Cabin announcements heard by pilot?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Captain

Cabin announcements heard by pilot?

Post by Captain »

Does the pilot hear any annoucements made by cabin crew to the pax?

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Yes.
Aum Sweet Aum.

SN30952

Re: Cabin announcements heard by pilot?

Post by SN30952 »

Captain wrote:Does the pilot hear any annoucements made by cabin crew to the pax?
any?
If the pilot is in the toilet, he will hear them.... why do you ask, Captain?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Captain wrote:Does the pilot hear any annoucements made by cabin crew to the pax?
Yes, that's indeed possible. Why you ask Captain?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Yes, cockpit crew can indeed listen into whatever is said over the Passenger Address system from the cabin attendant's stations.

At many airlines, there is even the requirement to listen in during ground time, so they have some situational awareness of what is going on in the cabin prior to take-off and after landing.

Also, if the cockpit crew pushes their PA button to adress passengers directly, it overrides any PA made by cabin crew at that moment, so even if just to avoid stepping in to some commercial announcement made by the cabin crew, cockpit crew normally listens in to check the PA is clear before talking to their pax....

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

They can - if they choose to. And otherwise they don't. As I understand it, the pilots have an 'audio panel' where they can select what they hear and what not - and also where the signal from their microphone goes (pax P/A, ATC, flight deck intercom). How these facilities are used was already explained. There are some funny stories around about little mistakes in this field and their hilarious effects.

Captain

Post by Captain »

luchtzak wrote:
Yes, that's indeed possible. Why you ask Captain?
I was just curious. I was on a Ryanair flight and the stewardess starting to make the following announcement: "the captain has switched the fasten seat belt sign as we are shortly going to land..." The stewardess announced this way to early as there was a bit of turbulence and we were still 30 min from landing and hadn't started descending.

I was just wondering if the pilot would be aware of this announcement in this case.

Thanks for the info.

Captain

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

I presume the cabin attendant made a small mistake. If the FSB goes on, usually the purser contacts the pilots. If it's turbulence, they need to know if they can continue distributing meals, drinks, selling tax-free stuff... or if it's safer to stow things (for this reason they also need to know how much time they have till top of descent.)