Nightstops of Middle East-carriers in N. America

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

HQ_BRU_Lover

Nightstops of Middle East-carriers in N. America

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Hi all

I had a nice chat with a friendly flight attendant some weeks ago on a Ryanair-flight from CIA to CRL.

We discussed a little bit on how things went in aviation these days, about his work at Ryanair, being a CCM in general, etc. We arrived at the topic of the Middle East-carriers which I thought would be a popular place to work at for the younger generation flight attendants (keeping in mind all those shiny new aircraft, exotic bases, nice salary, nights stops, ...).

Now; about these night stops. He told me that one of the big Middle East-carriers (don't remember anymore it was Emirates, Qatar or Etihad) doesn't have nightstops at all in Northern America. He told me that crew A flies DXB-JFK and crew B JFK-DXB.

Does anyone have more info on this? The guy looked pretty well informed and told this in a serious way, but when thinking a bit about it... Can you imagine being 16 hours on a plane in a dull crew rest or at the back of the aircraft in economy and than start your duty for the next 16 hours?

I'd like to know more about this since it sounds like an interesting discussion.

What do you guys think?

Please make this a discussion with serious remarks & thoughts and not one of the well known FR against SN fights who spoil this forum.

Thanks
HQ_BRU_Lover

HQ_BRU_Lover

Re: Nightstops of Middle East-carriers in N. America

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Anybody with some thoughts or insights on the above?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I missed this topic completlely. I would tend to disagree with my colleague, as time on a jumpseat/crewrest is counted generally as duty time (or partially at least) and so it would totally not fit within the duty time an rest requirements. I have some friends at EK and they have overnights/layovers in the states for sure :)

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I would say the same. Positioning before (and for) duty is generally counted as being duty (either in whole, or part thereof). As such, it would not be possible to get those flights within the required maximum duty times.
Thomas

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not sure about this but it interests me as companies are looking for the most efficient way of operating.

Maybe crews negotiated a special clausule in their contracts, such as (just examples):
* DXB-DFW: 14 hrs. flying-time
- 5,5 hours flight, 3 hours rest, 5,5 hours flight (considering 11 hours is maximum allowed duty-time by IATA)

* DFW-DXB: 14 hrs. flying-time
- 14 hours rest (but considered as "special rest", f.e. paid 50%

babolat-blast

Post by babolat-blast »

It can't be Emirates, cause I know they have nights stops and crew hotels in NY.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

The routes mentioned are non-representative examples.

Middle-East carriers which might (!) be involved:
- Emirates
- Etihad
- Qatar Airways

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I'm sorry, but I really don't see that kind of operation happening. Having flown as crew myself, I can attest to the fatigue accrued by a positioning flight. Doing a positioning flight of 14 hours, only to work 16 hours straight after that, would be crazy, and unacceptable to any decent CAA around the world. The fatigue would be unimaginable.
Thomas

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

HQ, you probably misunderstood. The aircraft is not night stopping but the crews are!

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Of course stay these crews in hotels. (QR EY and EK)

On the A380 there are 12 cabin beds in the back at cabin rest area and around 27 cabin crew so make not sense to take an extra crew with you.
(or only if they travel in business class :-) )
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com