787 Flight Tests

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

RC20

787 Flight Tests

Post by RC20 »

I think its time to start a new thread, as the 787 is very very close to flight.

I was a bit amazed to find out they were running food servcie and passenger related tests, when the critical thing is to fly the bird and get the big ticket items under way.

Obviously you have to do the rest as well, but none of those are show stoppers, and easily solved and dealt with.

Lets get at least 3 into the air and testing, and start worry about the nit pick stuff latter. If there is a major problem with the main systems, having the pax cabin all spiffy and ready to go doesn't mean anything.

I could not find the link that talked about the pax end, but the following one is interesting (though I have yet to find out how you do a GROUND vibration test an aircraft and stresses the wings unless its at high speed or flying).

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fligh ... e-787.html

PYX

Re: 787 Flight Tests

Post by PYX »

As I understand it they were running the tests 24/7 and during each "flight" the doors
were closed, so it makes sense, IMHO, that the staff was served meals at their work stations and the restrooms were available.
Can you imagine keeping the doors open so they could take a lunch break and make trips to a restroom in one of the hangers during each shift? :D

RC20

Post by RC20 »

Maybe a case of, you will finish the tests succesfully or we won't let you out!

RC20

Post by RC20 »

If Boeing had done a decent job on the program, this would have been caught early and take care of.

Now its a huge issue. Good explanation on it.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fligh ... ng-th.html

And they haven't even started flight tests yet. As I recall, some years back a football team screwed up, had a game won and them lost it. They coined the phrase snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Et tu Boeing.

And currently they have a huge issue developing with the 777 (of course that's all on paper that the A350 is better, but they do have a lot of orders for it).

Boeing needs to get rid of bean counters, sales people and get engineers back in charge ( firing Carson and hiring Mullaly back from Ford would be a good move and have him replace McNerney as CEO of Boeing!)

RC20

Post by RC20 »

The Dramlifter came through Anchorage Tuesday heading for Japan

I suspect it means a fix has been decided and implemented and the first production version is headed to the states. Stay tuned.

Of course they have to dig into the existing assemblies on the flight test aircraft and make the fix. I would think they would shunt the non assembled units to the side so that production can get moving again, and then do them latter. Maybe even moving them to Japan to do it there.

Total speculation of course. I think they have it all in hand but are not releasing any details until its a done deal.

NCB

Post by NCB »

To tell you the truth, there is no fix as of now, they have not yet determined the extent of the damage nor the extent of the area affected. After the area affected has been determined, the Japanese engineers will design a "fix" or fully redesign the section.

I suspect the shipment you're talking about is one of the unrelated sections or bundle, or a new test section to determine the weak area.

I do not expect this issue to be resolved anytime soon and will keep you updated if there is any major progress. The CFRP structure is a large issue, we have debated about it several times with you RC and PYX, and I hate to be wrong, but this was predictable.

PYX

Post by PYX »

You might want to note the date on this news article. It is a long piece so you can read the full story at the link provided.

"Preparations begin ahead of 787 wing fix installation, analysts weigh in on expectations
By Jon Ostrower on August 6, 2009 10:24 AM

"....Supplier sources say that the reinforcing parts required for ZA001 and ZY997 have been shipped to Everett. ZY997, which will be the first test aircraft to receive the fix, has been surrounded by scaffolding in preparation for the installation....

....The Section 11 half of the wing fix is expected to be incorporated at Global Aeronautica beginning with Airplane 15. The Section 12 side of the fix will continue to be completed in Everett because aspects of the modification require the wing box and center wing box to be in the wing to body join process, sources say...."

Full story here: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fligh ... ad-of.html

RC20

Post by RC20 »

The Dreamlifter has been through around 4 times in the last couple of weeks.

Something is definitely going on. I have not seen this level since they started to ramp up to production.

Each time back track of flight is from Charleston to Japan. Obviously its coming back, though I have not seen it, so you can double the sightings, and I can easily miss outgoing ones if its on my weekend.

I would speculate its wing box sections going back for modification and modified ones coming this way, and i the meantime they have to tear apart the two test aircraft to install the fix on them priority wise, then do the ones on the line.

RC20

Post by RC20 »

Tour of the Boeing factory this last week found that all three build positions are full of production aircraft. All three are for ANA.

The six test aircraft have been moved out and are scattered around the field.

One is out in the open, one is in a temporary structure, the rest...........

Its got to be an odd process, testing the fix for the initial production aircraft, then testing the manufacture article for the follow on aircraft.

There were two Dreamlifters at the filed, one was being pushed back and took off while were were there.

Modification is not the holdup, getting the new tests run on the fix is.