Beautiful approaches

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Stij

Beautiful approaches

Post by Stij »

This morning I got inspiration for a new topic...

The most beautiful approaches in the world...

My contestant... Approaching VCE from the South West (even the stewardesses changed places this morning!)

;-)

Stijn

joyraider

Re: Beautiful approaches

Post by joyraider »

Perhaps a little unfair, but: approaching Tokyo Narita on a sunny Sunday morning in 2008, sitting in the 772 cockpit :) And afterwards during taxiing we passed by Singapore's first A380 which was docked there for some reason.. Good stuff!

Few weeks back I landed in Chek Lap Kok & expected it to be amazing, but didn't see sh*t due to fog. Bummer :(

Approaching JFK / Newark is always brilliant as well, especially before 9/11..

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

That final right turn at Kai Tak was always nice.

Marten

Post by Marten »

My favourites:

LPMA - Madeira (Lovely approach on the 05)
LOWI - Innsbruck (Straight through the mountains!)
ENTC - Tromsö (Beautiful approach through the mountains, covered with snow and surrounded with fjords!)

Marten

taz001

Post by taz001 »

One of my most beautifull approaches was on SBH (St Barthelémy) after a 15min flight from SXM (Sint Maarten). It is a very short runway which is just behind a hill.

Maho Bay

Post by Maho Bay »

I am very lucky to have some family living in St Maarten. Hence, approaching SXM airport is a wonderful experience for two obvious reasons. I've also spent many hours watching big birds approach SXM at Maho Bay, which explains my nick. ;)

Other approaches i've liked:

- Kota Kinabalu, Borneo, Malaysia
- Vilankulos, Mozambique with the beautiful archipelago nearby.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

OK, I'll give it my 2 cents...and it's really only 2 cents :wink:

My most beatuiful approach is EBAW...it's also the only approach I've ever done (except for a little EBDT in a glider). I'm still in training and have just finished the circuit training. You guys play in a different league off course, but to optimize my chances of winning the "most beautiful approach trophy" I would like to specify that I mean the left hand approach to runway 11, haha!

regi

Post by regi »

Mae Hong Song, northern Thailand.
You look almost in the living rooms of the houses on the hills.

SN539

Post by SN539 »

In my opinion, approaches to Nice are always beautifull, especially when Rwy 23 is in use with a final left turn at low altitude over "La Baie des Anges".

Geneva is also often nice when clear weather (especially in winter) allows the sight on the Alps Mountains and the Mont Blanc during the descent over the Geneva lake.

And finally ... the left turn hand circuit overhead the city of Brussels during EBBR approaches when Rwy 02 is in use are also amazing !!! ;)

Stij

Post by Stij »

Two other nice ones are LCY from the West and SAN form the East.

Cheers,

Stij

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

If you want realy nice "landings" I advise you flights along the coast of Norway (Widerøe) . Those small Norwegian airports are hidden gems in best of nature. I heard some good stories about landings into small airports in Iceland , but I have never done that.

fretn

Post by fretn »

Approaching Ostend by the Sea on a clear day and flying next to the beach en past al those coastal cities!
awesome views guaranteed

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello,

La Palma ( Canary Islands) for me it's more spectacular than Madeira but you can say that La Palma is a copy of Madeira or Madeira from La Palma.The approaches are spectacular ( for both side of the rwy).

Greetings,
Kristof
All my posted timings are local !

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

My favourite is Lugano, Switzerland. There seems to be a mountain higher then where you're flying everywhere you look...