SN TATL flights

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Bob_Marcotte

Re: SN TATL flights

Post by Bob_Marcotte »

Stij wrote:Might I add that even for Y pax going on city trip to the big apple, an evening flight is more convenient as
well, how unlogical this may appear.

Morning flight scenario:

One departs at 11:00, so you have to take a day of holiday the day you depart. You arrive in NY at 13:00 and let's say you're in Manhattan at 15:00, if all goes well, you check-in in your room (if it's ready because in NY, that's not guaranteed and you're on the streets at 16:00. Basically the day's finished, in the evening you feel to tired to go for a drink etc. You go to sleep at 21:00 and you wake up at 4:00 because of the jetlag

Ummm no: as soon as my room is ready I will:

- unload my bags
- go for a walk
- find a place for dinner (even if it means sbarro or something like that...)
- go back to the hotel, fire up the laptop in the lobby (internet / mails)
- watch some tv
- go to sleep, wake up at 7h30 feeling refreshed and ready to go

Don't know why but I've never had jetlag going to or coming from NYC.

We fly back! The bird departs at 19:00, so you have to be in the airport at 17:00, so you depart from Manhattan at 15:00 because of the traffic jams at rush hour. You arrive at 8:00 in the morning, head straight for the office where you "claim" to be working, but in fact, you're suffering from a gigantic jet lag.

I guess I'm lucky I never have to go straight to the office :-)

One departs at 19:30, so arriving at 17:30 is OK, so you can still work the complete working day, no holiday has to be taken. You arrive at 21:30, at 22:30 you're in your taxi and at 23:30 you're in your hotel. You drink a Jack Daniels in the bar and of to bed you go. In the morning, you're brigth and shine.

- Your flight is delayed 2,5 hours due to technical, weather, whatever. Following your example we are now looking at an arrival time in our hotel room of 02 am... Shudder :-(

- Unlikely but it does happen... Your flight has been cancelled. Let's see how we can rebook you mr Stij? Yep, we can accommodate you on our first flight tomorrow morning. Sorry, nothing else available. Not even with a connecting flight? No, sorry sir... :mrgreen:

The return. You flight departs at 23:30, so if you're in the airport at 21:30, you're fine, so you can leave from Manhattan at 20:30, after rush-hour! You still have a complete day in NY. You arrive the next day beginning of the afternoon, but you can go home , relax and you bright and shine into the office the next day.

- Don't forget the good people at the hotel will kindly remind you to vacate your room by 11 am or noon. Sure they can store your bags for a while but "we will have to charge you something"... What else are you going to do for the rest of the day now that your bags are packed and you are ready to go. Maybe it's just me but as soon as I have packed my bags I'm ready to go home..

Conclusion: same number of holidays, same time in NY, but less jetlag, more relaxed travelling.

Conclusion: different people, different preferences I guess, maybe we should have a poll :P

Cheers,

Stij

P.S. Pleaeaease. give me back my evening flight!!!
Regards,

Bob

Stij

Post by Stij »

Bob, sure, different people, different preferences! So we should have both flights!

But I was never charged to store the bags, OK, apart from the obligatory tip. The delay doesn't bother me a bit, if the bl**dy thing is cancelled, agreed, that's a major disadvantage.

Cheers,

Stij

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Of course, different people, different preferences!
But for all those people who wants morning flights there is already: AA, DL, 2x9W and CO to NYC. If SN wants to brake into the NYC market they should do it with an evening flight. After the collapse of Sabena, many people are really missing an evening flight to NYC. An evening flight to JFK would mean much higher yields and higher load factors for SN than on a morning flight.
First, I was a bit pessimistic about an A333 to JFK, but after some research an evening flight with an A333 could work very good for SN. It will be much easier for SN to operate a succesfull evening flight to JFK than a morning flight. And such an evening flight to the US could attract many pax on SN's European network during the afternoon/early evening.

SN1203

Post by SN1203 »

MR_Boeing wrote:First, I was a bit pessimistic about an A333 to JFK, but after some research an evening flight with an A333 could work very good for SN.
Could you please share your research with us? Think it could be interesting for all of us!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

SN1203 wrote:
MR_Boeing wrote:First, I was a bit pessimistic about an A333 to JFK, but after some research an evening flight with an A333 could work very good for SN.
Could you please share your research with us? Think it could be interesting for all of us!
No, I'm not going to share my "research", because many of it are "private documents". I think it's already clear that there is enough demand for an evening fligth to NYC and that many business people would be happy with it (just like in Sabena's time).

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

Hi everybody, I am new here. In regards to load factors on the late JFK-BRU, as a former travel agent in Miami, I have sold quite a bit of tickets on that flight. My impression was, that the flight was doing very well but with very low yeld. Consolidator and wholesaler were very often given that particular flight by SN in order " to fill it up". The seat map showed, as somebody mentioned, a first class section practically empty and very few pax in business. As for the 747 it did pretty well but remember it was a combi ( not sure if it was a combi everyday of the week though). This was a very lucrative flight for SN because it carried mainly ... racing horses. SN was practically alone on the market and had developed some kind of exclusivity on flights to Europe.

regi

Post by regi »

azingrew wrote:Hi everybody, I am new here. In regards to load factors on the late JFK-BRU, as a former travel agent in Miami, I have sold quite a bit of tickets on that flight. My impression was, that the flight was doing very well but with very low yeld. Consolidator and wholesaler were very often given that particular flight by SN in order " to fill it up". The seat map showed, as somebody mentioned, a first class section practically empty and very few pax in business. As for the 747 it did pretty well but remember it was a combi ( not sure if it was a combi everyday of the week though). This was a very lucrative flight for SN because it carried mainly ... racing horses. SN was practically alone on the market and had developed some kind of exclusivity on flights to Europe.
That is what I call an interesting and detailed reply. Thank you.
A lot of information is not on Wikipedia. So we assume it doesn't exist.

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

Just for my own benefit, what does TATL stand for ?
Thanks.
JC

cnc

Post by cnc »

TransAtlantic

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

Thanks CNC ;)