Norwegian Air Shuttle in 2012-2015

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: Norwegian Air Shuttle

Post by sean1982 »

A third dreamliner EI-LNC is to arrive within a couple of weeks.
A little bird told me they will start flying long haul from LGW base as well :)
Load factors are high ranging between 90-100% on all flights (Norwegian long haul)! Go Norwegian! :)
Last edited by sean1982 on 17 Oct 2013, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Ryanair is flying from crl to the same airport that Norwegian is operating from?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Some of them yes, mainly in Spain. In the north Norwegian has a far larger presence than FR mainly at the main airports, but they have a very extensive network in the region.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote:A little bird told me they will start flying long haul from LGW base as well
Norwegian to Launch London Gatwick Long-Haul Service in Summer 2014

Norwegian in Summer 2014 season is to launch long-haul service from London Gatwick, with service to Ft. Lauderdale, Los Angeles and New York JFK. Operational schedule is now appearing in the GDS under Flight Information (FLIFO) section although it’s being remarked as “ENTIRE FLT- H/ SEGMENT NOT TO BE DISPLAYED”. This remark will be displayed until the airline officially opens reservation, as early as Thursday morning (17OCT13).

eff 02JUL14 London Gatwick – Los Angeles 2 weekly

Code: Select all

DY7095 LGW1345 – 1705LAX 787 7
DY7095 LGW1535 – 1855LAX 787 3

DY7095 LAX1905 – 1335+1LGW 787 7
DY7096 LAX2030 – 1500+1LGW 787 3
In addition, Norwegian to launch LGW - New York JFK 03JUL14, LGW - Ft. Lauderdale 04JUL14

Source: Airline Route
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Norwegian Opens New Base in Madrid from June 2014

Norwegian is introducing a new base in Madrid from June 20147, with the launch of 6 new routes:

eff 02JUN14 Madrid – London Gatwick 1 daily
eff 03JUN14 Madrid – Oslo 3 weekly
eff 03JUN14 Madrid – Warsaw 2 weekly
eff 04JUN14 Madrid – Hamburg 4 weekly
eff 04JUN14 Madrid – Helsinki 3 weekly
eff 04JUN14 Madrid – Stockholm 4 weekly

Source: Airline Route (http://airlineroute.net/2013/11/11/dy-mad-jun14/ where the detailed schedules are displayed).

Competition for Vueling? Not really, since Vueling is conspicuously absent from Madrid so as not to harm the lucrative routes of Iberia. Hence, it is rather competition for Iberia and the other legacy carriers operating these routes!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sn26567 wrote:it is rather competition for Iberia and the other legacy carriers operating these routes!
Given the schedule I'd say this is not so much competition for the legacy carriers, but predominantly for Ryanair, which -if I am correct- has a base at Madrid too, although I don't know if the destinations and frequencies are the same?

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Inquirer wrote:Given the schedule I'd say this is not so much competition for the legacy carriers, but predominantly for Ryanair, which -if I am correct- has a base at Madrid too, although I don't know if the destinations and frequencies are the same?
Direct competition with FR will be for Oslo (RYG) and London (STN), other destinations are different.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airtrainer wrote:Direct competition with FR will be for Oslo (RYG) and London (STN), other destinations are different.
Norwegian will fly from MAD to OSL, not RYG. ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

sn26567 wrote:
airtrainer wrote:Direct competition with FR will be for Oslo (RYG) and London (STN), other destinations are different.
Norwegian will fly from MAD to OSL, not RYG. ;)
That´s why I wrote Oslo (RYG) :mrgreen:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Norwegian will open a Barcelona base in April 2014, with 3 B737-800s, and in the future it will launch long-haul flights from Barcelona! This is the same scheme as in Gatwick, from where Norwegian will fly long-haul to JFK, LAX and FLL.

http://www.journal-aviation.com/actuali ... ls-long-co
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Will Norwegian be allowed to fly the London Gatwick-New York route?

As a non-EU country, Norway has certain air traffic rights for flights between European States. Bilateral agreements to other countries have to be negotiated separately and that is why the airline flies from Oslo to Bangkok, Dubai, Ft Lauderdale, New York and Tel Aviv, rather than from the larger city of Stockholm, in EU Sweden.

In order to get over this problem the airline has applied for registration in Ireland, where it has no flights. The Irish Aviation Authority rejected any suggestion it was not capable of oversight.

Airline unions and pilot groups are now requesting European and US authorities to deny the carrier’s request, accusing the budget operator of trying to avoid taxes and skirt employment laws. A Norwegian application to fly an ex-Dublin EU route cannot be ruled out in order to circumnavigate the rules.

More from BTN News
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:Will Norwegian be allowed to fly the London Gatwick-New York route?

As a non-EU country, Norway has certain air traffic rights for flights between European States. Bilateral agreements to other countries have to be negotiated separately and that is why the airline flies from Oslo to Bangkok, Dubai, Ft Lauderdale, New York and Tel Aviv, rather than from the larger city of Stockholm, in EU Sweden.

In order to get over this problem the airline has applied for registration in Ireland, where it has no flights. The Irish Aviation Authority rejected any suggestion it was not capable of oversight.

Airline unions and pilot groups are now requesting European and US authorities to deny the carrier’s request, accusing the budget operator of trying to avoid taxes and skirt employment laws. A Norwegian application to fly an ex-Dublin EU route cannot be ruled out in order to circumnavigate the rules.

More from BTN News

This site has it all wrong :roll: They also allready operate (or will shortly) from ARN and CPH to BKK, JFK, LAX, FLL and OAK.

Unions and pilotgroups can do whatever they want. Regulatory authorities can only deny the traffic rights if they think the airline is unsafe. As it is a european airline and complies with all european rules and regulations this is very unlikely to happen. They are also doing quite well on the long haul with an average load factor of 92%!!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

In a letter to the Department of Transportation, (Norwegian AS) said its planned trans-Atlantic service was “precisely the kind of pro-competitive, pro-consumer, pro-growth innovation that the department has long supported and that was envisioned by the framers of the Open Skies Agreement.”

Norwegian, the third-largest low-cost airline in Europe after Ryanair and EasyJet, carried more than 20 million passengers last year.

“Southwest and JetBlue established new standards of fares,” said Kjos (CEO). “That is exactly what will happen across the Atlantic. We just need to be incredibly efficient.”

Mr. Kjos now seeks to challenge the iron grip of the three global airline alliances — Star Alliance, SkyTeam and Oneworld — which he said accounted for 87 percent of flights across the Atlantic. (United, Delta and American each belong to a different group.)

“Obviously they want to keep competition out.” Mr. Kjos said. “Especially low-cost carriers.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/07/busin ... .html?_r=0

Yes, it's always the same desperate strategy : "no competition, keep the LCC out".
The HCC should recognize that they are on a losing wicket ...
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Norwegian has received the 1000th Boeing 737 NG with a Sky interior. This aircraft has received a special livery to commemorate the event.

viewtopic.php?p=293563#p293563
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Norwegian has been granted an Irish AOC for their company called Nowegian Air International (NAI). This company will host all of Norwegians B787's (of which are 14 expected now)

viewtopic.php?p=293639#p293639

Norwegian also reported it's 7th consecutive year of profit, this year of 437 million NOK (around 40 million EUR)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Norwegian saw an increase in february, flying 22% more passengers at 1.5 million over the same month last year. The airline's load factor increased by a single percentage point to 79.3%, despite strong capacity growth.
Norwegian chief executive Bjørn Kjos said: “Our offer to customers has increased significantly with more routes and frequencies. The load factor increases, even with a strong capacity growth, are something we’re very satisfied with. At the same time, there’s strong competition in the market and many affordable tickets available, which benefits the customers. We are prepared to meet the competition by introducing even more brand new aircraft to the fleet, expanding the route network and adding new destinations to the route map.
New aircraft with lower fuel burn is key to keeping costs down and continue to offer more low-fare tickets.”
Norwegian, which is planning transatlantic flights from Gatwick to the US this summer, took delivery of the first two of 15 Boeing 737-800s to be added to the fleet this year and plans to add four 787 Dreamliners to serve long haul routes.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/ ... egian.html
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Sean_DM

Post by Sean_DM »

Norwegian is battleing fiercly at the moment to secure it's transatlantic permit with the US department of transport. ALPA and ECA, together with the legacy airlines have requested the DoT to deny that permit so they can protect their cosy arrangments and deny any competition on these routes.

This week, Kjos said that if the permit gets denied, hè will simply buy an airline that allready has one.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 87838.html

Question is, which airline in europe with a transatlantic permit is he going to buy? Any ideas?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Well, excuse me, but "any competition" is a bit of an understatement, don't you think?

I can't think of a single market which is seeing such a fierce and open competition as the intercontinental air market from Europe, but what is a fact is that Norwegian wants to radically change the game, notably by importing 3rd world labour costs into a 1st world market.

As far as I have understood it, THAT is the main issue here, not that yet another European/American airline wants to serve transatlantic routes and wants to differentiate itself from the rest by charging for food and luggage???

Even if as a passenger I could benefit from it in the short term, I fully support a rejection of their permit if that is indeed their plan and allow me to say you'd better do so too, because let me turn this personal for once: next thing is YOU are out of a job too Sean, with some Pillipino girl coming over to work twice as much as you do, for just 20% of your salary... Wonder if you are still going to like the idea of even lower costs as much as you do now, then.

Don't get me wrong: I am not against Norwegian, nor against low cost competition in general as is has changed this market for the better for us consumers, but we must be careful not to overdo it either, because in the end it's a no brainer that every single European/American having a job today could easily be replaced by a much more cost efficient non-European or non-American and that such would allow for even lower cost fares than are possible today. The question is: do we have to allow everything in a quest for the lowest possible fares, or do we have to somehow set a limit and thus also halt the push for ever lower fares? The first is not exactly my ideal world as it opens the door to a situation in which a whole continent basically is put out of work because they don't want to work and live like billions of people do in Asia (and not really out of their free will, if I may say so).

A quote from their CEO to illustrate the mindset:
"If I was a politician, I wouldn’t give a shit about the (tens of thousand of) airline jobs. We’ve already exported all our industry to the far east. At least we have very good museums to show them, so now (Asians) will just have to come spend their money in our museums."
:?

Sean_DM

Post by Sean_DM »

Ehm that wasn't my question. And anyway the soup is never eaten as hot as it is served. I know the contract and conditions very well. Pilots are all European ( they also just started a recruitment drive for JFK base, so american nationals albeit with an EASA license) and pay conditions are in line with European conditions. Cabin crew is a mix of Asian, American and European as you can expect on long haul operations.

As for exporting jobs to Asia. I don't know if you follow the aviation job market, but Asian airlines are importing European crew (usually at conditions much better than even the big legacies in Europe) as they cannot even crew their own operations, let alone crew the whole world.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Norwegian is going to start flying shorthaul again with one of it's Dreamliners in order to speed up crew training. If anyone is interested i'll have a look to see on which routes.