BA worst in Europe for losing baggage.

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

BA worst in Europe for losing baggage.

Post by airazurxtror »

Read in the UK "Metro" yesterday :
British Airways lost more than one million bags last year. It means that, on a typical BA 747 flight, 12 passengers can expect to lose their luggage, or at least, not to find it at the end of their flight.
More than 5.600.000 bags were mishandled by the 24 members of the Association of European Airlines last year. In average, 15,7 bags per 1000 passengers (BA : 23 - against 17,7 in 2005). Other poor performers : Lufthansa and Air France. The best : Air Malta.
Fortunately, almost 90 per cent of the bags are returned within 48 hours, but some never get returned at all.
The chairwoman of the Air Transport Users council said : "When passengers hand over their suitcases at check-in, they should be able to expect to see them at the other end." Indeed !
(A sketch on the reverse page shows a BA check-in desk and the girl asking the passenger : "Did you pack anything you would like to see again ?")

sn26567

Re: BA worst in Europe for losing baggage.

Post by sn26567 »

airazurxtror wrote:Read in the UK "Metro" yesterday
Why not in Luchtzak yesterday?
https://www.aviation24.be/article13995.html
André
ex Sabena #26567

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

One word can sum the whole thing up "Heathow"

Emirates

chunk

Post by chunk »

Also....

The best is Air Malta? An airline with about 2 passengers a day - i would hope they wouldn;t lose many bags. Joking aside though....

If you look at the rankings...all the large carriers struggle in this rating. makes me wonder how things are calculated. I can understand Heathrow being an issue and BA have had nightmares recently but CDG is pretty grim too. Look up Lufthansa, KLM, Iberia. None do particularly well.

In other words, the larger you are the more prne to error you are.....economies of scale don;t always apply in reality.

summersso

Post by summersso »

But I seem to remember that Heathrow suffered two major incidents last year - one in June/July (was it a strike/terrorism related or something) and then the unusually heavy blanket fog which covered the airport for five days just before December which resulted in the cancelation of countless flights. Passengers were rerouted, bags went elsewhere or didn't move etc.

BA must account for over 50 percent of traffic at LHR and consequently it's no surprise it was so badly affected. Things should improve next March when T5 opens though! :)

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

I think you are right summerso about the possible cuases for the deterioriation...but if BA cant get it right when T5 nopens a lot of questions will be asked.

The disappinting thing about the survey is that it only covers 24 airlines...it would be intersting to see the statistics for thise who dont particiapte...BMI, Ryanair etc etc.

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

Emirates wrote:.......... "Heathow"
Not only the luggage but they lost the " r " too.
:twisted:

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

jumpjet wrote:
The disappinting thing about the survey is that it only covers 24 airlines...it would be intersting to see the statistics for thise who dont particiapte...BMI, Ryanair etc etc.
Ryanair is happy to give them :
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php ... -en-030407

regi

Post by regi »

Alitalia is not the leader in lost luggage because they destroy your luggage, without giving any compensation.
2 Delsey suitcases were broken, one had the lock been ripped through the plastic shell and being destroyed beyond repair.
The explanation was " Rome airport customs do sometimes these things"
Oh well, I understand, thank you...
It all depends on how you stipulate the statistics.
A lost bag can be found back again, even if it takes a long time. But a destroyed suitcase is another matter.

regi

Post by regi »

Quite often you read about realy lost luggage. So we must imagine that everywhere around the globe, there are locker rooms stuffed with lost luggage.
And every now and than they empty the rooms and give the content away to charity. That is what they say.
But now come the tricky questions:
1.how hard do they try to find the original owner?
There are name taggs at the in and outside, there are all sorts of leads in the clothing, toiletries, transport labels , just name it. You have the brand name, the colour, the size and looks. But the carrier knows the weight as well.
So if I loose my bag , the carrier knows already that they should look around the world for a 19kg bag e.g. But do they?
If you put all these parameters in a system, would that not give a much better succes rate?
I doubt if there is a real independant control and enforcing body for luggage. It is just the airline that decides.
2.stolen luggage:
We do also have the numerous cases where luggage is stolen by other passengers. It seems to happen often with long haul flights where there was a fuel stop and a cheap last section, where the thieve got on the plane with a useless bag. At the end destination, he knows that many passengers are tired and have a lot of luggage. I witnessed this once myself at CDG where somebody took anothers suitcase. But the owner saw it in time. "Oh sorry I took the wrong case".
I kept watching the thieve. She ( yep, a young woman ) hung around a bit, picked her lousy blue case ( different than the one she firstly picked) from the belt and disappeared. I could give my time to this because I had to wait 1 hour at Term1 to get my bags.
Johannesburg is said to be such a typical place as well.

summersso

Post by summersso »

As we're talking about baggage thought I'd share this link with you: http://www.airport-technology.com/features/feature561/ on T5's new baggage system - I saw a special report on BBC London news a week or so ago, in anticipation of the terminal opening next year.

kozmopolitenka

Post by kozmopolitenka »

regi wrote:Alitalia is not the leader in lost luggage because they destroy your luggage, without giving any compensation.
2 Delsey suitcases were broken, one had the lock been ripped through the plastic shell and being destroyed beyond repair.
The explanation was " Rome airport customs do sometimes these things"
Oh well, I understand, thank you...
It all depends on how you stipulate the statistics.
A lost bag can be found back again, even if it takes a long time. But a destroyed suitcase is another matter.
hm,unbelivable :shock:

Is it possible to get some info by Alitalia before flight, and,eventuly, to do some paper-work for "just-in-case" situation :?:

In US ,in one of southern states,I can't remember which one,exist huge shoping-center for lost flight-luggage
Art is about cosmic beauty.Science is about cosmic order.Religion is about cosmic purpose.

Comet

Post by Comet »

I had this problem with BA at Christmas. One of our bags came on a later flight, the other one had not even left Manchester for Heathrow and we eventually got that one back on New Year's Day.

Some of the baggage handlers leave alot to be desired.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

hakan

Post by hakan »

My customer just came back from the U.K with BA. His luggages were lost for 2 days when he flew from USA to U.K.
I guess he was lucky that they found his luggages!! Allegedly they were left behind in L.A. for 2 days???

tsv

Post by tsv »

Not at all surprised BA won this competition. They lost my baggage last time I flew with them and everyone I know who has flown with has the same story (except my mother-in-law who miracleously found her bags after a SYD-DME flight).

If they ever have a competition for crappy landings they'll win that to. Guaranteed.

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

I have to put in a good word for BA...I fly with them a lot. They have never lost my bags and as for bad landings never experienced one at all.

Clearly their public record on baggage is not good enough but its not as bad as disastorous some would like to portray.

chunk

Post by chunk »

tsv wrote:Not at all surprised BA won this competition. They lost my baggage last time I flew with them and everyone I know who has flown with has the same story (except my mother-in-law who miracleously found her bags after a SYD-DME flight).

If they ever have a competition for crappy landings they'll win that to. Guaranteed.
Can't recall many crappy landings with BA, well except for the time we touched the ground and took off again immediately - scaring the crap out of everyone on board. Then the genius cabin chief came out with an announcement that made everyone crap themselves even more.....making out it was a tech problem when in reality it was just bad weather. Idiot. No, not many crap landings but plenty crap experiences.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

@ Galaxy
Emirates wrote:One word can sum the whole thing up "Heathow"

Emirates
Terribly sorry for my sheer incompetence and lack of spelling ability in my extortionate act of negativity!

Ems :wink: