Callsign

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

convair

Callsign

Post by convair »

Not being an aviation pro, I sometimes ask myself stupid questions. Today, I have one on callsigns: I see on FR24 the SN flights, besides their flight number, show the BEL callsign followed by a few letters/numbers. They don't seem related to the flight destination; however, they are the same every day for a particular flight.

What is the purpose of this? Is it useful?

Thanks for comments/replies.

tolipanebas

Re: Callsign

Post by tolipanebas »

Basically, it shortens the flight numbers: iso 4 numbers, just 1 number and 2 letters (for outbound) and 2 numbers and 1 letter (for inbounds).

It's easier to use for both pilots and ATC, especially in communications involving loads of other numbers which have to be captured: frequencies, headings, altitudes,...

Many companies do it these days, btw.

convair

Post by convair »

Thanks for the clarification Tolipanebas.

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

And why is it that flights like for example to MAD keep the flight number? Like BEL3731.

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

tolipanebas wrote:It's easier to use for both pilots and ATC, especially in communications involving loads of other numbers which have to be captured: frequencies, headings, altitudes.
The main reason is to avoid similar and confusing callsigns on the same frequency.
eg: Bel931 and Bel831 or Bel931 and Ezy931
With three digits you only have 1000 different callsigns whilst airlines such as FR and EZY have close 1500 flights a day during the summer.
2 digits plus 1 letter and 1 digit plus 2 letters will give you almost 10000 posibilities. Some airlines use three digits and a letter as well, which adds another 26000 posibilities. Air France uses three digits and two letters for their domnestic flights, after the first contact this is abbreviated to just the two letters. To add even more posibilities some callsigns just use the commercial three or four digit flightnumber.