Qatar or Emirates?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SabenaForever

Qatar or Emirates?

Post by SabenaForever »

Hi

I am planning a trip to Oman at the end of April. So for the first time i am going to enjoy the service of a middle East carrier. After some resource EK and QR are the best options.. Prices and hours are almost the same..

Airplane wise i will go for QR because of the 787 and 77L... Is there a difference between service, good transfer, service on board?

Thanks

Grtz
Christophe

Stij

Re: Qatar or Emirates?

Post by Stij »

Hi,

which class would you fly?

Cheers,

Stij

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Stij wrote:Hi,

which class would you fly?

Cheers,

Stij
I will fly economy... ;)

Grtz

Stij

Post by Stij »

Just like me!

I would fly QR as EK has 10 seats abreast in Y on their 777...

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Stij wrote:I would fly QR as EK has 10 seats abreast in Y on their 777...
... and QR has 9 seats abreast on their 787. But this has now become a standard, except with Japanese airlines.
André
ex Sabena #26567

White Light

Post by White Light »

Why not Etihad, if you want to fly a Gulf carrier ? I would choose Etihad before EY or QR if prices are fairly similar.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

White Light wrote:Why not Etihad, if you want to fly a Gulf carrier ? I would choose Etihad before EY or QR if prices are fairly similar.
Well EY was also an option but the hours where not that good and the price was 150 euro more...

So it will be QR... Thanks guys

I will make a tripreport when i am back... ;)

Grtz
Last edited by SabenaForever on 10 Apr 2015, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

xelos

Post by xelos »

Good choice, I prefer QR above EK.

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

I would also say go for QR...

10 abreast seating on the 777 or 9 abreast in the 787 = sardine class for both, but the 787 will be quieter: QR wins.

QR is member of OneWorld so potentially easier to earn FF miles if you already have a membership account with one of the partner Airlines.

Connecting in DXB is a mess. Arriving on EK it's very likely that the aircraft will be parked at a remote stand, you'll then have to wait for a long bus ride to the terminal where even before finding toilets you will have to go through a security check. Then you finally end into a nice but overcrowded terminal. Transited twice last month, it took me 45 and 55 minutes after landing to reach the terminal. Oh, and do expect the same mess for boarding... "Old" DOH was really boring and messy but with the new Airport now being in service since last year it can be interesting, also for us if you're planning on writing a trip report ;)

Chances are that you will fly DOH-MCT on an A320 whereas EK would use another 777, but for a short flight the QR A320 sounds great too and more exotic for us Europeans.

Have a nice trip !

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

airtrainer wrote:I would also say go for QR...

10 abreast seating on the 777 or 9 abreast in the 787 = sardine class for both, but the 787 will be quieter: QR wins.

QR is member of OneWorld so potentially easier to earn FF miles if you already have a membership account with one of the partner Airlines.

Connecting in DXB is a mess. Arriving on EK it's very likely that the aircraft will be parked at a remote stand, you'll then have to wait for a long bus ride to the terminal where even before finding toilets you will have to go through a security check. Then you finally end into a nice but overcrowded terminal. Transited twice last month, it took me 45 and 55 minutes after landing to reach the terminal. Oh, and do expect the same mess for boarding... "Old" DOH was really boring and messy but with the new Airport now being in service since last year it can be interesting, also for us if you're planning on writing a trip report ;)

Chances are that you will fly DOH-MCT on an A320 whereas EK would use another 777, but for a short flight the QR A320 sounds great too and more exotic for us Europeans.

Have a nice trip !
I booked with QR... And no A320 on the DOH-MCT route but the 77L! ;) I definitly make some remarks about the new Airport, in my tripreport...

Grtz

babolat-blast

Post by babolat-blast »

777 of QR in economy is one of the best in it's class, enjoy! The 788 however... :? Hope you have the dayflight, cause then it's bearable.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Back from today.... ;) mixed feelings about QR! But 1 thing is for sure... Those 777's of QR are perfect! Details with photo's will follow in my tripreport!

Grtz