Jet Airways rumours

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

K_R

Jet Airways rumours

Post by K_R »

I've heard some rumours about Jet Airways planning to finance the construction of a brand new, JA-only concourse at BRU, because they are planning at least 15 daily flights at Brussels.
They also would be planning to cease operations at LHR, in favor of Brussels and are looking to build an own hotel in the vicinity of the airport.

The new concourse would fill in the space left by the former 'Finger South', the planned low cost concourse would be fitted in the old C-pier, along with the satelite.

I heard that they are looking to (finally!) update the old terminalbuilding. I can confirm without any doubt that some 'backstage' services at BRU will move to the satelite.

Downside is that CO (again, these are rumours) is considering to cancel their daily flight to Newark because JA's concurrence would be to strong. This last rumour, I personally doubt, because JA's BRU capacity is way to low to replace an entire plane of CO (since the CO's have always been pretty full, at least the 764). But I do think, however, that they would consider to downgrade even more, from 764 tot 762 of even 752...

If these rumours are true, it seems that BRU finally has found a valuable replacement for late Sabena. Off course, it is not the Belgian flag carrier, but if they play it right, is could bring BRU back to its old glory in the days of Sabena.

Again, these are rumours I heard. I don't know if they are true, nor did I hear any confirmation by BRU. If it is allready mentioned in this forum, my appologies for the double post.

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

I don't think CO will cancel their flight, today's flight was full and the incoming flights from EWR have high loads. 9W's flight to EWR are mostly connecting pax from 9W's other incoming flights. (This is what I see when the pax are boarding, lot's of Indians (ya know Indiers..)).

Isnt the old C-Pier a protected monument or anything ..? Anyway it would be nice to see it all fixed up!

teach

Post by teach »

Downside is that CO (again, these are rumours) is considering to cancel their daily flight to Newark because JA's concurrence would be to strong.
Extremely doubtful. EWR-BRU is known to be one of CO's most profitable services.

Jacob330

Post by Jacob330 »

About the rumour of the new hotel, i heard the same today at work. So there must be something about it.

Let's hope that the rumour about the fast and huge expansion of Jet's operations in BRU is true. On the other hand, i'm wondering what will happen to Brussels Airlines? A take-over by 9W like rumoured and discussed in this forum before?

K_R

Post by K_R »

Outsync wrote: Isnt the old C-Pier a protected monument or anything ..? Anyway it would be nice to see it all fixed up!
As far as I am always told, only the satelite is a protected monument. I'm not sure, but I think even the bridges can't be broken down. Of course, this makes it ideal for low coast carriers, who don't use bridges anyway. About these bridges, I have walked true one recently. The last part of them, which connects to the planes, really gave me a Star Wars feeling ;)

The old terminalbuilding is not protected. The major problem is that this building is full of asbest and by that reason very expensive to renovate. The BAC will only commence on renovating it if they are certain they will profit of it, so adding a special JA-concourse and a low cost concourse will do the job, I guess.

The old terminalbuilding is, honestly, ugly and dirtiy, it gives me a Eastern Europe feeling.

K_R

Post by K_R »

teach wrote:
Downside is that CO (again, these are rumours) is considering to cancel their daily flight to Newark because JA's concurrence would be to strong.
Extremely doubtful. EWR-BRU is known to be one of CO's most profitable services.
Yes, you're right. I found a discussion on airliners.net where the BRU-EWR route is mentioned to be very profitable and somebody who seems to know a lot of things about the subject, stated that CO is considering a second daily BRU-EWR flight with a 752 the next summer season.

Today I heard that the number of pax boarding JA has rosen to app. 80 ppl., but it still is way to low to replace a CO-jet.

But if so few ppl board at BRU, why isn't JA just flying nonstop with a 777LR between BOM and EWR?

K_R

Post by K_R »

Jacob330 wrote:About the rumour of the new hotel, i heard the same today at work. So there must be something about it.

Let's hope that the rumour about the fast and huge expansion of Jet's operations in BRU is true. On the other hand, i'm wondering what will happen to Brussels Airlines? A take-over by 9W like rumoured and discussed in this forum before?
Well, BruAir feels comfortable as a regional airliner, with only a few African destinations.
So maybe they will work together tightly with 9W or even, something I heard as well, be taken over by the Indians.
But I doubt if Belgium will lose it's last standing non charter airline and the descendent of Sabena. Or maybe 9W will start a new, Belgium based airline with the same name, but flying under a Belgian registration, with connections to international 9W-flights? This is my own assumption, not a rumour or, let alone, a fact...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

As I posted before, in an other topic, Brussels Airport ambition was to have a strong home player. If they don't succeed, the home player, then BAC wanted to have a very strong foreign player. BAC find this one in Jet airways.

I doubt that CO will cease operations ex-BRU. There are only a few, between 50 and 90 pas who took a flight, with Jet airways, to EWR. This is only out of BRU. It would indeed a good plan of CO to start up a second daily flight to BRU, but that's also a rumour for some year. But it seems that next summer they will practice it. But first wait and see, aviation is one big moving thing, changes every day.

You also read in that same topic on A.net that DL maybe decrease its B763 flight ex-bru to NYC to a B752.

But about that new hotel. I thought that this third hotel was part of the airport village plans? Or is this a fourth hotel?

teach

Post by teach »

But if so few ppl board at BRU, why isn't JA just flying nonstop with a 777LR between BOM and EWR?
Because:

a) 9W doesn't have any 777LRs;
b) Not all the people going to EWR started in BOM. Some came from DEL, and switched planes at BRU, others probably were fed nto BRU by SN; that's the whole purpose of the BRU operation.

Atlantis

Re: Jet Airways rumours

Post by Atlantis »

K_R wrote: The new concourse would fill in the space left by the former 'Finger South', the planned low cost concourse would be fitted in the old C-pier, along with the satelite.

I heard that they are looking to (finally!) update the old terminalbuilding. I can confirm without any doubt that some 'backstage' services at BRU will move to the satelite.
About the place for the new terminal, speaking "if", is that place of the former south pier not too small? If we speak about 10 to 15 daily long haul planes, B777 and A330, then I think this is not the right place. The planes are way to big to park there. Don't forget that the south pier was very close to the terminal and the taxiways and the "street" for handling vehicles. How many gates were at the south pier, 8 to 9? The biggest aircraft who could park at the gate between the terminal and the pier was an A320 and the 737. No way that a B777 or A330 can park over there.

Why not using the former DHL buildings? With the partly move in 2008 you could create space. The left over has to move to the new Brucargo West site. This was foreseen in the whole project, all cargo activities at Brucargo.
Till today they still don't know what to do with those old buildings of DHL. Why don't build the new terminal over there, space enough.

About the old looking terminal. Don't worry, as I wrote in an other topic, the money is there to refurbish this whole building. I have seen a picture of it, and it is very nice and very modern.

teach

Post by teach »

About the place for the new terminal, speaking "if", is that place of the former south pier not too small? If we speak about 10 to 15 daily long haul planes, B777 and A330, then I think this is not the right place. The planes are way to big to park there. Don't forget that the south pier was very close to the terminal and the taxiways and the "street" for handling vehicles. How many gates were at the south pier, 8 to 9? The biggest aircraft who could park at the gate between the terminal and the pier was an A320 and the 737. No way that a B777 or A330 can park over there.
Nobody said the 'new' pier would be the same size as the old one. There's enough room to make this new pier about twice the size as the old one, without interfering with the taxiways. The old pier had seven gates, but given the space available, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to build a pier there for about ten widebodies.

I'm not sure the DHL site would really work: not all of their activities will move next year, and I very much doubt they would move the rest to Brucargo West: there simply isn't enough room there to park all the DHL planes. And isn't the site of the DHL building closest to the current terminal set aside for the future railway station?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

You are right teach, I was forgotten that between the taxiway and the south pier there was also a parking spot for several planes. Those were handled with stairs. In that way you have indeed space enough to build a longer pier then the old south pier.

The only thing they have to do is to move the way, for handling vehicles, around the pier, just like the B-pier, to have a connection with south and satellite.

But like member K_R said, its a rumour. But it could be a project for the near future. first one is a "new" pier for low costs carriers. Decission end of this year, construction time: 18 to 24 months, using that new pier: 2009.

TWA

Post by TWA »

I thought that the DHL building was supposed to make room for a new terminal 2 with a D-concourse almost all the way to Abelag

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

K_R wrote:
Jacob330 wrote:About the rumour of the new hotel, i heard the same today at work. So there must be something about it.

Well, BruAir feels comfortable as a regional airliner, with only a few African destinations.
So maybe they will work together tightly with 9W or even, something I heard as well, be taken over by the Indians.
But I doubt if Belgium will lose it's last standing non charter airline and the descendent of Sabena. Or maybe 9W will start a new, Belgium based airline with the same name, but flying under a Belgian registration, with connections to international 9W-flights? This is my own assumption, not a rumour or, let alone, a fact...
I see more a repetition of the end of Pan Am scenario - Delta buying the rights to fly specific routes and the customer base of high yield customer.
But...high yield customers are not any more in the radar of Brussels Airlines

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

If it is true 9W is considering having its own terminal at BRU, it means the airline has a vision for the future, unlike another airline.... However, in the meantime 9W should not worry too much about gate availability at Terminal B, since, as I already mentioned in another "Topic", flights from ten Eastern European countries will move from Terminal B to Terminal A by the end of the year or the beginning of next year, when these countries join the Schengen area. This should free enough gates (until 9W has its own terminal ?).
What puzzles me more, is why 9W pax in transit from India to North America (or back) have to go through security when in transit at BRU. Why have not arragements been made for transit pax to enter the main Terminal B building when disembarking (as is done in Terminal A). Anyone any idea ?
In favor of quality air travel.

K_R

Re: Jet Airways rumours

Post by K_R »

Atlantis wrote:
That's what I've heard about it. If they renovate the old terminalbuilding they could 'replace' the entry to the new concourse further away from the B-pier and thus creating more space at the apron between the B and the former finger.

There would be enough space to build a concourse as wide as the B-concourse, but of course alot shorter. If they spread their flights over the entire morning and an bit over the afternoon, their would just be enough space, but then again, the maneuvring area would be very tight for a widebody as big as a T7...
Why not using the former DHL buildings? With the partly move in 2008 you could create space. The left over has to move to the new Brucargo West site. This was foreseen in the whole project, all cargo activities at Brucargo.
Till today they still don't know what to do with those old buildings of DHL. Why don't build the new terminal over there, space enough.
The DHL building the closest to the terminal would be broken down to construct the new railwayconnection underneath the tarmac to Brucargo.

If I look at the '95 terminal it doesn't look finished. You have the white/grey panels covering the entire building, except the side adjacent to the DHL building, which is black. It seems like they have forceen a possible expansion to that side and it would not surprise me if they indeed will construct a new terminal, but to me, it would be a waste of space only to make it available for Jet Airways.
About the old looking terminal. Don't worry, as I wrote in an other topic, the money is there to refurbish this whole building. I have seen a picture of it, and it is very nice and very modern.
I knwo and I hope they won't wait to long, because right now it is just ugly and it looks very abondened.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

Air Key West wrote:If it is true 9W is considering having its own terminal at BRU, it means the airline has a vision for the future, unlike another airline.... However, in the meantime 9W should not worry too much about gate availability at Terminal B, since, as I already mentioned in another "Topic", flights from ten Eastern European countries will move from Terminal B to Terminal A by the end of the year or the beginning of next year, when these countries join the Schengen area. This should free enough gates (until 9W has its own terminal ?).
What puzzles me more, is why 9W pax in transit from India to North America (or back) have to go through security when in transit at BRU. Why have not arragements been made for transit pax to enter the main Terminal B building when disembarking (as is done in Terminal A). Anyone any idea ?
And duty free bought in New York or onboard is confiscated !
I know details, details...

K_R

Post by K_R »

TWA wrote:I thought that the DHL building was supposed to make room for a new terminal 2 with a D-concourse almost all the way to Abelag
As far as I know, the DHL building adjacent to the terminal and parking area has to be torn down to construct the new railway connection and expanding the station.

I think the airport is far from such a big expansion. Like said in this topic, there will be more space available at the B-concourse once the eastern European flights will move to the A-concourse (which can be extended, too).

The first they do is construct the concourse for low cost carriers and renovate the old terminalbuilding. Then maybe they will construct the JA-concourse and if the airport keeps expanding and the need for extra gates for widebodies would grow bigger, they could consider the plan you are talking about. And that's about it for expansing possibilities. ;)

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I think BIAC considered a possible extension of Terminal A if sabena has survived and had continued to expand. This probalby why Terminal A looks "unfinished" on one side. However, extending Terminal A and making that extentions available to 9W seems difficult to me in practice since Terminal A is the Schengen Terminal and 9W only has non Schengen flights (which operate from Terminal B).
In favor of quality air travel.

K_R

Post by K_R »

Air Key West wrote:I think BIAC considered a possible extension of Terminal A if sabena has survived and had continued to expand. This probalby why Terminal A looks "unfinished" on one side. However, extending Terminal A and making that extentions available to 9W seems difficult to me in practice since Terminal A is the Schengen Terminal and 9W only has non Schengen flights (which operate from Terminal B).
9W at the A-concourse is impossible. They gould expand it if shengentraffic keeps groïng. But the problem is that almost every gate, both A and B, are taken during night, especially in summer. But if you look at it in the afternoon, both concourses are pretty empty. So that a big expansion is not necesary for now.