five Wallonians, two Flemish, and one guy from Brussels. There was exactly one person in the team who never spoke a single word of Dutch - now guess which one? ;)

On a related note: a serious error, committed by many Flemish, is to switch to French whenever someone addresses them, in Dutch, but with difficulty, or even with some bit of an accent. This is well intended, but it is not a good idea. I have known several Wallonians who gave up trying to speak Dutch, in disgust, because those arrogant Flemish would not appreciate their efforts, not did they get any chance to practice, that way. Well can I understand them! My suggestion: when addressed in Dutch, by an obvious non-native speaker, reply in Dutch. Only do it with more than the usual care: avoid dialect words, articulate clearly, speak a bit slower. Like a pilot is supposed to to in R/T (to return to an aviation note ;) )

b720

Post by b720 »

I disagree!!! U mention one case, or several... But for every negative experience there are lots of positive ones. One can not generalize. These are old perceptions that we need to bury once and for all.. I have met people from Brussels ( BRU CAPITALE) and they made huge efforts to speak NL. I have met others who made no effort what so ever.. it really goes both ways.. Some people are shy, and do not dare to speak the other language fearing that their weak language skills will be ridiculed, those people are seen by (the) others as aloof and superior.. very very few people stick to their own language out of spite!! This language debate always takes a passionate form and becomes counter productive, and downright offensive. Best to avoid it all together.. I still do not see the point, nor the point of the title of this thread.

Stij

Post by Stij »

And I close the topic as we're far away from aviation!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Just one more post. This thread started with a quote by Walloon Minister Marcourt in De Standaard. For those who want to see his original quote in French, here is a link: http://www.lalibre.be/actu/politique-be ... fc1122ae2d

Like in De Standaard, the main purpose of his intervention was to say that Wallonia is ready to sell its SN shares. In 2001 Wallonia had made a "patriotic gesture" by investing in the new airline to save jobs after the bankruptcy of Sabena.
André
ex Sabena #26567