Seat pitch

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Air Key West

Seat pitch

Post by Air Key West »

Last week, I was on a b.air B737, seat 14D, not really at the back of the plane if you know the aircraft. I measured the seat pitch. I found 26 inches from the bottom of the back of my seat straight to the pouch of the seat in front of me (maybe 27 inches to the back of the seat in front without the pouch). Is this possible ? How is one supposed to measure the seat pitch ? Wasn't I doing it properly ? Or is the seat pitch on b.air's 737 only 26-27 inches ? I thought the industry average was 30 inches in economy class ? Would like to have your comments and suggestions.
In favor of quality air travel.

BigJets

Post by BigJets »

The seat pitch is the distance from any point on one seat to the exact same point on the seat in front or behind it.

As a reference, you can use the seat pitch measured from the beginning of the arm rest of your seat to the beginning of the arm rest of the seat in front of you.

The seat pitch is no longer an exact reference for more (or less) legroom as new design technology seats (because of their improved ergonomy) have the same "seat pitch" yet offer more legroom than "standard" seats. In other words, two airlines offering a seat pitch of , say, 31 inches does not mean they have the same legroom because one seat may be better designed than the other.

JetAirFly for example have this new technology in their newest 737-800. Same seat pitch but more legroom.

Hope this answers your question?

8)

TWA

Post by TWA »

SN would have a lot more satisfied customers if they would remove just 1 row in between the O/W rows and the back of the cabin. The lack of leg room in this part of the cabin on SN's B737's is actually the only major complaint which we hear every single day.

On the contrary legroom on the avro/146/A319/A330 fleet is very generous.

It's better to fly with full house but minus 6 seats which are most of the time never occupied, than flying half empty with narrow seat pitch.
Last edited by TWA on 01 Oct 2007, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

TWA wrote:SN would have a lot more satisfied customers if they would remove just 1 row in between the O/W rows and the back of the cabin. The lack of leg room in this part of the cabin on SN's B737's is actually the only major complaint which we here every single day.

On the contrary legroom on the avro/146/A319/A330 fleet is very generous.

It's better to fly with full house but minus 6 seats which are most of the time never occupied, than flying half empty with narrow seat pitch.
Yes, indeed. Same goes for the 'middle seat' -B- or -D- which is not sold in C class on some airlines. So you don't have to fight for the arm rest

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I agree with all three of you, and thanks very much for your reactions. One comment, however, on my part : if you keep the same seat pitch with modern technology seats, you may perhaps increase legroom if you stretch yours legs, not if you keep them at a square angle, and the distance btween your head and the seat in front on you doesn't change.
On b.air's 737 when I lowered the table in front of me, it nearly touched my stomach (and I'm slim = slank/mince). Wonder what it would do if the passenger is obese ? And if the passenger in front of me had reclined his seat, I would not even have been able to read a pocket book. Do you know if b.air's 737s have new techonology seats ? I doubt it. So, it's probably a 26-27 inches seat pitch. They are exagerating. Fortunately, my flight was short. Cannot imagine flying to ATH or LIS in such a sardine can. :cry:

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Air Key West wrote:I agree with all three of you, and thanks very much for your reactions. One comment, however, on my part : if you keep the same seat pitch with modern technology seats, you may perhaps increase legroom if you stretch yours legs, not if you keep them at a square angle, and the distance btween your head and the seat in front on you doesn't change.
On b.air's 737 when I lowered the table in front of me, it nearly touched my stomach (and I'm slim = slank/mince). Wonder what it would do if the passenger is obese ? And if the passenger in front of me had reclined his seat, I would not even have been able to read a pocket book. Do you know if b.air's 737s have new techonology seats ? I doubt it. So, it's probably a 26-27 inches seat pitch. They are exagerating. Fortunately, my flight was short. Cannot imagine flying to ATH or LIS in such a sardine can. :cry:
You will never stop, isn't it? This is not just a question about seat pitches, but your next anti-Brussels-Airlines post (I think we're at nr 970 meanwhile). Anyway: here's the answer for those who still have confidence in Brussels Airlines:

1) a seat pitch of 26", like you're saying you ("probably") had, is impossible. It will only suit schoolchildren under 1m30

2) Virgin Express had a seat pitch of 30"

3) unofficial figure for Brussels Airlines is 31". Repeat, because I guess you now want to start a discussion about 30" (VEX) or 31" (Brussels Airlines): unofficial, but based on Skytrax info:
http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seats_global.htm

earthman

Post by earthman »

Air Key West wrote:if you keep the same seat pitch with modern technology seats, you may perhaps increase legroom if you stretch yours legs, not if you keep them at a square angle
You're wrong about that though. The new seats actually do offer more legroom even if you keep your legs at a square angle. The seats are thinner, and some (like the ones Swiss has on their A320 fleet) have even moved the magazine pocket to the top of the seat, so you do actually have more space at knee height, not just if you stretch your legs. The problem is that the airlines use that increased space to cram in an extra row of seats, so the advantage goes to the airline not the passengers.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

To LX-LGX : next time you're on a b.air 737 and sitting in the second half of the plane, make sure you have a tape measure with you denominated in inches and check for yourself. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. (and btw, you probably did not read TWA's post).

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

Actually this is a valid point - some airlines have introduced Economy + where you get more space. United - for instance - offers an extra 5 inch in Economy + seating. The interesting part is that access is granted to United Elite members (Gold) or against a price premium. A pro active management would think in that direction. Platinum/Gold on Brussels Airlines should get free meal and extra space - in other words seating in b.flex automatically. Don't get me wrong, I still want my business class with the middle seat blocked, priority baggage handling, priority security and priority board, access to premium lounge as other airlines offer ! And of course a real meal (Foie Gras) and Champagne...and some Margaux.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

Air Key West wrote:To LX-LGX : next time you're on a b.air 737 and sitting in the second half of the plane, make sure you have a tape measure with you denominated in inches and check for yourself. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. (and btw, you probably did not read TWA's post).
Just to come in and try to clarify: @Air Key West: the procedure you mentioned to measure the seat pitch means you "forgot to include" the seat itself into the seat pitch! So it might be 26 or 27 between the two seats, still this is than a 30 or 31 seat pitch, as this figure (and it has been said already above) is from a given point at one seat to the same given point at the seat in front, meaning it includes the seat itself ...

And a general comment: B.Air wants to operate a LCC business model in b.light, so what to expect? In order to be competitive the seat pitch has to be like the ones or at least close to those at easyjet or Ryanair, etcetera :cry: And I think this is what it is like in the B737 aircraft.

If you want to fly in more comfort a three hours flight across Europe you can always book Business Class with LH or AF and you have quite a lot of room ... (you will just have to pay for it 8) )

By the way: There are not many places in the European sky as comfortable as in the (usual not more than 60% full) B.Air Avro's with their 5-abreast seat configuration and very often a free seat next to you. (not good for the balance sheet of B.Air, but wonderful for the pax :shock: )
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

earthman

Post by earthman »

Ducatibiker wrote:...I still want my business class with ... priority board,...
As an interesting side note, LOT suggests their business class passengers to board LAST, apparently to avoid 1) the business class passengers blocking the aisle, and 2) the business class passengers standing in line while the passengers who end up sitting in the back wait till someone in row 5 puts their bags in the overhead bins.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

Most airlines propose F/C/Gold/Platinum passengers to board before. Lot might be an exception as quite often I had to take a bus to the airplane.
I usually show them my *alliance card and can board whenever.
Last edited by Ducatibiker on 02 Oct 2007, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

@ Air Key West,

Why don't you send your complains to Brussels Airlines instead of starting multiple topics about Brussels Airlines? In this way you can complain for years on this forum about Brussels Airlines.

Brussels Airlines would be thankfull if you send your complains to them.

Just a thought.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

euroflyer wrote: And a general comment: B.Air wants to operate a LCC business model in b.light, so what to expect? In order to be competitive the seat pitch has to be like the ones or at least close to those at easyjet or Ryanair, etcetera :cry: And I think this is what it is like in the B737 aircraft.
There is nothing wrong with the Ryanair or easyJet seat pitch, at least for a passenger of average height. Giants should book elsewhere ...

codo

Post by codo »

Ducatibiker wrote:Most airlines propose F/C/Gold/Platinum passengers to board before. Lot might be an exception as quite often I had to take a plane to the airplane.
I usually show them my *alliance card and can board whenever.
It is indeed an extra advantage
But personally i think that many Gold/Platinum members don't bother about their priority boarding because they are still sitting in the lounge and stay over there as long as possible. (just thinking)

earthman

Post by earthman »

airazurxtror wrote:
euroflyer wrote: And a general comment: B.Air wants to operate a LCC business model in b.light, so what to expect? In order to be competitive the seat pitch has to be like the ones or at least close to those at easyjet or Ryanair, etcetera :cry: And I think this is what it is like in the B737 aircraft.
There is nothing wrong with the Ryanair or easyJet seat pitch, at least for a passenger of average height. Giants should book elsewhere ...
You don't have to be a giant to have too little legroom on many planes. I am 1.86m and I find quite a few airlines somewhat lacking in that respect.

regi

Post by regi »

We read regularly reports about the obesitas problem in the western world, specifically the USA, where the the people seem to grow in horizontal direction.
I am not slim. But recent encounters with american business people made me think : "hopefully you got a business class seat."

Question: is there another approach to seat pitch in the USA than in Europe ?
If not, how do they get them in the window seat? And what if the window seater wants to go to the toilet ?

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

To atlantis : I am also sending complaints to b.air. As many of us know, this has very little effect. You may get an answer six weeks later (usually full of mistakes in the French language, but that is another subject.
And if we are not allowed to start Topics on this forum on any subject related to the airline industry or a particular airline, then we can as well close down luchtzak.
And if you read my first post carefully (which apparently you did not do) you would have realized I just asked a question for information and a number of guests, unlike you, were kind enough to answer.
BTW there is an interesting web site on seat pitch which I have just discovered : www.uk-air.net/seatpitch.htm which inter alia says that UK regulation sets the minimum of 26 inches between seats. So, will 26 inches only suit schoolchildren under 1m30, LX-LGX ?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Why this offense?? I just offered you a proposal. Strange reaction, isn't it?

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

My apologies, atlantis, if I misunderstood the tone of your "proposal". Nevertheless, as I have already said, this is a discussion forum, not a place where you should only be allowed to post praise about b.air. If one believes LX-LGX, there must be over 900 anti b.air posts on this forum : does this not mean there is definitely something wrong with this airline (both from the staff and the passenger point of view). One problem being that b.air gives the impression they don't really want to listen to their passengers (I'm not the only one thinking that). But again : sorry if you meant well and I misinterpreted it.