your favorite U.S. airline

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Favorite American airline

Total votes: 0

heathrow

your favorite U.S. airline

Post by heathrow »

whats your favorite american airline if you have one? Please do not include franchises under "other"(e.g. Messaba= Northwest). If other, please list. Why do you like this airline?

A318

Post by A318 »

Delta since they offer a nice product for a very acceptable price.

Greetz,

Erwin 8)
Last edited by A318 on 17 Oct 2005, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
A Whole Different Animal

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

I choose American Airlines because it's the only us airline I have flown so far and they had much legroom.

chunk

Post by chunk »

I have only done American domestically and they were OK - especially the friendly FA on a flight from DFW to Oakland. On the negative side their MD's are a bit vintage and broke down on the way back whilst sat waiting to taxi...made the trip back to Houston interesting.

Southwest I think are quite good. I have never had a delay on them and the service is fine for what you pay. The only thing I didn;t like were the rear facing seats though I suspect they aren;t there anymore.

Continental - I really don;t get the hype. Sure they serve food on flights over a certain length and ofer personal IFE on some flights across the pond. On the negative side however, they are very skimpy on the (pretty crappy) food across the Atlantic, charge you for beer (and NEVER have change) and the IFE (even if it is on personal screens) is often terrible. The standard of catering on every flight I took was even worse than KLM's in terms of quantity and quality - that says it all.

That leaves me with Northwest. Domestic economy I can't comment on 'cos I always get an upgrade thanks to Flying Blue Platinum card but I certainly can't fault first class. Especially the FA that kept serving me Minneapolis Wheat Beer (can't remember the name of it) from Detroit to Calgary last year - I didn;t even ask - she just checked my can every 20 minutes to make sure it was full! Food was ok as well. Across the pond they were great on the A330 to Detroit. KLM food basically and a great IFE system. On a flight back a few months ago I got upgraded on the DC10 and it was ok. Food was pretty poor though and Economy looked like HELL. NWA wins for me because of the A330 and domestic First!

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

American all the way!! (I admit that I am biased.) My main reason is the service I received when I flew first class in the 777 Flagship Suite. The food was exquisite, free alcohol, the seat was HUGE, and a large selection of movies rounded out the whole experience. It made my flights to and from London this past September fly by (no pun intended). :D :D
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

yagoceron

Post by yagoceron »

I would have voted jetBlue for the good feedback I read but I pick Frontier for its fresh image.

You could have added Alaska Airlines :wink:

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

jetblue. My godmother lives in NY and loves them. She aften flies them, and says they are really good service for what you pay.
I also love the livery, especially on the ERJ-190!!!!!

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

My godmother lives in NY and loves them. She aften flies them, and says they are really good service for what you pay.
You should tell her that they contract out their maintenance to South America AND they don't do walk-arounds after every flight. :wink:

av8or_guy

Post by av8or_guy »

i prefer US Airways myself on the A330 from FRA-CLT ,nice service in economy much better than the other major US cariers offer, delta allaways sucks except on rare cases of the B777... AA is ok but not the best food

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

Well, I don't think that South American maintenance is too bad, afterall Embraer come from Brazil, and thay can hardly be called a cheap useless company. And AA are exactly wonderfull, either.

yagoceron

Post by yagoceron »

Knight255 wrote: You should tell her that they contract out their maintenance to South America AND they don't do walk-arounds after every flight. :wink:
Are you sure of this or is it AA propaganda? :D:wink:

I've been a flight dispatcher for eight years and I've never seen a crew not doing a walk-around.

C_J

Post by C_J »

I like AA because of their codeshare with SN and I also like Continental because of their 767-400 in BRU.

To be honest, I don't have a lot of experience with American carriers.

chunk

Post by chunk »

Knight255 wrote:
My godmother lives in NY and loves them. She aften flies them, and says they are really good service for what you pay.
You should tell her that they contract out their maintenance to South America AND they don't do walk-arounds after every flight. :wink:
What's so wrong with that? I though most of the majors were doing that as well? I believe Mexico was mentioned as well with regard to NWA! Besides - what's wrong with that anyway....other than job losses. I don;t believe the workmanship will be of a lower standard.

I have never heard of a company not doing walkarounds either....is it not a requirement? Would a pilot not be a bit concerned if it was not done?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Hooters Air ;)

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

Are you sure of this or is it AA propaganda? icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

I've been a flight dispatcher for eight years and I've never seen a crew not doing a walk-around.

It's common practice at Southwest and JetBlue to my knowledge. Perhaps other airlines do it as well, but I can assure you that American DOES do a walkaround before every flight (as I did work for the company). Perhaps if you noticed hydraulic leaks and or oil leaks it would make you feel safer knowing that someone actually attempted to look for them instead of just saying "well it flew fine before so it must still be airworthy..." That mentality scares me. As for contracting out maintenance, yes most airlines do do this, HOWEVER not out of the country (to the best of my knowledge). AA contracts them out to a company in Tulsa that used to be owned by AA but they split, but it is the same facilities.

FedEx

Post by FedEx »

I've never flown with any of them, i choose Frontier for there great animal Tail Fins

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

I have been on 2 US airlines=Pan Am & United. PA was my first intenational flight(AKL-SYD & back). United I went from SYD-SFO.
I liked the service on United, with PA I can't comment(so long ago) :wink: :laugh: