Antwerp airport

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Shanti

Antwerp airport

Post by Shanti »

Why is cityjet the only airline company who flies from Antwerp?
I think it will be possible to start a (belgian) company from Antwerp
to some european destinations (fokker 50, dornier, saab aircraft).
VLM said (a few years ago) they were planning destinations
such as Barcelona, Paris, ....

SabenaForever

Re: ANTWERP AIRPORT

Post by SabenaForever »

Shanti wrote:Why is cityjet the only airline company who flies from Antwerp?

I think one of the main reasons is the runway, its to short to handle bigger aircraft like the Boeing 737 or the Airbus 320 Family.
A link to Paris will be good.... Or some seasonall links to morocco.

grts

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

Maybe some 'sabiennes' can start a small company (the pilots and cabin crew have enough experience),
just an idea....hope it's a good idea.
I don't think it's difficult to have a fokker 50/saab full of passengers to Nice, Barcelona, Paris,....
Fokker 50 is a good plane for the runway in Antwerp.

SN539

Post by SN539 »

Shanti wrote:Why is cityjet the only airline company who flies from Antwerp?
Anyway, who will pay to fly in a Fokker 50 or a Dornier to e.g.Nice or Barcelona when Brussels Airport is only 30 min drive from Antwerp, with a lot of good and cheap connections to many european cities ?

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Business people who want to check-in half an hour before departure?

b720

Post by b720 »

the same people who take F.50 to lCY on AF from ANT rather than the eurostar.. and MAN from ant rather than

from BRU.. I also think that services to Zurich, MUC, FRA on some cityliner of LH or Swiss will certainly work connecting pax from the ANT region + south NL to global destinations..

SN539

Post by SN539 »

b720 wrote:the same people who take F.50 to lCY on AF from ANT rather than the eurostar.. and MAN from ant rather than

from BRU.. I also think that services to Zurich, MUC, FRA on some cityliner of LH or Swiss will certainly work connecting pax from the ANT region + south NL to global destinations..
Didn't VLM try to launch a service to Frankfurt a few years ago ?

regi

Post by regi »

And the current investigation of the Belgian tax department into Swiss bank accounts of Antwerp diamant traders won't help either...

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

VLM had 3 daily flights to Geneva, maybe two flights?
Just an idea...i think many businessmen prefer to depart
from Antwerp airport (free parking, 15 min check-in time,
out the airport after arrival in 5 minutes etc etc)

Stij

Post by Stij »

If I'm not mistaken, even for a short GVA flight, the runway was to short to fly a full plane (F50).

One would really need STOL planes like RJ85, but that's maybe to big to start with...

Cheers,

Stij

Edit: F50 clarification
Last edited by Stij on 25 Aug 2010, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

Maybe they (investors of the new company) could buy an RJ85 aircraft of Brussels Airlines for a good price.
This means more comfort for the passengers, quicker and also a min. of crew on board. (2 pilots and
2 flight attendants)

Dreamliner

Post by Dreamliner »

I guess the incertitude about what is going to happen in the future with ANR is the major problem for company's. Before they want to invest in routes outbound Antwerp, they want to be certain the airport remains open Some actiongroups and the council of Borsbeek and Mortsel prefere the airport to be closed. I believe ANR can indeed be successful for business and harbour related destinations. Let's hope Flemish government will give soon clear signals about their plans with Antwerp Airport.

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

Antwerp Airways...i think i am dreaming but if you can offer some people a job in the aviation sector....
business men/tourists good flights....maybe it's a dream that can come true, fingers crossed and the RJ85
don't make much noise

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Stij wrote: One would really need STOL planes like RJ85, but that's maybe to big to start with...

Cheers,

Stij
You think an RJ85 can make it? Isn't this runway a bit short?

Problem is in case of an RTO, no? Without trust reversers you'll have a hard time to stop before ending on the ringroad.
I compare this with Bromma. ESSB has a declared ASDA of 1768 m and they always make use of every little bit of asphalt available by licking the pavement markings before making an aircraft carrier catapult TO.
EBAW is only 1510 m long.

Anybody any idea about this performance limitation on RJ85? How long a runway is needed for it?

Thks

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

Didymus wrote:Business people who want to check-in half an hour before departure?
Real business people fly "We Fly. You are the captain" ;)

Stij

Post by Stij »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:You think an RJ85 can make it? Isn't this runway a bit short?

Problem is in case of an RTO, no? Without trust reversers you'll have a hard time to stop before ending on the ringroad.
I compare this with Bromma. ESSB has a declared ASDA of 1768 m and they always make use of every little bit of asphalt available by licking the pavement markings before making an aircraft carrier catapult TO.
EBAW is only 1510 m long.

Anybody any idea about this performance limitation on RJ85? How long a runway is needed for it?

Thks
Well, I compare to LCY, according to wikipedia (OK, not the most reliable but still), ANR and LCY have about the same length of runway and from LCY they fly to LIN, ZRH...

Cheers,

Stij

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Right on spot Stij,

LCY runway is actually 3 meters shorter than EBAW at 1508 m(*) but its ASDA is even much shorter at 1319 m !

I never flew in or out of LCY but this must be an interesting experience.

(*) incidentally, the AIP for EGLC gives runway lenths in meters, not feet. Hadn't noticed this before .

Cheers.
H.A.

regi

Post by regi »

strange question:
during military maneuvers in 1988 with US personnel we had to pick up some people at Deurne.
Now a strange remark: at that time I didn't know anything about airplanes. But I was surprised to see this large jet at this local airport.
Look, I have no Alzheimer, neither am I drunk.
But...is it possible it was a ...
I hardly dear to mention it
a Starlifter? :shock:
Seriously: I clearly remember it was Deurne because I was stationed nearby. And I am sure it was a 4 engine jet plane of the UASF. We were not allowed to come closer or take pictures.

I have raised this matter some years ago but no answer. But I received in the same period a clear answer which large 1 engine prop war plane was stationed at the Brasschaat gras field . ( on pictures it looks small, but when you stand next to it, you realize that the pilot really has to climb into it )

Air Ella

Post by Air Ella »

There was a virgin express (B737) in Antwerp in september 2004. Also the Avro's from SN. So it's possible to have bigger planes than the F50.

See http://www.airliners.net/photo/Virgin-E ... 7fd8dc3ae8

grtz

willem

Post by willem »

It's no problem for planes like a 737 to come to antwerp, and go again , but rather on the empty side...
A short runway like that makes it very hard to have decent commercial operations with bigger jets. Unless you want to make a fuel stop somewhere...

If I remember well that virgin flight was to give disabled people a small tour around Flanders.