Old Captain Ed here.

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
CaptainEd

Old Captain Ed here.

Post by CaptainEd »

Let's see now.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I
begin?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium
with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a
fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father
would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he
invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being
lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the
insane lament.

My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring
we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and
beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received
my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma
ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn
scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it..............

Nah, just kidding.

I was born in NYC 1931, depression years, we lived in a home with 4 generations under one roof. Great experience. Movet to Lon Gyland 1939, shot my way out of public schools, graduated USMMA KINGS POINT NY, became an ENS. USNR, got orders to Pensacola, and fulfilled my lifelong dream of becoming a pilot. I was no hotshot, believe me. Almost bilged out, but got my wings 1954, got a Banshee squadron.

Got out after 2 years, hired by TWA March 1957, just before they slammed the door shut. Furloughed after a year, got with Seaboard and Western, who took one look at me, and farmed me out to AER LINGUS as a Connie pilot.

http://airlines.afriqonline.com/images/px5112.jpg

Met a fair Collen there on my first DUBLIN layover at the METROPOLE.

Swept the poor child off her feet, married her in NY 45 years ago, had 5 kids in 5 years, one more later.

Getting a bit long, and I don't know therules here, so I'll continue later. The dear just called me to homade chicken soup. "Are ya coming, Ed?"

Be back later, please God.

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Welcome

MKAirlines

Post by MKAirlines »

Welcome to luchtzak enjoy your stay :lol:

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

Thanks, Gents.

Anyway, when SEABOARD lost the Aer Lingus contract, I was furloughed again, got a job with North Aamerica in LAX as a flight Test Engineer, and on the strength of that, I proposed bt mail, got a YES, sent herself a one way ticket to NY, we married and headed to LAX in my Rambler.

I wasn't crazy about the job, herself got pregnant on the drive West, and the Navy saved me by recalling me, got orders to VT-1 NAAS Saufley, and flew the T-34's for 3 years, and loved it. Meanwhile, I was recalled by TWA, so I took Military Leave, got orders to an R7V Connie Squadron VR-7A, at Tachikawa AFB. Three years with the USAF was enough for me, went back to TWA as a fairly senior FO, flew everything they had, got ATP rated on the B-707, 720, 727, 747, 757, 767. and L-1011. Retired after 30 on the L-10, just before they cut the retirements to nil.

No regrets. Living comfortably on The Jersey Shore, keeping in touch with all 6 kids, and 14 grandchildren.

Life is good.

I think I was born lucky, and luck still holding up.

Rago

Post by Rago »

Have a nice time Ed!!! Welcome

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for this most humourous introduction and welcome to Luchtzak, Captain Ed!
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Hello CaptainEd, welcome on www.luchtzak.be !

I saw a picture of you when you where young in another topic:

Anyway welcome on this website ;-)

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

My buddies in VF-152 dared my to get that tattoo. We got drunk in Pearl City, and 8 of them chipped in $5 a piece for me if I'd do it, so I did.

It was GOLD, and beautiful, but that was just the scab. The gilt color mixed with my blood, and when the GOLD scab fell off after a few days, I WINGS OF BLUE.

Oh well.

The CO of the WASP, Captain Needham, heard about it, and he actually paid me a visit to my quarters to shake my hand.. he thought that was the greatest. Others were not so enthusiastic.

The enlisted men loved me for it. My Plane Captain made sure I had the sharpest Banshee aboard.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Aer Lingus, banshee (Irish bean sídhe) Ed is Irish?

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

Second Generation "Narrowback", actually. I've got the appearance of an Irishman. I have been mistaken for the late, lamented Tip O'Neil on several occasions.

Wife is a thoroughbred from Lucan, still maintains her Irish Republic Citizenship.

Kids are Eamonn, Patrick Sarsfield, Deirdre, Eileen, Timothy, and Kevin Barry Toner.

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

hello Ed!

If you got irish blood, then you are not so bad after all :lol: .
Get a Murphy! :drink:

Cheers!

Seb.

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

You really have had a wonderful life, haven't you Mr Toner. How many hours have you got all-up do you reckon? You must have quite a few with your different ratings (ATP rated on the B-707, 720, 727, 747, 757, 767. and L-1011) plus the "Connie". and others!
Do you know that Qantas have a "Connie" that they rescued from storage at Davis Monthan Air Base at Tucson, Arizona.They refurbished it & flew it back to SYD. I think it might be on static display somewhere; I will look it up & let you know, who knows, you might want to go to Aussie & have a look at the old girl.
Oh yeah, welcome to luchtzak, a man of your calibre is most welcome here; I'm sure everybody will agree!
Last edited by bigjulie on 29 Jan 2005, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

Captain Ed, the QANTAS "Connie" is registerred as VH-EAG (cn 1049F-4176) . Built in 1954.
It is owned by the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society, their website is : www.hars.org.au.

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

BigJulie - Thanks. Actually, I was never ATP rated on the Connie, Martin, or CV-800. Flew F/O as a junior puke.

I have 7 log books, and I reckon pretty close to 20,000 hours, no accidents or violations, only blew one tire, and that was a CLE in 4" of standing water they never told me about. Went hydroplaning in a B-727.

Yes, I am a VERY luck man. I can't explain it, and I certainly did nothing to deserve it.

I think my excellent NAVY training in 1953 had a lot to do with it.

http://www.davepattersonart.com/dpa/img/art/102.jpg

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

You were flying 2 years before I was born!

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

What do you think about the Qantas "Connie", have you been to the web site, yet? It took a massive restoration job to get it back into flying condition. She does flying displays in Australia, which is a good thing, it must be good to hear those four engines raring to take off.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :D :D

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

After my tour instructing in the T-34 at NAAS Saufley, in Nov. 1962, I got orders to VR-7A. This was what we Salts call and R7V, USAF C-121, the old Connie anyway you slice it.

Ended up under the 315th Air Wing in Tackikawa AFB. Kind of a mixed bag. Never had anything to do with the USAF, or the Navy multi-engined folks.

At this time, Eamonn was 2 (He just celebrated is 45th today), Pat was 1, and herself was 7 months pregnant with what turned out to be Deirdre. Both boys in diapers, and we brought her mother Mary along, visiting from Dublin. Loaded our Earthly posessions in the NEW Rambler, a 1962 one, and headed for NAS MOFFET, Mt. View CA, where I had flown Banshee's in 1955-56.

Long drive, but NOT DULL! Dropped Mom off it PHX with another daughter, Marlene had Deirdre in Feb. 1965 at MOFFETT.

We left MOFFET 6 weeks later, with 3 in diapers, and off we went to Tachikawa. Talk about BUSY!

Marlene had 2 more in Tachikawa, Eileen and Timothy.

Flew the Connies all over SE Asia, mostly AIREVAC, until Jan. 1970, when I got out, and returned to TWA as a fairly senior FO, with 5 years Military Leave accrued, flew the CV880, then progressed up to retirement after 30, Captain on the L-1011.

On the return trip on a PAA Charter Tachikawa to Travis AFB, we had 5 kids, 3 in diapers, and 23 pieces of hand carried luggage. We were met by Marlene's Brother Bernard who lived in San Jose. He showed up in an old DeSoto 2 door, WITH HIS WIFE!

Cheeze.

You gotta be YOUNG for that stuff.

Hey, it's a great life, isn't it?

:D

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

Happy birthday to your son, Eamonn :thumbsup: :wave: :waving: :kvole: .
CaptainEd wrote: Hey, it's a great life, isn't it?

Yes it certainly is a great life and you my "friend", have seen more life than a lot of people I know.
20,000 hours and no accidents or violations, you must be a very careful pilot & if I had the chance I would have no hesitation in going up aloft with you. Have you been to NZ while flying at all? It's a great country :plane:

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

bigjulie - Many thanks.

Never got to NZ or Australia, but always wanted to.

I think the most fun I ever had while airborne was the 8 hours or so I spent in a ParaPlane. I got a 65th birthday present from one of the kids for a demo ride in a Paraplane, and it was a blast!

http://www.paraplane.com/history.html

It was one of the first succesful powered parachutes, and after my first experience, I decided I had to have one.

As a result, I got to fly it for about 8 hours at their field in NJ. I wanted one with a huge US flag for a canopy, plunked down $2,000 deposit for the $8,000 machine. For one reason or another, they couldn't deliver, so I got my money back.

Steve Snyder was a genius, and a great guy, but no businessman.

These powered chutes are great fun, and the last I heard were completely UNregulated by the FAA. No physical, certificate, registration, etc.. There is a wide variety of them available today.

GO FOR IT!!

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/188005_ca ... ration.jpg

capt_mainwaring

Post by capt_mainwaring »

Met a fair Collen there on my first DUBLIN layover at the METROPOLE.

Swept the poor child off her feet, married her in NY 45 years ago, had 5 kids in 5 years, one more later.
Poor girl-she never stood a chance!!