Charleroi Airport, the new Stansted of continental Europe?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

In fact Ryanair will hold a press conference in Charleroi next week, so we don't have to wait much longer to hear what plans Ryanair have in the pipeline :D

avi8tor

Post by avi8tor »

So we'd better wait what O'Leary has to say for himself... I heared the rumour about 15 FR-aircraft in CRL as well.
The Belgian market is promising to become a real battlefield: Brussels Airlines with their b.light, SKYeurope which is rapidly increasing the flights to BRU, Easyjet who's putting it's first steps on the BRU-market (with the rumour of them starting a base here), Jet4you on CRL-CMN increasing flights from 3 to 6x and Ryanair with massive expansion plans...
Let's see who will survive! I do hope all of them will be successful cause Belgian Aviation has already had its share these past few years!

Fly'em!
Avi8tor :D :D :D

summersso

Post by summersso »

Buzz wrote:
There was a topic on here or A.net (don't remember that well) with a news article in it that claimed FR wanted 15 a/c based in CRL in al couple of years...
Once the new terminal is here, they will grow, that's a fact.
Buzz, here's the discussion I think you were referring to on Charleroi's new terminal:
wizz-air-from-brussels-charleroi-to-kat ... 19972.html

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

summersso wrote:
Buzz wrote:
There was a topic on here or A.net (don't remember that well) with a news article in it that claimed FR wanted 15 a/c based in CRL in al couple of years...
Once the new terminal is here, they will grow, that's a fact.
Buzz, here's the discussion I think you were referring to on Charleroi's new terminal:
wizz-air-from-brussels-charleroi-to-kat ... 19972.html
Thanks for the link, it is indeed all there...

FD-X

Post by FD-X »

Charlie Roy!
What about this press conference you promised for this week?

eu01

Post by eu01 »

I think MOL just hasn't finished bargaining yet (not necesserily in CRL, maybe at one or two other destinations). After all, it's about the airport taxes YOU will be paying :wink: and, err, maybe some marketing incentives he requires, as usually.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Humberside wrote:Is this terminal a replacement for the existing one?
Yes the new terminal will replace the old.

BSCA plans to build a new control tower and a new taxiway. :D

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Amongst the ten thousend millions the Belgian Railways will invest between 2008 and 2012, there are 150 millions for a railway connection to Charleroi airport. (according to Sudpresse newspapers, saturday).

eu01

Post by eu01 »

Btw. There were some rumours about a "big" press conference of FR in CRL a week or two ago, but nothing happened. Any news??

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

A recent press release by BSCA :
http://www.charleroi-airport.com/BSCA/s ... ent&Key=no

Opening of the new terminal is now foreseen at between mid-november and mid-january.
A new direct coach connection with Lille, from may 1st.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Yesterday, it was published on the Charleroi Airport website that the new terminal will open between 16 November 2007 and 15 Janury 2008.

When I watched the news on La Une at 13h, yestarday, there was a report on Charleroi Airport.
It was said that the new terminal building can handle 5 million passengers a year but it can be extendend to 7.5 million passengers a year by building an right and left extension.

During the interview it's has been said that the airport wants to become an international airport with intercontinental flights. A Japanese delegation will visit the airport next week for this.

I hope they will come ! :D

chunk

Post by chunk »

Used Charleroi Airport last summer - not in a rush to use it again. Ryanair are bad enough but that place made things worse. Updating the terminal is fine but it seems like more than the terminal that needs upgrading. We got told our return to PIK was cancelled due to weather when it was definately not bad. It seems that even the slightest bit of cloud is enough to make the runway dangerous..?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

the new terminal will change many aspects.
Cat III is also planed, so charleroi will have everything of an international airport soon.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Acid-drop wrote:the new terminal will change many aspects.
Cat III is also planed, so charleroi will have everything of an international airport soon.
The CatIII could be installed by Belgocontrol during 2007 and be operational in 2008. :D