Spotter Facilities at Brussels Airport in future

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

fostro

Spotter Facilities at Brussels Airport in future

Post by fostro »

We all know that there are no Spotter Facilities at Brussels Airport today. If we jump over the border to Amsterdam-Schiphol: there's a whole terrace for spotters! :o

Wouldn't be a great idea if BIAC would create something like that at BRU? Couldn't it be possible on the roof of the B-Terminal? If they let pay visitors to walk on it, they can slightly compensate the costs. To my opinion, there is a certain potential for that!

And what about a webcam? It can be perfectly be installed in the temporary control tower next to the A-Terminal, not? Then we can follow BRU activities 24/7/365 online :D

Jense

Post by Jense »

There won't change a lot in the future.
fostro wrote:Couldn't it be possible on the roof of the B-Terminal?
Think about the big costs: the renewal of the roof to make it accesible for visitors will cost a lot of money.
Think about how you are going to let people enter it.
Think about the 'terrorism-fear'. Think about the Americans standing at the end of it (UA, AA, DL, CO... they all have their gates at the and of the pier).
fostro wrote:And what about a webcam?
That's not a bad idea but I fear also that won't happen. Simply because BIAC is never responding neither listening to us, spotters.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Fostro,

The ideas you have are very nice....................on an other place, not at BRU.

You don't have nobody who will occupied this, they hate spotters at BRU. E.g. if there is something special at Abelag they use the current fence and hanging plastic foil so that you cannot take any picture.
Or when you are at the sandhills, with your car, the police send you away.

At this moment we have some good places: Water tower, sandhills, soundhill.

Your question about using the roof of the B-terminal. I have my doubt's about that. A lot of spotters came by car to the spotterplaces or by bike. I don't know if people want to pay everytime for a parkingplace and access to the B-terminal.

And why I saying this, some years ago I asked at BIAC itselfs to make a kind of spottersterras for BRU like those at Schiphol, but no response at all.

B737229

Post by B737229 »

Atlantis wrote:Or when you are at the sandhills, with your car, the police send you away.
Maybe try parking your car on the road and walking up to the sandhils! Common sense something helps!
Last edited by B737229 on 10 Nov 2005, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

I think we can be quite happy they made a road near the sound wall. I thaught there was comming a way which leads too the tower (so online acces with badge).

We have some spotterplaces like Atlantis mentioned, the only thing we need ... is traffic. Since I've been to Frankfurt I've started to realise how small EBBR realy is :?
Tot hier en verder

regi

Post by regi »

I remember we had to do armed guard at Zaventem, to keep the invasions of RPG wielding Palestians off bay - as it was said by our officers. It has been many years, but I do remember a particular note about the spotters. First of all, the officers told us that you are no terrorists, but guys with big lenzes. Secondly, if a patrol man on foot decides that there are too many spotters (no quantity been given, just "too many"), he can inform the airport police who will ask you to go away.
The army patrol men inside the perimeter are not allowed to leave the perimeter, to walk off the inner orbital road (except to inspect the drainage system), to shoot at the rabbits and traffic signs or to talk to people who are not on duty. They have to be constantly walking, even with a hot sun they can not take cover . Patrol men are not allowed to relieve themselves because the spotter lenzes are every where.
Reality is a bit different.
The many holes (by bullets and combat knives) in the traffic signs show frustration of bored paratroopers on duty.
You can have a 10 cm wide sun protection in the shadow of the lamp posts at the beginning of the runways.
The manure in the drainage shows how patrol men took cover from lenzes during a urgent relieve.
It was always great fun to drive the jeeps with the long antenna's out at the taxi stands. The antenna's made a ratling noise under the concrete beams, scaring the people like hell.
I am a bit surprised that nobody uploaded pictures of His Majesties Finest troopers on duty at Zaventem.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

@B737229

I have parked there several times on the road but you also, maybe, know that place is also used by motorcycles and those produce a lot of dust. That's not so good for our equipment if you stood there for some hours.

I hope one thing at the soundhill, I saw last couple of days people parked there car on the road between the soundhill and the runway while this is not allowed. On those days I didn't saw any police cars but if those guys noticed it they will maybe asked to leave on the soundhill, that will be nefast for the people who parked correct on the other site of the soundhill.

alfazulu

Post by alfazulu »

Other nefast for the soundhill,people,spotters,photographers climbing or sitting up the soundhill (I mean above on the concrete)WHY ??,yes I know you have a better view when planes are on final for rwy 25R,there its even photographs on the internet from this bad example.
How long goes BIAC this permit?

grt,

SN_Bigbirdy

Post by SN_Bigbirdy »

alfazulu wrote: How long does BIAC this permit?
Untill somebody fells backwards off the wall, and brakes his neck/back, becomes paralysed forever maybe. At that moment you'll find fences closing the entrance of the soundhill I guess...

Could it be that we will have new spotterplaces on the roofs of the carparks they're building at the moment? It brings you closer to the field, right?
If you can count the blades of my engines while they work, you are too close to be save
My pictures @ Jetphotos.net: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=10039

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

I don't think we have to complain, as said before in this thread we already have many nice places to go spot... Just use your common sense and you'll be fine and won't have any problems with the police...

I never had probs with the police, even when Bush visited BRU I had a polite talk with the people from "staatsveiligheid" and eventhough I was not allowed at the refugee centre they allowed me to go to the sandhill and take pictures from there...

Why would you take your car up the sandhill, that's just plain stupid and asking for trouble, leave your car and walk the small distance...

I for one am very happy that the soundwall will stay, a lot of speculation before that this road would be closed but now it turns out this is a public road... Just use your common sense and don't park your car there, there's enough room for parking in the vincinity...

An official spotters terrace would indeed be nice, but I doubt it will ever happen...

realplaneshaveprops

Post by realplaneshaveprops »

It's impossible to install a webcam in the temporary tower, because it's removed!

Koen

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

realplaneshaveprops wrote:It's impossible to install a webcam in the temporary tower, because it's removed!
Do you mean the Coca Cola Tower? It seems to me that it was still there a couple of weeks ago...
André
ex Sabena #26567

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

Gentlemen
Compared to most European countries we have it remarkably easy here in Brusssels. Provided you are sensible you will not be hassled or moved on and there are plenty of places for the photographer and the regi spotter.
With a few notable exceptions most UK and US airports have or are closing their limited facilities, this coupled with over zealous policing has made spotting there unpleasant.
As for getting a "spottersplaats" at the airport. Forget it...
Someone mentioned a lack of traffic. Get interested in biz jets, this is one of the best airports in Europe for biz.
Trust me we are very lucky here in Belgium.
El Nombre

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

At CHC we have no problem with police or anybody else for that matter. Parking is ok on the perimeter boundary. :laugh: