Already heard from Ubuntu ? Free OS in Linux

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
luchtzak

Already heard from Ubuntu ? Free OS in Linux

Post by luchtzak »

Hi all,

have anyone of you already heard from Ubuntu www.ubuntu.com

it appears to be a free operating system (like windows) based on Linux. Any experiences with it?

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

not yet but will do as soon as I have an extra HD. But, try the bootable cd, I think Ubunto has it somewhere.

Edit: downloading and will run the live cd on my laptop

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

I have worked with Ubunto at School, I used for working with C++ so I don't have that mutch expirance with it. The desktop is verry similar to Windows.

Greetz,

Dave

AlexanderM

Post by AlexanderM »

As alternative OS, I prefer Mandriva linux (http://www.mandrivalinux.com). It works fine, is quite easy and it's got everything you need.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

UBUNTU is actually a Swahili expression, translating more or less to "I am too stupid to install Debian"

jan_olieslagers

Re: Already heard from Ubuntu ? Free OS in Linux

Post by jan_olieslagers »

luchtzak wrote:Hi all,
have anyone of you already heard from Ubuntu www.ubuntu.com
it appears to be a free operating system (like windows) based on Linux. Any experiences with it?
On a more serious note: dear and beloved and much appreciated Mr. Webmaster, you seem to be mixing up things. First and above all, you can never claim WHATEVER THING FREE to be "like windows" - windows is a commercial product and not free at all, neither in the technical nor in the commercial sense.

Let's then put things right: Linux is an operating system, like Windows or DOS or VMS or OS390 or Solaris or HP-UX or BSD or CP/M. Other than most others, Linux is a community driven O/S, it is not the property of any commercial organisation or company but rather is brought by a lot of individuals each doing their little bit of voluntarism. The end product Linux being a very solid kernel and a zillion options and accessories floating about the WWW, available without much effort neither any expense, from www.linux.org and many other places.

The kernel and surrounding software being freely available, geeks could download what they wanted, adapt it to their particular hardware, and to their software requirements, and set up a working Linux environment to great satisfaction and zero expense. But many more people were willing to pay a modest priuce for having their job done for them. Companies like Suse and RedHat compiled mutually compatible utlities with recent kernels and produced "distributions";, then marketed these for 100-200 euro's or so.

Ubuntu is, in my understanding, just one more packaging of software available on the www for free, in a handsome package. I understand it is easy to install so it could be a nice first step for al those wanting something else than Redmonts next commercial move.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 10 Jul 2006, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

http://newgrounds.com/portal/search.php ... =j&x=0&y=0
A lot of free operating systems here! :lol:
Now seriously tough: I don't think I would use a free operating system instead of windows. I can see no way that it can be more powerfull. Also: my father used Linux for a while on a small partition on his disk. He really preferred Windows. :roll:
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

AlexanderM

Post by AlexanderM »

Which OS is the best for completely depends on what you want to do with it. If you're a gamer, gaming industry doesn't really give you a choice, but if you just want to read mails, and browse aviation forums etc on the web it's really ridiculous to pay hundreds of euros for a copy of windows, while there are various operating systems available for free that are better suited for web-browsing (no spyware, virusses etc.). It's getting time that more people realise they are paying far too much for something that only works half.