spotting @ Warsaw WAW

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Bruspotter

spotting @ Warsaw WAW

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello everyone

Soon I'm about to leave to Warsaw for 4 months, for school.
Of course, except for my studies I'll have some free time as well.
A bit of that free time I'd like to go to Okecie airport couple of times.
Now I've never been there before so I'm wondering where you can stand (spots) how about the sun's position on those spots, what traffic to expect (schedules & airlines), how's regulation about spotting in Poland (spotter unfriendly, or do you have to have a sort of spotters ID like in Paris , ...) and a lot more.

So I was wondering if anyone has expierences with that and can direct me toworths some information source like for instance a forum maybe over there?

Thanks & regards, Yannick

regi

Re: spotting @ Warsaw WAW

Post by regi »

Good luck and happy hunting.

website-info

Post by website-info »

Yannick,

search on here,there used to be a guy who regularily posted pics from WAW. All I can say is today there is 50cm of snow on the ground, its -14 forecast -20 by weekend so pack warm clothes. I didn't even bother looking for photo ops today......

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I have been spotting in WAW last summer. I don't know the name of the place but there is a small hill at the beginning of one of the main runways in Okecie village, not far away from the end station of the tram. Very good view on incoming aircraft landing on that runway, with the sun behind for most of the day. I'll try to find out more information.
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

There's a page at www.scramble.nl but "members only". They usually have good info.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

From http://www.plane-mad.com/guides.php?guide=WAW
For spotters there are 11 good viewing points all easily reachable by public transport or by car (although taking a guide with you is advisable for the 1st time). There are lots of spotters in WAW and all are very friendly so just ask for any help and someone will do so. Each place offering a unique view depending on traffic direction and time of day.

The main runway for Departures is 29 or 15 while arrivals tend to be on 33 or 11. ALL LOT 767's depart from either 33(Never 29) or 15. Maps can be found at the following although in Polish:-
http://www.stan.home.pl/warspo/images/Zalacznik_1.jpg
http://airnews.pl/map.html
The place I was referring to in my previous message is the second one marked in red in the lower left corner of the map in the first link. Superb view on the whole airport, specially on runway 11/29, much better than the first one in that corner.

That spot is also marked 10 in the second link.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Ok thanks very much guys! Some very usefull links.

Regards, Yannick