Miles & More, new to the whole thing

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

fretn

Miles & More, new to the whole thing

Post by fretn »

Hi,

My name is Free, i'm still a student, but i travel alot.
So I thought it would be wise to enroll in the privilege program of Brussels Airlines.
Now this is a whole new world to me, and i have one big question about it,
I'm going to the states and i'm flying AA in october, since AA codeshares with Bru.Air. could it be possible to transfer these miles to my miles & more account, or is this impossible because of the takeover by LH?
thx for the advice in advance

Flanders

Re: Miles & More, new to the whole thing

Post by Flanders »

Hey Fretn,

Since you are flying a OneWorld airline, you will not get any miles in your Miles and More account. ;-)

If you fly AA/OW regulary, you can always sign up with one of their loyality programs.

Greetz,

Flanders.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

In my opinion, it is still possible to get Privilege miles on AA and transfer them to Miles & More on 31 October, when Privilege will be abolished.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

1-Enroll in Privilege
2-Before the end of July, fill the form to transfer your privilege miles to Miles&Mores. All the miles will be transferred at the end of October. 1 privilege mile = 1 Miles&More. If you do not register, you lose 50%
3-You have the option to enroll right away in Miles&Mores. You can communicate that Miles & Mores number when you fill the form in. If you don't have a number, Miles&Mores will give you one - I guess in November
4-On true SN flights (operated by SN), you have currently the option to chose between Privilege miles or Miles&More. Carefully check your class of booking as some of those classes will yield more miles with Miles&More than with Privilege
5-Before you issue the boarding pass on your American Airlines flight in October, be sure to give your privilege number. You will be able to accumulate miles on Privilege but not on Miles&More (since it is not a true SN Flights)
6-Enrolling on Miles&More gives you also the option to accumulate miles with car rentals, hotels, etc...which are not in Privilege program.

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

I thought Privilege enrollments have been stopped?

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

sdbelgium wrote:I thought Privilege enrollments have been stopped?
Indeed. It is impossible to enroll into Privilege.

The site guides you towards the Miles and More site, and the paper enrollment forms are now only from Miles and More.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

You are right - you can't enroll any longer but it says on the same Brussels Airlines web site that you can still accumulate miles on American Airlines ! Does not say that you had to enroll before a certain date...so I am quite curious to see the solution. Miles&More does not allow you to accumulate miles so the only solution might be to accept to enroll you in Privilege.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

If it is no longer possible to enroll in SN Priviele and if you have bought an AAticket, I suggest you enroll in AA's FQT program, AAdvantage. The validity of all miles accumulated on AAdvantage are extended by 18 months each time there is an activity on your account. The "activity" must not be a flight on AA. It can be a flight on any oneworld airline or any AAdvantage partner airliner, or a qualifying hotel stay or car rental.
So, if you travel a lot you should be able to keep your membership active and one day have enough miles for a free ticket.
For future travel, make sure you become a member of a least one airline's frequent flyer programm per alliance. AA is fine for oneworld. Although I don't like AF-KL, their FQT program, Flying Blue is not bad (here too, it is fairly easy to extend the validity of your miles). So, Flying Blue seems to me to be the best option for Skytem airlines.
For Star Alliance, the obvious choice would be Miles&More, but it might be worthwhile comparing with SAS Eurobonus or BMI's FQT program. In my opinion, Star Alliance is the best airlines alliance, but I'm not sure they have the most favorable frequent flyer programs.
It's also very personal. You have to go with the airlines which give you the feeling of getting the best value for money or the ones which you prefer, for reasons which may just be of your own.
Hope this was clear and helpful. Otherwise, feel free to ask for clarifications.
In favor of quality air travel.

fretn

Post by fretn »

Guess my miles won't be worth alot :D!
So i've requested a Miles & More card, start saving dem miles ;)
thx guys for the advice

(hoping that sn starts transatlantic flights within a year)

once sn is in star, who will they lose as partners?