RYR at BRU (press conference)

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: RYR at BRU (press conference)

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:As for how many indirect jobs are created I don't know, but I'm sure that you know that operations is more then just flight and cabin crew. Security, handling, ground ops personnel, catering, etc... come to mind?
Indeed, but those haven't been advertised on the ryanair corporate website, have they?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Obviously not, as they don't work for FR, wtf :roll:

Have a look at the brusselsairport website and see how any companies are hiring in the jobs I mentioned above. All of them.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I ask, because there obviously hasn't been a massive spike in job offers at companies active at BRU so far, so just where are the much talked about 1,500 new jobs then?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Have a look at the brusselsairport website and see how any companies are hiring in the jobs I mentioned above. All of them.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Who was going to do the handling of ryanair?
Aviapartner?
They are searching for exactly ONE financial controller.

Any other companies I need to check for?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

no swissport, as I said above (forgot your glasses again?)

Swissport Belgium

Chargeurs d'avions (M/F)
Check-in Agent (NL en FR)
Duty Station Manager
HR Business Partner
Ramp controller (red cap)
Trieur de bagages (NL en FR)

Impact

Import Air/customer service medewerker
CLEANERS VLIEGTUIGEN
Credit collector part-time
Customer Service Medewerker
Douanedeklarant
Host(ess) / baliemedewerker parkings luchthaven
Import Air/customer service medewerker
Inside Sales Medewerker
Laders-Sorteerders Luchthaven
Logistiek Bediende
Operational team leader
Operations assistant met ambitie
Recruiter

G4S

Onthaalmedewerker “Airport Crew” (m/v)

Randstad

Airfreight operations/Commerciëel export airfreight (intern)
Bagagist & lader/losser
Bagagist (deeltijds)
Bediende import zeevracht
Car Rental Agent
Check In Bediende
Check In Bediende
Cleaner
Customer Opeartions Agent
Customer Operations Agent
Customer Service Agent
Douane-declarant
Douane-declarant
Import agent
Inventarist
Key Account Support
Magazijnmedewerker
Operational Manager
Runner
Tendering Support Adminstrator
Tendering Support Adminstrator

Sky Shops

VENDEURS - VENDEUSES CONSUMER GOODS
VERKOPERS - VERKOOPSTERS CONSUMER GOODS

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I see, and so those amount to 1,500 new jobs in Belgium?

As said: strange nobody talks about it in the press then, it's as much as an entirely new car factory being opened almost.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

That's because the press only reports sensational stuff

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

and 1500 new jobs isn't sentational????

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I really don't see what this has to do with the press conference??

AirOpinion

Post by AirOpinion »

There will not be 1500 new jobs in Brussels... let me tell you how it will go:

- Handling: they might have extended some contracts but why would you employ extra loaders for a flight with hardly any bulk baggage? Don't forget they are cutting costs at the handling company. So this will be another flight that can done in between. Furthermore there is hardly any supervision so why should handling be top notch. You might need some extra push back drivers... but you can arrange that by alterning the shift setting. Check-in/gate staff... same here thanks to the traffic peaks in BRU you can simply alter your shift settings.
- Catering: not to complicated for ryanair I guess... don't think many new jobs will come from here.
- Security: it's always busy when ryanair flies (same departure times as charter companies). You can expect to wait a bit longer... they really won't open another lane... also security wants to be profitable.

Oh yes, there are cabin and cockpit jobs...
I don't have an idea how that goes but... given the fact that there is already a CRL base. Probably they are able to increase the flight duties of the already available crews to the max? Maybe Sean can enlight us here?

This is the hard reality of the aviation business in 2014. :)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

AirOpinion wrote: Oh yes, there are cabin and cockpit jobs...
I don't have an idea how that goes but... given the fact that there is already a CRL base. Probably they are able to increase the flight duties of the already available crews to the max? Maybe Sean can enlight us here?
All FR crew are allready on their maximum flight duties per year. Crew based in CRL has nothing to do with BRU and vice versa. Most people going to BRU are tranferring from other bases, their position will be filled with transfers and new hires. FR has been in a constant state of hiring since I joined more than 10 years ago.
sean1982 wrote: And if you want to know where the 1500 number comes from:
Airports Council International research confirms up to 1,000 ‘on-site’ jobs are sustained at international airports for every 1m passengers

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

This is true that many companies are hiring in BRU but this is not only because of Ryanair.

Ryanair base 4 aircraft in BRU,
Vueling base 1 aircraft in BRU
Thomas Cook Airlines will base more aicraft.
Brussels Airlines will base more aircraft.
Jetairfly will base more aircraft.
Easyjet is expanding in BRU

All those expansion make that BRU companies will have to hire many employee, and this is not only due to Ryanair, even if 4 aircraft will create some job as well.

For the recruitment of Ryanair, I back up Sean, the jobs are advertise in their website and not on the Brussels Airport one. However on their website you wont see any "cabin crew BRU based" as Ryanair will decide where to put them. Finally, everytime a base open, Ryanair make a memo on their intranet to see if there is some crew willing to go to this new base, and they take within the company the coach, purser, base supervisor, base deputies, so this is why you don t see any job relate to Brussels as it´s mainly internally.

Oh and by the way, when i used to work for Ryanair I remember that our coach said that one 738-800 of Ryanair is 20 cabin crew and 10 pilots. Indeed when I was in MRS we had 4 aircraft based there and we was 80 cabin crew.

cnc

Post by cnc »

who cares about all the above... its not going well on the job market so any new job is welcome even if its only 10...
i'm sure most companies are waiting for recruitment untill they can actually see how much load the new flights put on their workers.

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

That's complete nonsense of course. They (or a bureau) calculated that 1.000 jobs are created for 1 million pax. Yesterday they repeated that thanks to RYR they offer employment to 6500 people in Belgium...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Sabena320 wrote:That's complete nonsense of course. They (or a bureau) calculated that 1.000 jobs are created for 1 million pax. Yesterday they repeated that thanks to RYR they offer employment to 6500 people in Belgium...
Which is CRL and BRU combined, so they will probably not be far off.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

crew1990 wrote:I remember that our coach said that one 738-800 of Ryanair is 20 cabin crew and 10 pilots.
Which sounds correct as crew index for Medium haul.

Based on what you currently see at BRU, you can count on another airport job per airline job.

All the off airport jobs which they like to refer to based on passenger numbers are very questionable to start with, as they depend far more on the kind of passengers, than on their numbers really.

The Belgian National Bank did an analysis of the wider economic impact of Ryanair on the Belgian economy and found it to be disappointly low and definitely much lower than what they estimate it to be themselves, exactly due to the nature of their passengers.

I'd take an independently conducted economic impact study by the National Bank over just a general rule taken from a report by an industry lobbying agency, but to each his own beliefs of course. :)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Maybe it's indeed a stange choice of words by me, but what I mean is:
where they come from
where they go to
why the travel
how much then expect to spend during their time away
Nothing to do with what you make it sound like....

Anyway, if you really care, I invite you to continue discussing in the Dutch/French part of this forum: since you are working for Belgium's biggest airline at once of their Belgian bases, I suppose you are at least as fluent in 2 of our 3 national languages as I am in yours and we can avoid any misunderstandings then, okay? :D

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

tolipanebas wrote: Anyway, if you really care, I invite you to continue discussing in the Dutch/French part of this forum: since you are working for Belgium's biggest airline at once of their Belgian bases, I suppose you are at least as fluent in 2 of our 3 national languages as I am in yours and we can avoid any misunderstandings then, okay? :D
In this case I invite you to send to each other some private message. As far as I know, the french/dutch topic are done for the one who doesn t speak english, and obviously you both speak english. And some other member wich are not belgian or doesn t feel confident enough in french or dutch could be interested as well in this topic.

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

I'm sure the impact of FR on the economy at other ports is bigger than at CRL.
Hell, who wants to take a nice holiday in Charleroi, or even Brussels?
While on the other hand, a lot of Belgian are flying (and spending money) to Spain, Italy...

As for the 'nature' of passengers, I don't think transiting pax flying 'classic' airlines bring much more value to the belgian economy than FR pax... (except if that 'classic' airline pays a lot of profit taxes in Belgium)