flying a "Belgian pattern" ?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

veldmuis

flying a "Belgian pattern" ?

Post by veldmuis »

Dear Pilots among you,

Recently, I watched PilotsEyeTV's DVD about LH's chief pilot flying the A380:
http://pilotseye.tv/route/a380-san-fran ... rgen-raps/

On his retirement party, he was praised by other pilots for his aviation skills - for which "performing a Belgian pattern" was given as an example (so that must be something challenging?).

Being Belgian myself, I wonder what this would be? Anyone knows?
Flown (as a pax): 282 flights, 112 airports, 56 airliner (sub)types, 52 airlines, 464300 km (status 2017) - see: http://openflights.org/user/veldege

sean1982

Re: flying a "Belgian pattern" ?

Post by sean1982 »

Belgian pilots are often seen (and also see themselves, unfortunatly) as being the better pilots in the world. In training high emphasis is being put on manual flight, raw data flying and visual approaches. In other countries this is often frowned upon as it increases risk by adding to the mental load in in the flightdeck, but in general it seems to be good practice. In FR cadets are fighting for a training place in CRL ;)

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

Hi,

Just for your information, Ryanair does not use Charleroi for base training and it doesn't matter whether you get a Belgian instructor or a Irish one, they both have to apply the same SOP's from Ryanair. On another side note you do not get to choose your base training location, they will tell you were it is.
Last edited by Malaysia on 03 Feb 2014, 14:11, edited 2 times in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Just for your info, I'm talking about line training and FR SOP allows any degree of automation to be used depending on the circumstances of the flight. This means from a full autoland to full manual visual circuit

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

Yes, if that's part of every base training what does that have to do with a Belgian Pattern? This is default. From the phrase you wrote I can only make up that you are praising the fact on something that doesn't even exist because base training is never done in Charleroi?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Who said I was talking about base training? I was talking about line training? And who says it's not allowed to fly a visual circuit during a normal day on the line if conditions permit?

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

Who said that I said that it wasn't allowed?
Are fighting for a training place in CRL
Alright, if you are talking about line training what's the difference between having it in Weeze or CRL if you have an Irish instructor? He isn't going to switch all the FD's off and let you do it visually only because you are doing your line training from CRL and not from Weeze?

I am sorry if I am offending you but your first post didn't make any sense.

You are an extreme good pilot in my eyes when you can land an CAT C airplane in Paro,
Last edited by Malaysia on 03 Feb 2014, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

cnc

Post by cnc »

we can thank the old sabena flight academy for this ;)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Malaysia wrote:Who said that I said that it wasn't allowed?
Are fighting for a training place in CRL
Alright, if you are talking about line training what's the difference between having it in Weeze or CRL if you have an Irish instructor? He isn't going to switch all the FD's off and let you do it visually only because you are doing your line training from CRL and not from Weeze?

I am sorry if I am offending you but your first post didn't make any sense.

You are an extreme good pilot in my eyes when you can land an CAT C airplane in Paro,
Most line trainers in CRL are Belgian and ex-Sabena, SN or JAF .... and they do switch off all automation and FD's at 10.000 ft and let the trainee fly manually (if conditions permit)

teach

Post by teach »

So, anyone who knows what a Belgian pattern is, or are we going to yack about FR again?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

It's a tight visual pattern completely manually flown raw data ... that's my guess ... I don't think there is a "real" definition for it ... That's how they fly it at JAF anyway ;)