Photos from my Visit to Brussels (with Beer Photos)

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Photos from my Visit to Brussels (with Beer Photos)

Post by Comet »

A few days ago we went to Brussels to buy some beer. We had two nights in a decent hotel (the best we've stayed in when we've been in Brussels) and actually managed to get out for a drink at night, which we've never been able to do before because the hotels have always turned out to be in bad areas, the kind you don't walk about in at night. We also bought nice chips from a stall near Falstaff (called Fritland).

The beers we bought in Bier Tempel. Pride of place goes to Leffe Vieille Cuvee at the front, the rarest of the beers and the only Leffe I would import from Belgium. This is only the third bottle I have ever seen of this beer, needless to say they only had that one bottle. It is now an ornament in the flat.

The beers again. This time we managed to get some of the elusive Christmas brews, including Tongerlo, Gouden Carolus, Corsendonk, Abbaye des Rocs. Petrus, Ename Dubbel and Atomium beer made up the rest of the selection. Sloeber wasn't present because we'd got hold of some a few days before.

The Grand Place lit up at night. This is the first time I've seen it like this and could not resist a photo.

Another scene of the Grand Place at night.

A weird scuplture near the entrance to Galeries Saint Hubert.

We drank in two pubs while we were there. The first one was De Pauw on the Grand Place, I had Primus and VC10 had Tongerlo (don't remember if it was Blond or Tripel). The second one was A la Mort Subite (the "Morty Cafe"), which can be seen behind the sculpture of the cat. This place had character, and has its original 1928 decor and is in the same family which founded it. In here we had Mort Subite (what else?) Frambozen for VC10 and Kriek for me.

The Morty Cafe.

Inside the Morty Cafe.

Mort Subite Kriek, Morty cafe.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Mort Subite is in all the guidebooks I have on Belgium, it is such an institution. We had always wanted to try it, but this was the first time we have had the opportunity. I can recommend it, it does have alot more character than other places (I've been on the Bush Amber tonight, and I am having to keep correcting this :oops: ) We will certainly go there again because Falstaff has gone down the pan.
Louise

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

I didn't realize Brussels had a bad area.

Stoney

Re: Photos from my Visit to Brussels (with Beer Photos)

Post by Stoney »

Comet wrote:A few days ago we went to Brussels to buy some beer. We had two nights in a decent hotel (the best we've stayed in when we've been in Brussels) and actually managed to get out for a drink at night, which we've never been able to do before because the hotels have always turned out to be in bad areas, the kind you don't walk about in at night.
what area would that be then? I only know a few areas where you wouldn't want to come out at night in Brussels but I can't imagine there are any hotels there... Please elaborate...

Comet

Post by Comet »

There are many hotels near the Midi station, we were in one the first time we visited Brussels and you had to be bussed from the hotel to the centre because we were told not to go out walking in the area. At least last time we were there we were in a better one nearer to the Bourse and the centre (one with the cumbersome name of Eurostars Royal Embassy Grand Place or something). We went out each night we were there without any problem at all.
Louise

VC10

Post by VC10 »

No areas in Brussels regarded as "rough" could be anything like as bad as some areas in Scarborough!!

On the subject of beer and pubs though, wasn't the Morte Subite pub notorious for its surly waiters? I must say, that the guy who served us was quite pleasant!!
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

Monks Tavern in PHL has a good selection of Belgian beers.

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

Make that "Monk's Cafe", 16th and Spruce, a "safe" section, BTW.

http://www.monkscafe.com/