Pilot's dream?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

regi

Re: Pilot's dream?

Post by regi »

Am I right this is a American concept?
Anyway, 137,000 € for half a rai is quite steep. Especially because you don't own the land. You just get a 30 year lease. ( according to Thai law, foreigners can not own land , but they can own the house on the land )
OK if you are afluent enough to fork out 6 M baht, and start to pay for a nice house accordingly. (construction in Thailand is cheaper than in Western Europe, so for 6-10 M baht you should be housed in a nice villa with swimming pool and private hangar for your airplane)

I am not critical about it. I will not start here nagging about poor-rich. We would be surprised how many steady jobs this project would provide if it gets fully completed. Besides of low skilled jobs (guards, cooks, cleaning) , also some higher skilled for the aircraft maintenance dept. and health care for the elder peoples.
( I roughly estimate at least 100 people on the premises alone !)

And...in case of a sudden emergency at Phuket airport, they have always a strip to put down a bigger bird, even it is in the mud.

For interested people, please inform youself beforehand about the pro's and con's of a landlease in Thailand.
E.g. what happens if the company who owns the land gets bust? ( happened to a friend in Pattaya, resulting he had to pay another X million baht )

Maybe an idea for...Ostend :)

Oh, just one remark: the pictures show a mix of sportplanes and even ULM. I wouldn't like to be the poor guy with the ULM entering the clubhouse. Silent looks, smiles, turned away faces :oops:

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

regi wrote: Oh, just one remark: the pictures show a mix of sportplanes and even ULM. I wouldn't like to be the poor guy with the ULM entering the clubhouse. Silent looks, smiles, turned away faces :oops:
Well, at least John Travolta does not have that problem: Image

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Couple of similar places in France too. "Vendee Air Park" should turn up one, and there's another at Biscarrosse airfield, very close to the famous hydroplane base.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 31 May 2011, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

jan_olieslagers

the poor guy with the ULM entering the clubhouse
You are little acquainted with world of aviators, it would seem. Even without posessing an ULM, I have never been frowned upon in any airfield clubhouse, at the contrary, "general aviators" are generally open-minded and welcoming. Of course there's the occasional big ego, these are everywhere but among recreational pilots thery are few and generally they find healing over time.

Not that I am sure there even IS a club-house at the location mentioned, it is a housing estate after all, not a flying club.

BTW do not forget that some ULM's today are more expensive AND more performing than the ubiquitous C-152.

regi

Post by regi »

andorra-airport wrote:
regi wrote: Oh, just one remark: the pictures show a mix of sportplanes and even ULM. I wouldn't like to be the poor guy with the ULM entering the clubhouse. Silent looks, smiles, turned away faces :oops:
Well, at least John Travolta does not have that problem: Image
Big doesn't mean more respect. The looks at the clubhouse could also mean " There he is again, that guy with his big loud and smooky B707." :) See the comment in this link:

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_nov2004/ ... _House.htm

Well yeah, there will always be complaints.

westwings

Post by westwings »

There is even one quite close to the Belgian border at Verchocq http://www.aero-delahaye.com
Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere

regi

Post by regi »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
the poor guy with the ULM entering the clubhouse
You are little acquainted with world of aviators, it would seem. Even without posessing an ULM, I have never been frowned upon in any airfield clubhouse, at the contrary, "general aviators" are generally open-minded and welcoming. Of course there's the occasional big ego, these are everywhere but among recreational pilots thery are few and generally they find healing over time.

Not that I am sure there even IS a club-house at the location mentioned, it is a housing estate after all, not a flying club.

BTW do not forget that some ULM's today are more expensive AND more performing than the ubiquitous C-152.
come on, I was joking.

jan_olieslagers

It certainly isn't a US-only idea, though it may have originated there. Here's one more example far from Uncle Sam:

http://www.zandspruit.co.za/

earthman

Post by earthman »

Question then, can you just fly your plane from abroad and land it at your holiday home, or do you need to land someplace first to go through customs? And I'm sorry if this questions seems incredibly naive to some of you (I'm sure it does - but remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people :mrgreen: ).

jan_olieslagers

Nothing stupid about that question. But the answer is as it must be: IF one needs to pass through customs (which is not always the case, Schengen is just one example) and IF there's none at your destination a/d, yes in that situation one would have to land at a customs a/d first.

A Belgian with a property in France could fly there directly. His UK neighbour might well have to call at Le Touquet or so, to clear customs, as I don't think many of these air parks will have local customs clearance available.

But mind you, the question doesn't even arise in big countries like the USA or Southern Africa.

earthman

Post by earthman »

My question was actually in re the original post, thus about the air park in Thailand, e.g. if some Lindbergh were to fly his ULM from Belgium to his holiday home in Thailand (stopping at Cape Town on the way).

Of course now that I read their FAQ I found there that "If you arrive from abroad, you need to first stop @ Phuket International Airport for custom & Immigration. We are 8DME on 140 Radial from VTSP." which makes this a RTFA.

regi

Post by regi »

earthman wrote:My question was actually in re the original post, thus about the air park in Thailand, e.g. if some Lindbergh were to fly his ULM from Belgium to his holiday home in Thailand (stopping at Cape Town on the way).
Sounds reasonable...
The trip to Cape Town seems to be feasable. But crossing the Indian ocean? Mauritius? OK.
But after Mauritius? Diego Garcia :roll:
Well, than you are stuck at Mauritius. I suppose it also a nice place to have such a house-with-hangar. :)

earthman

Post by earthman »

I suppose it will do ;)