BRU - new "Connector"

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

capetown

BRU - new "Connector"

Post by capetown »

Hi all,

this video has just been uploaded on youtube (and on Brussels Airport's Facebook page), giving an impression of what the "Connector" between Pier A and B will look like. Not sure why they use the old LH livery though on one of the planes featured in the video :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQTbgvKJ ... e=youtu.be

Has this design finally been approved ? What's the timing for this project to be completed ?

Cheerz,
Capetown

airbuske

Re: BRU - new "Connector"

Post by airbuske »

This new building should be operational by 2014.
Best regards,

Airbuske

capetown

Post by capetown »

Thank you Airbuske... I kind of like the design.
Although I will check myself when I board my QR flight next week : have the works started yet ?

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

capetown wrote: Not sure why they use the old LH livery though on one of the planes featured in the video :roll:
Well, this has probably the same origin as the Jet Fuel bowser and the elevated runway edge lights between A & B Piers...
:?

H.A.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

The few interior shots seem to reveal no travelators which suggests one will be walking the whole distance rather than being taken from B to A. Might feel like Ikea on a Saturday afternoon and without the shortcuts.

danieln

Post by danieln »

Sorry if this is a very stupid question, but why do we need a connector if there is already a wide passenger tunnel between the two piers?

b-west

Post by b-west »

So many 747's... wishful thinking ;) Would've loved to see a few more interior shots though...

capetown

Post by capetown »

danieln wrote:Sorry if this is a very stupid question, but why do we need a connector if there is already a wide passenger tunnel between the two piers?
One of the main criticisms (and one of the only ones I consider justified) when it comes to BRU airport is the rather lengthy walk (including going several levels underground) to get to the Schengen (A) pier. The new "Connector" should make this a smoother experience...

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

It also provides more retail space, something I assume can't be located in the tunnel at the moment.

Rgds,
Speedy

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Am I the only one who thinks this design is just... Wel... Ugly? I really can't say I like it.
There were some other designs, also posted here, I thought were much more pleasing to the eye.
Of course, that's without knowing the actual cost of all those designs...
Thomas

b-west

Post by b-west »

I wouldn't call it ugly, but it is indeed quite a bland design and not really an eye catcher.

As I understand it, security and border control will both be located in the connector. Pax will go through security first, those leaving to a Schengen destination will then continue towards the A terminal, while the pax flying out of Schengen will have to pass border control and will then be lead to the B terminal. Which means the present border control at the entrance of the B terminal will disappear. I assume passengers will now enter the B terminal via the old transfer corridor. I wonder what this will mean for the stores that are currently right next to the border control, like Desigual and that shoe store. Pax will no longer have to pass by them to reach the gates, which will no doubt have an impact on their sales

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

... not that bad!

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

I actually don't like the design at all it looks to me like a kind of factory. However we will have more place in the airport for some shops, and will make the way for the pax to their aicraft more pleasant, mostly for the clostrophobic!

SkyJet

Post by SkyJet »

Hilarious: Brussels Airlines 747-100 with (new) c/s and cheatline!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhhmrpsc ... dded#t=44s

EBBU

Post by EBBU »

This new connector might make the walk to the schengen Gates more enjoyable and it provides more retail space but it's detrimental to airport capacity. It limits flexibility on the ground severely. All planes from GAT and the former DHL stands only have one way to the holding point for 25R, via J/R1 and outer or inner taxiways. The inner can be blocked by a/c pushing from the north Side of the A pier and the outer is blocked in low visibility by the need to protect the sensitive area of 25R.
I guess Brussels airport is not planning on more flights in the future, just more retail revenue...

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I saw this for the first time and can't help but ask:
"why didn't they put 6 gates here, divided over both sides, so that terminal T could be extended into terminal A and A extended onto this connector?

The luggage triage under the main building is just around the corner there, and by doing this, they could have shortened the long walk to a lot of people. Surely, the only aim was to add retail space, but they could have done something similar to airports in the U.S., where people walk around the terminal during their waiting time, looking for a souvenir or something nice to buy.

The empty space between this connector and the first gates on A and B will be a huge waste of tarmac space.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

EBBU wrote: I guess Brussels airport is not planning on more flights in the future, just more retail revenue...
Which is something stupid because no retailer in their right mind would pay high rent prices for a shop in the airport. Outside the airport, there is a record amount of empty retail space available and with the development of e-commerce, it doesn't look better for the future.

cnc

Post by cnc »

Flanker2 wrote: The empty space between this connector and the first gates on A and B will be a huge waste of tarmac space.
a good place to store all handling equipment

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

EBBU wrote:I guess Brussels airport is not planning on more flights in the future, just more retail revenue...
May I remind you that BRU will start around 2015 with the extension of Pier A in West direction. Number of gates will grow between 12 and 20 gates, depends long haul or short haul.

Sorry to say but Retail is an important income of an airport, you like it or not. When it is not there, they people will complain that there are no facilities.
Income out of Retail is also a benefit for the airport. Money can be invested in other projects.

Sorry but the time that you have only income only out of aviation related business is long time ago and not of this time.

Retail is doing very well at BRU and this due to the fact that they only want good brands on the airport and that's why it will never look like a mall.

Think further, when Jet Airways will leave the airport, then you lose your aviation related landing rights of that airline, parking fees etc etc. You need more income then that alone.

Airbusvsboeing

Post by Airbusvsboeing »

Income from retail is indeed really important, I cannot imagine that closing a taxiway is that detrimental, you still have 2 taxiways at the other side of the Pier, what is/can be the impact...
Maybe EBBU can answer ?