Airport city code for Ghent (Gent)????

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

EB-Air

Airport city code for Ghent (Gent)????

Post by EB-Air »

Hi all!

I searching some airport codes, and came across this website: Airportcitycodes.

On that site, you can find the codes by country name, and this is the result for Belgium:

Belgium Airports
Airport Code City/Airport Name Country
ANR ANTWERP DEURNE Belgium
BRU BRUSSELS Belgium
CRL CHARLEROI GOSSELIES Belgium
GNE GHENT Belgium
KNO KNOKKE/HET ZOUTE Belgium
LGG LIEGE BIERSET Belgium
OST OSTEND Belgium

I do understand ANR, BRU, CRL, LGG and OST; but why GNE and KNO???
I don't know Knokke as well, maybe a heli-port?
But I do live near Ghent, and I remember that there used to be an airfield where now Flanders Expo can be found, but that was just an airfield, not an airport... Or is this just "old" information???

Regards,
Ben

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

There have been airports at Knokke and Ghent in the past. During my youth, I even helped launching gliders at Knokke. Now it is a golf course. And Ghent became Flanders Expo.
André
ex Sabena #26567

744rules

Post by 744rules »

Is this an site with historical data or does it claim to be up to date ?

:wink:

EB-Air

Post by EB-Air »

André,

Thank you for your explanation.
Do you know if this codes still exist nowadays? (because these "airports" doesn't exist anymore... - maybe that website is using outdated information...) As I can recall correct, Ghent was only a small airfield, just for general aviation, or was it bigger?
And has the airfield of Kortrijk (Wevelgem) also a code?

Regards,
Ben

SN30952

A site with historical data

Post by SN30952 »

744rules wrote:Is this an site with historical data or does it claim to be up to date ? :wink:
Since you like sites with historical data, this.

In the good old days, Sabena had regional offices/managements in Belgium. And communication where done by TELEX. So these offices got for reservation and other purposes a three letter code similar to the codes of airports.
The system for Belgium was a Q followed by 2 letters..
So Hasselt got QHA
Mons got QMO
but when the code was taken it had to be adjusted.
So Namur got QNM
Kortrijk got QKT
ANR, CRL, LGG, OST had a regular code.
Later when the reservation system came in service these codes where kept.
In the Netherlands the regional offices all had an airport: EIN, MST (the world's first international helicopter service), RTM...
Sabena had compared to other airlines many regional offices. The reason was that SN had a network of helicopter lines feeding Melsbroek. By 1960 this international passenger helicopter service from Brussels flew to Rotterdam, Antwerp, Lille, Eindhoven, Maastricht, Liege, Paris, Dortmund, Duisburg, Cologne and Bonn. It served Holland, France, Germany and Luxembourg.

Does somebody have any details about the operations from/to TURNHOUT in helicopter Bell 47D, somewhere in 1950.

Look @ this japanese website... SABENA HELICOPTER
Look @ RTM

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

yes, if I'm right, this codes still exists and they are used for flightplanning ;-)

Jumbolino.

rotor

Post by rotor »

KNO is indeed Knokke-Heist.

Since 8/10/2004 there is a new heliport. More info can be found at http://www.crownheli.be/knokke-heist.htm

We had our opening last friday with a great show and a visit of 30 helicopters, after the show we made a formation flight with these 30 helicopters. Afterwards the Seaking came by to say goodbye, also we had the helicopter MD520 of the Federal Police as a guest.

It was a very nice event to show that the heliport of Knokke-Heist is open :)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

rotor wrote:Since 8/10/2004 there is a new heliport. More info can be found at http://www.crownheli.be/knokke-heist.htm
Glad to see there are again aviation activities in Knokke. But a heliport will never replace an airfield.
André
ex Sabena #26567

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

There also seem to be airports that still seem to excist today

EBMT Munte
and EBGT Gent Industrie Zone (located near Zelzate)

But it may very well be only helicopter airports or airports with grass runways.

Kortrijk ICAO code is EBKT