Car parking in Brussels airport (Zaventem)

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Car parking in Brussels airport (Zaventem)

Post by Inquirer »

sn26567 wrote:
Inquirer wrote:Upon arrival, I take a taxi, but I already noticed quite a few times not all taxi drivers want to take me, because the ride is just too short (and thus the pay not enough), especially if the queue of taxis is too long.
Get into the taxi, let the driver start and then tell him your destination!
Haha, good hint!
I will try it next time, although I fear for the reaction.

Somehow I can understand them: they stand in line for maybe an hour and then get to make 20 euro instead of the usual 45 to get to downtown Brussels, but I can't help it my office is so close by the airport, is it?

Well, in fact I can, because I was on the project which decided to move the HQ from centre of Brussels to a place near the airport given we travel so extensively, but okay, won't tell them that, or I'll have to walk all the way in the rain then! :mrgreen:

And no, that was NOT a hidden reference to the spartan boarding procedures used by some airlines in BRU, before anyone asks me. :oops:

Stij

Post by Stij »

Would an extension of the tram from NATO to the airport help the access to all the business parks?

Cheers,

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Well, it depends on its exact route and the stops between NATO and the airport, I guess?
Has anybody seen the exact plans yet, cos I know there's talk about it, but then talk is cheap of course.
Also, I don not want come across as snobbish -I have not the slightest problem with taking public transport- but not when it is crowded with 'hangjongeren' making the ride to the office with a smartphone, a laptop and an Ipad a bit like going for a swim in a river full of crocodiles, if you know what I mean?

Stij

Post by Stij »

About the tram to BRU:

There should be 2 or 3 stops between NATO and the Airport:
http://nieuw.delijn.be/nl/mobiliteitsvi ... rabantnet/
Brucargo and the rest of the North should get a connection as well!

Cheers,

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

thank you for the link, Stij.

What is a pitty is that the most important part of this new tramline is only very briefly touched and details remains very vague: the exact routing between say the NATO and the airport is as good as not elaborated: where will it run EXACTLY, which stops will it have EXACLTY, whereas they spend many paragraphs on describing the exact stops and routes of tramlines which in the end they conclude they will not develop (the one to the north East, e.g.).
We'll have to see in 2020 (and probably a long time after that knowing how these things go in Belgium): I may long be retired, by then! :D

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Stij wrote:About the tram to BRU:

There should be 2 or 3 stops between NATO and the Airport:
http://nieuw.delijn.be/nl/mobiliteitsvi ... rabantnet/
Brucargo and the rest of the North should get a connection as well!
Interesting indeed. But I wonder why De Lijn has to intervene in that project when STIB/MIVB already rides to NATO and only 2 or 3 more stops are needed to reach the airport. Belgian surrealism?

STIB/MIVB was able to create that new route between the Grande Ceinture and NATO in a few months. It should only take a few more months to extend the route to the airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

André,

I guess our Brussels friends can't construct on Flemish soil and vice versa.
It's already a miracle they corporate in this project so that Flemish trams can ride on Brussels tracks.
Laying tracks in the street is easier than adding a station to an airport I guess, so 2020 is quick IMHO.
They want to build a new station on the Northern side of the parking, but isn't the old railway station there anymore? That could be easier and quicker to develop...

Cheers,

Stij

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

You're right Stij.

I remember I used to take the tram 58 to Vilvoorde when I was working there, err... a few years back.
Cancelled and tracks removed by political will.

Could it be that I will see Flemish trams on Brussels tracks in my lifetime?
Or shall they organize this the same way the trains used to at the border between France and Spain? Passengers de-boarding at the end of one line and transferring onto another carriage for the continuation of their trek?
At least here the gauge of the track and the voltage are the same on both side of the beet curtain.
Well, so far :shh:

H.A.

Stij

Post by Stij »

And install a border control as well, with a nice Dewever picture on the wall! ;-)
Seriously, it's clearly written (somewhere) they'll use the MIVB/STIB track to Brussels North Station!

Cheers,

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:At least here the gauge of the track and the voltage are the same on both side of the beet curtain.
Well, so far :shh:
Not really: De Lijn uses the metric track (1.000 m), whereas STIB/MIVB has the same gauge as the railways, 1.445 m. But I hope that for its future Brussels tram De Lijn will also adopt the European railways gauge: the idea is that trams will be able to use the railroad tracks for local runs.

The reverse of tram 58 was also true: in my young years I was living in La(e)ken and used SNCV/NMVB (predecessor of De Lijn and TEC) tram W to go to Wemmel. Also dismantled...
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: Or shall they organize this the same way the trains used to at the border between France and Spain?
The gauges differ : 1,668m in Spain - 1,435 (normal gauge) in France.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

JOVAN

PARKING at BRU

Post by JOVAN »

A consequence of the increased number of passenger using BRU is that the different Parkings at BRU are regularly more than full.
Since several weeks I have noticed this problem.
You need to drive around at least 15 minutes more than before.

I always use P3.

Recently the signs at both P2 and P3 showed 'FULL'.

What are the plans of BRU for further extension. Eventually a remote Parking ?

b720

Re: PARKING at BRU

Post by b720 »

Or raise the price? :roll:

convair

Post by convair »

...or a shopping connector?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

JOVAN wrote:Eventually a remote Parking ?
There is already an official remote parking with free buses. And some private companies have also set up remote parkings, like Car Hotel.

But the intention of Brussels Airport management is clearly to encourage the use of public transportation.
André
ex Sabena #26567

b720

Post by b720 »

Again, I repeat.. They can make a deal with nmbs, de lijn, mivb.. Offering free r dscounted
Tickets from the arrival hall designated for pax arriving.. It will encourage people to take
Public transport.. GVA ha been offering free transport between the airport and The city.
Many many arriving pax use ths service.. But no, here they realise that nt enough people are using
The 'new' Antwerp - Brussels irport train link..they simply raise the prices!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

JOVAN wrote:A consequence of the increased number of passenger using BRU is that the different Parkings at BRU are regularly more than full.

I always use P3.

Recently the signs at both P2 and P3 showed 'FULL'.

What are the plans of BRU for further extension. Eventually a remote Parking ?
They are working on it and they are looking at several options.

Indeed. At this moment there is not enough parking space for the 21 million pax they will have this year. 12.000 places (If I'm not wrong) is not enough.

At this moment, in this stage of the plans, I can't say anything further because several parties are involved in that. But if it will get green light, then a huge parking will raise.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

To Moderator: there is allready a topic about this subject! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41947

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

A good and easy to develop area would be the tunnel boring site at Brucargo. It is a vast open space that begs to be developed.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

JOVAN wrote:A consequence of the increased number of passenger using BRU is that the different Parkings at BRU are regularly more than full.

I had the pleasure to experience this first hand last week when I couldn't be dropped off at the airport by a colleague like I normally ask for, because it was a school holiday and there was nobody at the office yet.
I literally almost decided to drive back to the HQ and cancel my day trip completely. :(

BRU is booming with ever new traffic from both new as well as existing customers and they are reaping the extra revenues from it, but this expansion shouldn't come at the expense of their old passengers, so I really hope they start expanding infrastructure soon, not just parking space, btw.

Same for its terminal: their pier A is lacking gates in the morning according my observations; any news on when they are finally going to start its much debated extension works? It's not the first time I sit on a plane waiting for a free gate for over 10 minutes in the morning, after which people with a connection need to run like crazy to still make their next flight. That's not exactly a good customer experience for an airport which wants to become a global STAR alliance hub, is it?

I understand the connection building was a much needed part as it centralises security screening (?), but I hope the rest follows quickly?