UA929 BRU-LHR - a few questions

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

chrisflyer

UA929 BRU-LHR - a few questions

Post by chrisflyer »

Dear all,

I am booked to fly on UA929 from BRU to LHR next Wednesday 4 February, and back on UA938 on Thursday 5 February.

A couple of questions in this respect:

- Are these flights always operated by a 777-200? Flightaware seems to indicate that it is a 757-200 sometimes. Would anyone be able to tell me the regos for these specific flights (UA929 on 4FEB and UA938 on 5FEB)?

- Given this is a US-registered aircraft, is there an extra security check which would require coming to the airport early? I find 06.15am to be early enough already.

- What are usually the loads on these legs?

- Is there any sort of inflight service?

Many thanks in advance - any insights would be much appreciated.

Happy landings,

Chris

Vinnie-Winnie

Re: UA929 BRU-LHR - a few questions

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

U get a small PTV with 12 channels, rude staff and you pay for your own alcohol but otherwise it is a fine airline! Just don't expect the moon :)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Tell us about the load factors on these 777s. If it is true UA introduced these flights only to keep slots at LHR, the LF should not be very high, especially with such an early departure from BRU and early arrival at LHR.
André
ex Sabena #26567

chrisflyer

Post by chrisflyer »

sn26567 wrote:If it is true UA introduced these flights only to keep slots at LHR, the LF should not be very high, especially with such an early departure from BRU and early arrival at LHR.Tell us about the load factors on these 777s. If it is true UA introduced these flights only to keep slots at LHR, the LF should not be very high, especially with such an early departure from BRU and early arrival at LHR.
André,

It is interesting to note that in the UAL.com seat selector tool, most of the cabin is actually blocked and seats can only be picked from a good 10 rows or so in the back of the A/C.

Christoph

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Chris,

I noticed the same thing last week when I did a trial booking to compare the prices. Rumour has it that you will be subjected to the US security procedures for this flight, I'm not 100% sure if it's correct but my source is credible, personally I'd call United in the UK or here and ask them. +32 2 713 36 00 or +44 845 8444 777 (sometime these 0845 no's don't work from Belguim)
If you speak with them please share what they have to say as the price is a great deal!

Cheers,
Ems

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

I read many times that UA crews are (very) rude, are they so unhappy with
their jobs?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

chrisflyer wrote: André,

It is interesting to note that in the UAL.com seat selector tool, most of the cabin is actually blocked and seats can only be picked from a good 10 rows or so in the back of the A/C.

Christoph
You'll have to be a United Airlines Elite member (Premier or above) to see the actual load. The front economy section is blocked for it's elites or those who pay extra (Economy Plus section). ;)

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Shanti wrote:I read many times that UA crews are (very) rude, are they so unhappy with
their jobs?
If flew 11 times with UA last year and I have to say otherwise...

1) BRU-IAD with B777-200 in Economy Plus: very nice crew, attentive
2) YUL-IAD with a E170 in Economy Plus: again very nice crew
3) IAD-BRU - 777-200 in Economy Plus: nice crew
4) BRU-IAD - 777-200 - business class: friendly crew, attentive, enjoying their work
5) IAD-LAS - A320 - Economy Plus: regular crew, not over friendly just normal...
6) LAS-IAD - A320 - Economy Plus: same as above
7) IAD-BRU - 777-200 - business class: extremely friendly crew, best yet...
8) BRU-IAD - 777-200 - Economy Plus: friendly crew, enjoying their work
9) IAD-IAH - A319 - First Class - friendly crew
10) IAH-IAD - A319 - First Class - regular crew, not to friendly but it was bearable
11) IAD-BRU - 777-200 - Business class - extremely friendly crew, especially one crew member, since I was a bit ill (cold and problems with my ear) they took very good care of me, very attentive, regulary checking that I was ok, etc...

I've flew with SN, BA, LH, KL, AC, etc... and I find UA's crew members one of the better in the industry... Yes, they are most of the time a bit older but they are very good in what they are doing. Makes up a lot for the dated product that UA has.

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

all I can say is that the loads vary between 15-75pax.
Sometimes they have lots of cargo.
The fact that you can only book seats in the rear might be for balance purposes, as (if there is no cgo) the a/c is very light (and might be out of balance).

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

American Crew and I'm generalizing here because I know that there are many exceptions are rude compared to European/Asian flight attendants because they are heavily unionized and seem to be older than average.

Also for some reason what I noticed is that they are wider than average, which brought me inconvenience although minor such as being bumped into whilst sitting on aisle seat.

Then again my internal flight was ok nice and cheerful experience! But will never forget that rude German flight attendant that would not even help in translating a german american custom form even though they had run out of the English version. She was impolite and rude, and when she found one she just threw it on me!

Bob_Marcotte

Post by Bob_Marcotte »

Load every time I have checked has been around 20 pax...

Don't know when exactly the flight closes for check-in (std -1 hour?) Anyone that does know?

Anyway, I'd show up well in advance if I were you !

Anyone know if UA will codeshare on the SN flight to LHR ?

Right now, you can't book anything on the UA website for september / october to San Francisco that includes a connection in LHR. It's either via IAD, ORD, FRA or MUC.

michaelnewport

Post by michaelnewport »

took the same flight today...about 40 pax...no queue at check-in....the only extra security was a couple of extra questions before you're allowed to check-in...arrived at gate with 2 hours to spare !!

only other flight at that time was Jetairfly to Egypt full of families wondering round aimlessly trying to get through x-ray with their bottles of water....and only 1 x-ray machine in use

cappuchino 2.90 eur
chocolade brood 1.70 eur

UA crew seemed happy and contented....surprising for such an early hour

soon as we sat on the plane they came round with tea / coffee / juice / water / speculoos

small electrical problem before take-off so pilot "rebooted" the plane (turned everything off then on) and we departed. No other passengers at T1 so passport and exit was a breeze ;-)

michaelnewport

Post by michaelnewport »

flight going back was a breeze....I had checked in online and printed a 3d barcode thing.....attempted to use the easy check-in, but could not work out what I was supposed to do with the 3d thing....so went to a check-in anyway...this was fine due to bugger all passengers at 11.30 in LHR T1

no new fangled scanners in operation just good old x-ray....

gate announced 12.10 ...... number 40 ....... 20 pax on flight, arrived on time....no one in brussels airport....perfect

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

This brings me to the same question again: Why a 777 for that flight? Just to keep precious slots at Heathrow?

By the way, was there a full set of flights attendants for that flight? That would mean an average of one F/A for 4 passengers! Service must be tremendous.
André
ex Sabena #26567

michaelnewport

Post by michaelnewport »

not sure how many a full set is...but there were probably 10

as for the service...it was slow....the only stewardess I remember that was serving drinks asked 2 people what they wanted and then fetched their drinks...this procedure was repeated until she had finished