Photo usage without permission

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Glider

Photo usage without permission

Post by Glider »

Dear all,

I'd like you to watch to this link:
http://www.eurotrib.com/story/2006/4/14/15613/5483

And then I would like you to take a look to this picture; a picture I took when I was on an essay period in Lyon-Airport:
http://coppermine.luchtzak.be/displayimage-440-78.html

I think, with a ''little' help from the topic title, what I mean. My picture has been used by this website, without permission. Anyone had the same experience? And what did you do? Also, the picture is uploaded on the Coppermine gallery, but still I don't think by that everyone has the right to use a picture from anyone else? Or is there a delay on that, let's say a couple of years?

Also, the picture dates from the year 2005, and has been put on that website in 2006. It's now the end of 2009, and I only noticed it now. Is there still something to do...? Should I contact them, and if yes, what should I ask... Eurotrib doesn't seem a small organisation to me, so IMO they should know what to do before using one of those pictures, isn't it?

Sorry for all those questions, but this has never happened to me, and I'm not really a 'legal expert'..

Seeing a lot of question marks at the time, I'd like to read some of your advice. Thanks very much!

Regards,
Wim

galaxy

Re: Photo usage without permission

Post by galaxy »

Should I contact them, and if yes, what should I ask...
You can say you are very proud for using the picture you have made and ask if they need some more,for example. :D

regi

Post by regi »

strange.
It is not so difficult to get a picture of an airport from your photographer.
If you have a photographer...
If you don't, go to the nearest airport and make some shots. Takes you 30 to 60 minutes go and return, depending if you took a coffee on the road or not.

So, the use of your picture is the proof that this organisation has very little back up.

I would feel proud that my picture was stolen to be used as an illustration for an article.

But it seems that the article appeared in the "local community advertisement paper".

I bet that a member of this site knows more about it. Otherwise he would not have seen your coppermine picture, I guess.

regi

Post by regi »

There is some similarity to the great site airlinemeals.
It was set up by 1 guy, and still run by him, if I am right.

When you want to upload pictures you agree that these pictures may be used by others.

But there is a catch in this: imagine you give a negative and faulty report. And the airline sues you. I wonder what is your legal position in such a case.

http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexUpload.html

AirlineMeals.net often receives requests from magazines and newspapers of pictures that appear on the website to print in their publications.
By submitting pictures to AirlineMeals.net you (the submittor) are giving permission for the pictures to be used in other forms of media, such as school papers, newspapers, magazines, tv programs or a book.
The webmaster reserves the right to submit those pictures he feels will best promote the site.
AirlineMeals.net is an independent website and publishes actual pictures of actual inflight meals. We cannot be held responsible for any damage done by the publication of such images.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

The writer of that article has been a member of luchtzak for a few years now, however not so active in the past months he contributed articles in the past. I guess he used your picture unintentional. You can always ask him 'ELCO B' is the name.